Author Topic: MN House jumps on the ban wagon  (Read 21110 times)

Regolith

• friend
Re: MN House jumps on the ban wagon
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 02:07:02 AM »
Note: The official rally for Friday the 8th is cancelled. Some people are still planning on showing up but the main event is cancelled.

How come?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, 03:26:25 AM »
The radio station (or whomever was running it) didn't manage it well, and MN GOCRA had three days of hearings tue-thu so they weren't really able to put on a worth while show with lots of speakers and appearances by legislators and the like. It is also pretty redundant with the huge turnout for the hearings. Three days certainly got our point across.

I won't be going as I would have to get up in under four hours to really make it there on time.

I hope the media doesn't pick up on the event unless the turnout is huge.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, 05:01:49 PM »
Thanks, Dustin. All very interesting.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2013, 05:32:49 PM »
So, bets on if they pass the crap anyway?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2013, 11:41:57 PM »
Things are looking pretty good for us. The seven round mag bans are dead, the body armor bill is dead. Not sure about the rest, but I doubt they have the votes or the will to fight to push anything else through.

For what little it is worth we seriously embarrassed them in the hearings. Many bill sponsors didn't even bother to show up or stay after their side spoke.

MN GOCRA spokesperson Rob Doar is concerned about the omnibus gun control bill and what could possibly be added to it.

On another note: Many of the 200 kids that were bused in for a half hour of the debate on a bill that both sides agreed on had "no guns" signs. They were seriously being exploited.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:52:36 AM by DustinD »
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 01:18:16 AM »
Senate hearings Thursday and Friday.

www.gocra-mn.org/news and https://www.facebook.com/gocra

It looks like we defeated the body armor, magazine, and "assault weapon" bills, but the mandatory registration bill is up for debate in the Senate on Thursday Feb 21st (today) at noon.

Also up for debate:

SF 69 (Ingebrigtsen) / HF 178 (Cornish) Retired police, with current training, do not need a permit to carry.     Thursday, noon.

HF 285 (Lesch) / SF 235 (Latz) Fifth degree assault and domestic assault provisions added to crime of violence, ban on felon in possession of ammunition, aiding and abetting.  -  BAD , but possible fixable      Thursday, noon.

HF 240 – (Schoen) / SF 557 (Cohen) “Prove you’re sane”            Friday, noon.

Thursday, February 21  6 p.m.
Public testimony on SF 235, 503, 69, 458, 557, 520, 400, 413 and 568

Friday, February 22    Noon
SF 503, 557, 520, 400, 413, 568

You can read complete bill summaries at the GOCRA web site: http://www.gocra.org/news/reference/2013-firearms-bills/

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 10:44:17 AM »
http://www.senate.mn/media/flashvideo.php there se likely other sites too.

So begins another epic commentary post. There should be video of the hearing somewhere.

We have about twenty people in line right now 9:44.

10:10 media showed up. Kare 11.
10:20 Eyewitness 5 is here.
10:30 interviewing people.
10:50 anti gun side showed up.

12:10 I am seated, 2nd row, gray three button shirt.

20 mins each side, strict. Plus 10 mins public comment.

The anti side had seats reserved which is against the policy written on the senate website. There is about twenty of them, and a few hundred of us. We had to be in line almost three hours early to get seats.

The mental health people also were given 10 minutes. I liked what they had to say.

Senate Bill 69 was withdrawn for now. It won't be heard today.

12:35 anti gun side is up. Talking about legislative power to enact "reasonable" gun regs per Heller decision.
"Need to stop the flow of blood."

1:00 pro gun PhD const scholar is speaking.

Each side now has 30 mins because bill 69 was withdrawn.

1:05 domestic abuse bill author is speaking. Wants to stop juveniles from carrying guns.

1:18 pro gun side is up. Olson is going first. Says they worked out a deal with the sponsor, and have no objections to the bill at this time.

1:21 bill 235 is layed over.

1:22 senator champion is up for bill 458.

1:34 Dennis from a police group is up. Referring to mental health issues. Gunshow loop hole is huge %40 of sales.

Brooklyn PD Mark Sargent does background checks. Talks of suicides with guns.

1:42 Mayor of Minneapolis is speaking. Referring to private sales and a few incidents.

Rogers police officer speaking of crazy people and suicides.

Each side now has an additional five minutes.

1:56 The guy who's father died in a shooting is speaking.

2:03 35 mins for the pro gun side. The NRA guy is up. Says a past eating disorder could prevent people from owning guns. Same for PTSD. NRA guy says 91% oppose background checks. He has poll data. Cutting anti gun arguments to shreds. Went after %40 private sale, and NICs effectiveness. NRA guy seriously kicked ass.

2:14 crucible arms guy is up. Going after the %40 lie. He is a ffl, talking about nics now.

2:20 DNR instructor guy is up, said he can't loan guns anymore if this passes.

2:24 ptsd guy is up. Says the law would force him to surrender his firearms.

