Author Topic: Any signs of a new run on gun purchases yet?  (Read 101085 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Any signs of a new run on gun purchases yet?
« Reply #425 on: March 11, 2013, 07:32:50 PM »
Don't need 'em.  I've got 5 factory magazines, and a pile of KCI, now rebuilt with decent springs.  I'll be OK.

A shop in the next town south of me put their business on hiatus back in Nov.  Some financial manipulation, to get them out from under a building they couldn't afford.  Anyway, I got word they're back open, in a new location, so I went to see what they had.

Nothing.  A few scraps of ammo, some AR parts, and not much else.  They're trying to get stock in.

Handgunworld Show Episode 221 -- Got Ammo?.  "It reminds people of South Africa during the embargo.  You shoot 9mm ball, because that's all you can get."
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #426 on: March 15, 2013, 12:08:36 PM »
I had a .223 ammo sighting last night at the local Fleet Farm.
20 rd boxes of WWB 55gr for  $10+change- thy must have had 30 of them in stock. More than I wanted to pay.
I didn't buy any, but I ended up buying a spam can of 54r ammo.
Sort of regret not buying a 5.45 upper+mags- they had about a dozen spam cans of 5.45 ammo in stock.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #427 on: March 15, 2013, 01:21:23 PM »
Interviewing for a job in two hours in Menominee Falls, which will give me good proximity to FF during lunch breaks if I get it.

It's about the ONLY decently priced place in SE WI to buy ammo off the shelf.
I promise not to duck.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #428 on: March 15, 2013, 03:57:11 PM »
Interviewing for a job in two hours in Menominee Falls, which will give me good proximity to FF during lunch breaks if I get it.

MenomOnee.  Spell my hometown correct dammit :)
Its Me-no-monee

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #429 on: March 15, 2013, 04:16:33 PM »
I had a .223 ammo sighting last night at the local Fleet Farm.
20 rd boxes of WWB 55gr for  $10+change- thy must have had 30 of them in stock. More than I wanted to pay.
I didn't buy any, but I ended up buying a spam can of 54r ammo.
Sort of regret not buying a 5.45 upper+mags- they had about a dozen spam cans of 5.45 ammo in stock.
I guess I am working on my 5.45 upper.  My 5.45 Spikes Tactical upper won't shoot the surplus stuff.  1 in 5 rounds went off despite fairly deep dimples in the primers.  Same ammo went off just find in my Tantal.  I got a high power hammer spring in this week to try.  Not sure what the next step is.  I have a rail and red dot on the way for my AK and plenty of ammo for my AK as a backup.  Some rays of sunshine in a ammo poor world.

THere is a gun show weekend after next in Houston.  I think I'll continue to pass on them until at least wholsale prices and stocks recover a little.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #430 on: March 15, 2013, 06:17:05 PM »

Me-no-monee

Do doo de doo doo...

Me-no-monee

Doo doo doo doo....

Me-no-monee

Da doo doo, da doo doo, da doo doo doo doo doo!
I promise not to duck.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #431 on: March 15, 2013, 06:32:05 PM »
Do doo de doo doo...

Doo doo doo doo....

Freak.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #432 on: March 15, 2013, 07:49:39 PM »
I tried to find that tune on youtube but have no idea what the title is.  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #433 on: March 15, 2013, 07:52:08 PM »
I tried to find that tune on youtube but have no idea what the title is.  :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_tupPBtWQ

Mahna Mahna
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #434 on: March 15, 2013, 07:54:06 PM »
Menomenah

Barack Obama

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #435 on: March 15, 2013, 07:57:12 PM »
Do doo de doo doo...

Doo doo doo doo....

I laughed my ass off at this
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

brimic

• friends
« Reply #436 on: March 15, 2013, 08:50:03 PM »

Ah. I should have mentioned that I was at the West Bend store. The Germantown store is much bigger, but the West Bend store gets a lot less traffic...Hope you had some luck at that store.

I guess I am working on my 5.45 upper.  My 5.45 Spikes Tactical upper won't shoot the surplus stuff.  1 in 5 rounds went off despite fairly deep dimples in the primers.  Same ammo went off just find in my Tantal.  I got a high power hammer spring in this week to try.  Not sure what the next step is.  I have a rail and red dot on the way for my AK and plenty of ammo for my AK as a backup.  Some rays of sunshine in a ammo poor world.

