Author Topic: Ammo shortage prediction thread.  (Read 5777 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Ammo shortage prediction thread.
« on: February 01, 2013, 10:10:38 AM »
How long will shelves be bare?

What will post-craze prices look like?

Why?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Ammo shortage prediction thread.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
90 days longer.

.22 will be pretty much unavailable until May, along with 9mm and .223.

.308/.30-06/7.62x39/.45acp/.40 will resurface by the end of February, but still command a premium for several months.  Prices will start to fall in June.

The myriad of hunting cartridges are still available to my experience, and will remain available, but will see a 10-20% increase in price.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 10:43:01 AM »
Yeah, I'm thinking pretty much what AZRedhawk44 said.  I expect all ammo to increase in price permanently even when stocks are back to normal. 

I'm thinking of getting out of .45ACP.  I should probably sell it now.  >:D
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 10:46:27 AM »
For once I agree with AZred.  However, I also predict that in about 4-6 months there will be an excessive surplus, especially of bulk practice ammo.  In 6 months there will be an excessive surplus of magazines and AR stuff, also.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 10:47:10 AM »
1) A while.

2) Different.

3)  Because that's the way it is.

What do I win?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 10:56:48 AM »
For once I agree with AZred.  However, I also predict that in about 4-6 months there will be an excessive surplus, especially of bulk practice ammo.  In 6 months there will be an excessive surplus of magazines and AR stuff, also.

I doubt it. Ammo manufacturers tend not to expand their production during these rushes. Because why build up excessive capacity that is only needed once or twice a decade. Due to inventory taxes, makes virtually no sense to keep a massive amount of product on the shelves.

Ammo prices will be high for a while. Supply and demand. They'll go down, but not 90's level. Prices have been going up for a long while. Metal prices have gone up, so have fuel/energy prices. Cheap surplus is getting harder and harder to find.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 11:05:44 AM »
I doubt it. Ammo manufacturers tend not to expand their production during these rushes. Because why build up excessive capacity that is only needed once or twice a decade. Due to inventory taxes, makes virtually no sense to keep a massive amount of product on the shelves.

ATK/Federal aren't going to stop pumping out 9mm and .223, sure.

Olin/Winchester will keep on making 9mm.

UMC/Remington... I dunno.  Never really been a consumer of their products.  Hate their rimfire ammo, and their centerfire has always been more expensive than WWB or Federal.  Not sure what they would focus on, and don't really care.

Hornady/Black Hills/GA Arms/boutique:  Irrelevant in this period of high demand.

But Tula/Wolf/*Bear will have x39 shipments coming into port from factories that run 7.62x39 as primary production, and .223 as secondary.  They will stop .223 production to pump out x39.

Prvi/GGG/S&B/Fiocchi can choose to either dilute the .223/9mm presence and weaken profitability, or aim for the next niche and monopolize it during this peak in demand.  That would be .30 caliber rifle and .40/.45 handgun.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 12:05:14 PM »
As a friend of mine keeps saying- once the wives see the credit card balances and reality sets in, there will be a lot of stuff coming onto the secondary markets and prices will start coming down.

I'm predicting about the end of June- people will have their tax refunds spent by then.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 05:08:55 PM »
Due to inventory taxes

Say what?

As a friend of mine keeps saying- once the wives see the credit card balances and reality sets in, there will be a lot of stuff coming onto the secondary markets and prices will start coming down.

I don't know. I don't see to many people selling off the things they got. Especially if they start taking a loss on price.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 05:39:08 PM »

I'm predicting about the end of June- people will have their tax refunds spent by then.

I don't see a sell off, but when someone just threw a $3500 AR on the credit card I don't see the little woman approving any more gun stuff for a while!
I predict many of those who are caught up right now will be out of the gun market for a while on new purchases.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 05:52:23 PM »
I don't see a sell off, but when someone just threw a $3500 AR on the credit card I don't see the little woman approving any more gun stuff for a while!
I predict many of those who are caught up right now will be out of the gun market for a while on new purchases.
True, but a lot of them were first-time or rare buyers anyway.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 08:10:48 PM »
This afternoon my LGS had a case of some off brand .223 FMJ ($14.95 a box of 20) and 3 100rd boxes of American Eagle .223 ($69.95).
I didn't buy any.

He also had 2 M4 style ARs on the rack A CMMG and a Bushmaster, $1899.
I didn't buy any.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 09:21:33 PM »
I predict that revolvers will get more popular.....esp. with the lack of autoloader ammo....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 11:26:11 AM »
I predict that ammo will be in short supply until more becomes available.

(oddly enough, the store I went to in Billings last week had more 9mm than anything else  ;/ )
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Lee

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 11:51:37 AM »

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 12:23:32 PM »
I predict that revolvers will get more popular.....esp. with the lack of autoloader ammo....

I set aside the 9mm I know I'm going to need for classes and matches for the next 4 months, and that left me with a little less than a case of 9mm FMJ. So I don't deplete that 9mm too far, my range trips are including more revolver shooting.  

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 01:20:01 PM »
It won't end until the threat of gun/ammo bans are gone.  Once there is a final vote on the various federal level proposals then the panic buying will ease off.  There still may be localized panics depending on each state and the local laws (like Illinois), but it will die down, once everyone thinks they have "enough".

Just reading through other threads and other fora, most people don't believe they have "enough" at the moment and are looking to either buy more when it becomes available or start reloading.  So I predict a continued run on both factory ammo and supplies for at least another 9 months.

If I was going to start a business, it would be ammo manufacturing.  I don't see it ever getting back to "normal" again and here's why.

1.  The surplus from the end of the cold war is gone.  The salad days of the mid '90's when the former Warsaw Pact opened their warehouses and started shipping everything they could turn into hard currency is done.  That cupboard is bare, and won't happen again in our lifetime.
2.  Same with US/NATO/South Africa, etc.  It was called "Surplus" for a reason.  There is no "Surplus" of anything anymore.  (ammo, guns,or mags).
3.  Ammo manufacturers  don't seem to be adding capacity.  The war in Iraq is over, Afghanistan will be winding down, the military os getting smaller and raw materials (lead and brass) are getting more expensive (transport costs seem to be the driver.)  State Taxes and labor costs are what drove Olin (Winchester Ammunition) from East Alton, IL to Oxford, MS. Gov. Quinn and Mayor Emanuel should be thrilled.
4. I only see the need for ammo increasing.  With that many more firearms sold,  they'll get used.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 03:13:53 PM »
most people don't believe they have "enough" at the moment

Especially if "enough" has to last the rest of your life  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2022, 05:11:19 PM »
Forgot about this thread. How did we do?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2022, 07:12:10 PM »
There are still ol' boys who show up when Wally World opens, and they'll buy up the .22LR stuff...
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2022, 09:56:19 PM »
The last 6 months, the ammo shelves at Academy Sports have been full.  Early on it was mostly just the few major calibers.  Diversity has been getting better. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2022, 10:06:20 PM »
This thread is from 2013.  :lol:

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2022, 11:11:30 PM »
This thread is from 2013.  :lol:

Yes, it is. I wonder who dredged it up ...  >:D
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2022, 11:19:36 PM »
Yes, it is. I wonder who dredged it up ...  >:D

I think he likes to read his own text (similar to, they like to hear themselves speak)
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2022, 11:51:15 PM »
I think he likes to read his own text (similar to, they like to hear themselves speak)

Well, not in this case.  ;)  I really have no idea how well our predictions from 2013 worked out, and I was hoping someone else has a better memory of pre-Covid pricing & availability.