2:29 prof Olson is back. Says MN gocra can't afford to fly in victims who are pro gun.

2:34 Andrew Rothman is up. Is seriously going after Minneapolis for its crime rate, calling out the legislature on the last several decades.

2:37 someone else is up. Only two mins left. Talking about NICs at gunshow. NRA stats, Obama quote, against background checks.

Our side did very well, but we were pressed for time.

2:39 10 mins public comments. Pro gun guy is up.

2:42 anti gun lady is up her daughter was raped and murdered. If it prevents only one death...
Colmen had an outburst regarding some talking during the last lady.

2:46 anti gun guy is up. Son murdered. Talking about Minneapolis crime and the quality of people here. He thinks most in Minneapolis are good people.

2:49 anti gun guy is up. Talking about Sandy Hook. Wants something done.

2:50 pro gun guy talking about the previous lady's daughter. Says men not guns did it.

2:52 Question section.

Colm doesn't understand fear of registration. Talking about inconvenience vs lives.

The chairman asked the progun prof if he thought it was a good idea to require ccw permits to buy guns. The progun prof thought that was an interesting idea.

The anti gun Prof didn't know the gun show loop hole is a myth a police officer is explaining it to him.

I lost my connection in there. We are recessed until 6:00 pm. Our side definitely won.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:03:11 PM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 01:47:17 PM »

The anti side had seats reserved which is against the policy written on the senate website. There is about twenty of them, and a few hundred of us. We had to be in line almost three hours early to get seats.

Ya know...  I would be making some serious stink about this...  "Favoritism," "discrimination," and "bias" are all words that I would be using...  :)  Find out if there is a formal complaint process and who to complain to/about...  But then again, I'm evil that way...  >:D
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 05:45:43 PM »
Our side definitely won.

What I worry about, here and everywhere, is that they'll just up and do what they want anyway.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 06:37:47 PM »
What I worry about, here and everywhere, is that they'll just up and do what they want anyway.

Like ignore a Federal court?

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/02/20/court-fight-could-hold-up-concealed-carry-in-illinois/
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 07:03:38 PM »
6:00  We are now seated for the public commentary phase. This is scheduled to last until 9:00. I was second in line to get in.

6:12  We are starting.

6:18. First anti gun person is going. Doesn't like the new NRA. Post 77 revolt. Owns six guns the inherited.

We will have groups of three from each side go then switch.

6:23. Lady said there is a gun show loophole. And that people can buy guns there after stating they can't passa background check.

6:26 progun lady told a story of some one, two time convicted sex offender that tried to abduct her daughter. He didn't stop until she pulled her gun. Then told a story a patient of hers told her of her husband being killed in Nazi Germany after giving up their guns.

Someone said "amen" during her testimony and was removed. This guy had previously embarrassed himself on Thursday's house hearing.

The Oakdale gun club's lobbyist gave his time to the previous lady.

6:36. Antis up again, lady who's daughter that was kidnapped and raped was up. Another think of the children anti was up. Heather Martin is up talking about Nazi germanies gun laws.

7:01. Things are going well, well experienced people are making good arguments.

7:20 lady senator compares fishing licenses to gun transfer fees. Says fishing polls are safer. Her stupidity was legendary.

7:24. Guy says society is more violent and crime is up. Others on their side have said the same thing.

7:30. The last anti gun person spoke. She didn't like how many guns were sold privately on arms list.

7:51. We are doing very well, only a few mediocre or bad speeches with several good ones.

8:00. All of the presigned up people have spoken. This will likely be over soon.

8:11. Some one is dragging liberals and religion into this, not a good way to end things.

8:19. Several good speakers have gone.

8:29. We are done for tonight.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 09:29:30 PM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 08:58:24 PM »
Like ignore a Federal court?

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/02/20/court-fight-could-hold-up-concealed-carry-in-illinois/

I watched that hearing on and off.  Todd, Valinda and Rep. Phelps did good.  (NRA Lobbyist, Illinoiscarry spokesperson, guy who introduced the good carry bill).

http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=5957
Illinois House Democrats have a come to Jesus moment on guns yesterday

Gun control supporters in the Illinois Democratic party talked a pretty good game for the most part at the Illinois House Judiciary hearing earlier this week on guns, but in a closed door meeting yesterday, they were set straight as to the reality of things.

Here’s what was said publicly Tuesday, as reported by Rich Miller’s Capitol Fax:

Prosecutors in Chicago are telling state lawmakers they can essentially ignore a federal court ruling and not legalize concealed carry in Illinois.

The Illinois House on Tuesday held the first of two statewide hearings on how to legally allow people to carry a gun in the state. Illinois is the only state in the nation that bars anyone from carrying a pistol outside their home. In December, the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals said Illinois must change that.

But Paul Castiglione, policy director for the Cook County State’s Attorney’s office, told lawmakers there is no need for a new law.

“Only the Illinois Supreme Court can declare a statue from (the legislature) unconstitutional,” Castiglione told lawmakers Tuesday. “I heard (someone) say that after 180 days our UUW (unlawful use of weapon) statute is unconstitutional. Not so.”

