Author Topic: Senator Feinstein to introduce a new AWB  (Read 77807 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Senator Feinstein to introduce a new AWB
« on: December 16, 2012, 04:14:17 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/16/dianne-feinstein-assault-weapons-ban_n_2311477.html

The Huffington Post is reporting that Senator Feinstein will be introducing a new AWB when the new Congress begins.  Hopefully this discussion will go better than the last AWB thread.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

slingshot

• friend
Re: Senator Feinstein to introduce a new AWB
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 04:27:08 PM »
I saw her on Meet the Press this morning.  She said the bill will be simultaneously submitted to the House and Senate.  It entails banning 940 firearms and that includes the sale, transfer?, and poessession of these firearms.  The bill if passed as written would be retroactive.  That is what I think she said, but not what is in the article above.  It also bans the poessession and use of magazines (etc) which hole more than 10-rounds.  This is pretty hard core.

My version is a little different from the linked article.  This AWB is certainly not a renewal.

You can watch the entire show by going to the NBC website.  I think that I am going to watch it again for some of the finer points.

Added:  It is not RETROACTIVE but PROSPECTIVE.  I wanted to clarify this as that would be a huge deal.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 04:37:18 PM by slingshot »
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 04:28:53 PM »
She's 79 years old now.  Any word on her health?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 04:31:39 PM »
I saw her on Meet the Press this morning.  She said the bill will be simultaneously submitted to the House and Senate.  It entails banning 940 firearms and that includes the sale, transfer, and poession of these firearms.  The bill if passed as written would be retroactive.  That is what I think she said, but not what is in the article above.  It also bans the poession and use of magazines (etc) which hole more than 10-rounds.  This is pretty hard core.

You can watch the entire show by going to the NBC website.

How does crap like this even PRETEND to get around the prohibition on ex-post-facto laws???

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 04:33:58 PM »
We need a ban on assault congresscritters, considering how they continue to assault us with nonsensical laws and restrictions on our liberty.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 04:38:31 PM »
I wonder what Heller's "weapons in common use" clause would do to a law like this in .

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 04:41:24 PM »
I think we are going to find out relative to Heller and individual rights.  Never stopped them from trying to pass an unconstitutional law before.  Just look at Obama Care.  Then the issue of new nominations to the Surpeme Court come into play that will likely happen during the next 4-years.

Sandy Hook appears to have lasting ramifications.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 04:52:35 PM »
How does crap like this even PRETEND to get around the prohibition on ex-post-facto laws???

They really don't give a *expletive deleted*it about the constitution, they just don't have the honesty say so, or to try to amend it. 
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 04:53:43 PM »
Republican majority in the House, and slim Democratic margin in the Senate.

How is this going to pass  ???  [popcorn]

Or will the Emporer just decree it ?  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 04:57:34 PM »

Because the rule only applies to penalising people for past conduct.  It does not mean that anything you ever bought cannot be confiscated.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 05:05:17 PM »
Because the rule only applies to penalising people for past conduct.  It does not mean that anything you ever bought cannot be confiscated.
They wantz my gunz....they'd better bring THEIR GUNZ. [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: >:D >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 05:06:26 PM »
They wantz my gunz....they'd better bring THEIR GUNZ. [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] [ar15] >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: >:D >:D

Saying things like that strongly increases the chance that they will indeed take your guns
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 05:06:56 PM »
Saying things like that strongly increases the chance that they will indeed take your guns
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

birdman

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 05:15:12 PM »

Takings clause?  It doesn't specify real estate (its common use) it says "private property", and since "just compensation" is pretty damn easy to determine given market values and numerous insurance cases settled by judges, it would be tough to do a confiscation.  Remember, this isn't gold (that worked due to packing threats, and the fact it was actually money then, and thus market value was established, and it was an "exchange".

The government has never really been able to confiscate anything, only make its use or future production illegal or regulated (see drugs, leaded gas, Hughes amendment, etc)

If the penalty for not surrendering property is criminal, then ex post facto applies, so possession becomes a civil matter or eminent domain.  