Check your hammer spring. Its really easy to install it upside down. It will look mostly correct and will still dimple your primers really well, but it won't set them off reliably. Worse, when you buy a LPK, some drunken monkey/gremlin/deranged practical joker will more often than not already have the spring pre-installed on the hammer upside down.

Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #437 on: March 16, 2013, 12:18:39 AM »
Ah. I should have mentioned that I was at the West Bend store. The Germantown store is much bigger, but the West Bend store gets a lot less traffic...Hope you had some luck at that store.

Check your hammer spring. Its really easy to install it upside down. It will look mostly correct and will still dimple your primers really well, but it won't set them off reliably. Worse, when you buy a LPK, some drunken monkey/gremlin/deranged practical joker will more often than not already have the spring pre-installed on the hammer upside down.

Yeah, I'm sure the Mana-manah or the Germantown store is going to be picked over, but it'll still be better than Walmart, Gander, or the other chain, Farm Fleet in Waukesha. I could also probably swing in early in the mornings on my way into work if I get that job...

BTW birdman, I know how to spell Menomonee Falls,  =D I was at a Starbucks waiting for my headhunter/pimp to show before going to the client for an interview, and my Android phone just autocompleted it in the other way the tribe spells it with an "i", vs. the municipality and I didn't notice.

Considering my phone knew stuff like "Wauwatosa", "Waukesha" and "Oconomowoc" right from the box, I just presumed the autocomplete was pulling from Google location services of some such. :P
I promise not to duck.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #438 on: March 16, 2013, 09:26:17 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure the Mana-manah or the Germantown store is going to be picked over, but it'll still be better than Walmart, Gander, or the other chain, Farm Fleet in Waukesha. I could also probably swing in early in the mornings on my way into work if I get that job...

BTW birdman, I know how to spell Menomonee Falls,  =D I was at a Starbucks waiting for my headhunter/pimp to show before going to the client for an interview, and my Android phone just autocompleted it in the other way the tribe spells it with an "i", vs. the municipality and I didn't notice.

Considering my phone knew stuff like "Wauwatosa", "Waukesha" and "Oconomowoc" right from the box, I just presumed the autocomplete was pulling from Google location services of some such. :P

Fair enough.  Want to have fun?  Ask non-SEWI folks how to spell mukwonago. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #439 on: March 16, 2013, 09:37:56 AM »
Menomenah

Quote from: old guys
The question is: Who cares!
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #440 on: March 16, 2013, 11:32:09 AM »

I'll certainly check it.  I installed the trigger and put the lower together so I could only blame myself.  The rifle works fine with Wolf or Silver Bear 5.45.  I realized I hadn't ever shot surplus through it and did so the other day only to see it misfire.  I haven't actually asked Spike's about it yet either.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #441 on: April 04, 2013, 08:58:34 AM »
Any signs of a new run on gun purchases yet?

From today's keepandbeararms.com news page: 70,291,049 Background Checks for Gun Purchases Under Obama.

The FBI conducted 14,409,616 background checks in 2010, 16,454,951 in 2011, and 19,592,303 in 2012.

Add to that the first three months of 2013 (2,495,440, 2,309,393 and 2,209,407, respectively) and the total number of background checks under President Obama comes to 70,291,049.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #442 on: April 04, 2013, 09:41:37 AM »
Fair enough.  Want to have fun?  Ask non-SEWI folks how to spell mukwonago. 

And us Okies get crap about the names of some of our towns.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #443 on: April 14, 2013, 07:26:03 PM »
I think the hardware side of the business is starting to cool off. My local gun stores have ak mags, ar mags, and some rifles and accessories in stock.

Ammo is still scarce, especially 22lr.
7.62x39 fmj and hp are available in some stores.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #444 on: April 14, 2013, 10:36:01 PM »
I think the hardware side of the business is starting to cool off. My local gun stores have ak mags, ar mags, and some rifles and accessories in stock.

Ammo is still scarce, especially 22lr.
7.62x39 fmj and hp are available in some stores.
Things are still tight but seem to be loosening up. LGS has EBR's, priced a little higher than normal but not enough to make you laugh at them. Ammo trickles in and runs out, but it's getting there and slowly but surely it's calming down.

Was at the local flea market yesterday and saw a reasonable amount of ammo available and still getting packed up at the end of the day. A couple of months ago they could have been selling their $22 50 round box of 9mm FMJ by the truckload, not so much now.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #445 on: April 14, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »
The local Cabela's had a handful of gen 4 9mm and .40 S&W FDE Glocks for $599 when I was there today.
Andy