Extension of eminent domain to objects is a big stretch, and would be challenged heavily.  Additionally, even if the takings clause were twisted to allow this, the .gov can simply not afford to provide fair value, and thus nearly ever case would be challenged.

Additionally could the .gov even afford it?  There are 300 million firearms, even if 1/3rd are eligible, and the average price is $300-500, that's $30-50 billion, plus the economic effects of killing that industry...and the calls from those companies to their congress critters.

Molon labe.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 05:20:50 PM »

After watching you for months, I've determined that your reckless full-auto use of emoticons is unacceptable. As such, I propose the ECA (emoticon control act)
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 05:21:12 PM »
I suspect the prices of firearms and magazines under consideration wil rise sharply, as they did in late '94.  I have found no online retailer that shows 9mm Gockazines in stock.  Botach doesn't count. (They lie)  I ordered anyway. I will report the outcome.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 05:25:51 PM »
After watching you for months, I've determined that your reckless full-auto use of emoticons is unacceptable. As such, I propose the ECA (emoticon control act)

As long as I can still use "the thing that goes up" I will be happy!!!! :-* [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] :-* :-* [popcorn] [popcorn] :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 05:50:11 PM »
I wonder if Feinstein's bill is going to ban fully automatic weapons, or just the "semi-automatic assault rifles." Because it would be rather humorous if they banned all of the semi-auto stuff and forgot that the Title II stuff is still available.

'Course, that would just be a good excuse to go ahead and ban the automatics.  ;/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 05:51:10 PM »
As long as I can still use "the thing that goes up" I will be happy!!!! :-* [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil] :-* :-* [popcorn] [popcorn] :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now, now, this is a family-friendly forum.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 05:54:49 PM »
Time to start writing and calling your representative now.  With a Republican majority in the House they can keep it from even being heard.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 06:02:47 PM »
You're assuming that the GOP has a spine
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 06:09:59 PM »
I wonder if Feinstein's bill is going to ban fully automatic weapons, or just the "semi-automatic assault rifles." Because it would be rather humorous if they banned all of the semi-auto stuff and forgot that the Title II stuff is still available.

'Course, that would just be a good excuse to go ahead and ban the automatics.  ;/

Intriguing notion.

Time to finish that 26mm flare rifle off properly, and look into a Tec9, Uzi, or full auto MPA... hmm.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 06:21:21 PM »
Well, we have a couple weeks to ponder it and then the bill will be introduced we can read it hopefully.  It sounds more restrictive than the last one where certain qualities combined made a gun illegal.  This time it seems to be just "semi-automatic".  Don't be surprised if this gets support, that semi-auto handguns are rolled into the mix.  This creates a huge 2A issue.

If the Democrats are up to their usual dealings and this bill gets little traction, look for them to try to attach it to another bill such as spending cuts.  I hope both Democrats and Republicans both see that as offensive.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 06:31:04 PM »
Just got back from a football watching party with a bunch of lawyers, including several staffers for Congress-critters.  The sooting came up, and the talk of these staffers is that there has been email traffic about intoducing legislation to outlaw all autos, semi and full.  Plan to stand on the theory that 2A will be satisfied by allowing private ownership of other guns, like revolvers.  Push the emotional edge to gain bipartisan support.  No mention of retroactive application//confiscation, amd I sure wasn't bringing it up/planting seeds.

I've now seen similar soundbites on the news.  This is scary stuff, as I've now heard some gunnys say they could live with that
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2012, 06:31:25 PM »
They really don't give a *expletive deleted* about the constitution, they just don't have the honesty say so, or to try to amend it. 

I think Bill Whittle has given possibly the most direct and concise summary concerning this.

http://youtu.be/bNzPVqgFRSg

To the OP: I'm starting to wonder if 35 standard capacity magazines for my AR is enough.  =|