Illinois Issues Blog went on to report Alvarez’s office vowing to ignore the Federal Appellate Court order:

“After 180 days, anyone who decided, for example, to walk down Michigan Avenue in Chicago carrying an AK-15 would be subject to arrest and prosecution for violating the [Unlawful Use of Weapons Act,]” said Cook County Assistant State’s Attorney Paul Castiglione. He said the Cook County state’s attorney’s office intends to enforce the Illinois Unlawful Use of Weapons statute, which outlaws carrying guns in public, after the deadline, unless lawmakers change it or the Illinois Supreme Court finds it unconstitutional. “The lower federal courts, either the district courts or the courts of appeal, cannot tell the Illinois Supreme court how to rule or whether or not that law is constitutional. The only court that can resolve that split is the U.S. Supreme Court.”

Of course, Chicago is a place for unicorns, mermaids and make-believe.

House Democrats were given a lesson in the real-world consequences of ignoring the Seventh Circuit ruling when the 180-day stay expires on June 8th.

The technical review staff (legal beagles) told the Democrats that Alvarez was all wet in her office’s pronouncement and that inaction on passing a carry bill would have dire consequences for gun control in Illinois.

Specifically, House Democrats were told that Illinois would effectively have “Constitutional Carry” where anyone who was eligible to own guns could carry them freely in public without training, licensing, qualification and precious little in the way of restriction.

After a lot of back and forth, one Chicago Representative asked if someone could carry a loaded rifle into the Statehouse. He was told “Yes”.

It was reported that you could hear a pin drop for an uncomfortably long time after that as a stunned silence came over the room.

The bottom line is that non-ideologues on the gun issue have seen the wisdom of voting for a carry bill that affords the state at least some control in the time, place and manner in which Illinois residents, and indeed non-residents, can carry firearms in Illinois.

Of course, there are a handful of die-hards who will never vote for a bill that would allow Illinoisans any firearm rights.  But then again, there were no shortage of politicians who opposed Civil Rights legislation of fifty years ago to their dying day.  And there were no shortage of politicians who opposed women’s suffrage, either.

Today, we recognize how foolish and bigoted those politicians were in opposing these basic civil rights.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2013, 11:12:55 AM »
http://www.senate.mn/media/flashvideo.php     live video feed.

http://www.senate.leg.state.mn.us/media/index.php?ls=&sid=746   Video of the various senate hearings.

10:06  I am back at it again.

I was shown on Kare 11 this morning. I promise not to forget all you little people now that I am famous :)

12:33. Finally seated over a half hour late. There were serious shenanigans with regards to how many seats the other side received without them having to wait in line.

12:37 session is in order. 37 minutes late.

12:45.  Anti gun ATF agent, also swat, did something in the ATF that targeted 15 key states for gun enforcement and other things. He wants background checks. "private sale loophole for handguns" also gunshow loophole mentioned. He is from out of state. Mayors against illegal guns paid him to be here.

12:56.  Q&A  with ATF guy. He is being called out on ATF not responding to various gun laws and NICS checks. He seems to be failing the Q&A.

1:01.  "Assault shotgun with 15 rounds" "I could have been given a hammer to do my job, but I was given a gun because it is the most lethal".

1:04 NRA guy is up. Ripping the last guys lies apart.

1:07 Prof Olson is up.  Really giving it to the ATF guy. This is worth watching the videos.

1:18  Q&A with the prof.

1:24  Moving on to bill 503 straw purchases, sponsored by the chair.

1:28  Funny exchange between chair and speaker who are related. Speaker is now talking about a shooting.

1:34  Another lady is up. Her son died in a shooting. She Works with victims and predators families. Says guns are extremely easy to get in north Minneapolis.

1:40  Another lady is up. Her son died. Says guns are very easy to get in her community. If she had a gun and another had one, she says some one may die.

1:43  Another lady is up, her sister died. Works with victims.

1:45  Prof Olson is up. Wants to support the bill, needs small changes.  The words "knowing or reason to believe" should just be "knowing" and the life time ban.

Public testimony:
1:53  Another lady up, came out of retirement to fight against gun violence.

1:56.  A guy is up talking about murder stats. He is pro gun.

2:00  anti gun guy, his father had a negligent discharge. No one hurt.

2:03  Pro gun guy, notes that gun owners are more law abiding than police. Slipped fast and furious into the talk. Auto correct tried to say "Puerto fun guy"

2:06  Q&A no questions.

2:07  SF520. Voluntary registry of ineligible gun owners.

2:13 NAMI is up, they offer pill lockboxes, and gun locks. They claim it helps prevent suicide.

2:18  Q&A humidity in storage was brought up.

2:22  NRA is up. Wants a way for people to opt out at a later date. Concerned about mission creep.

2:24  Olson is up talking about retention schedule.

2:27  Q&A.   Mentioned background checks. Doesn't sound voluntary any more. NRA guy is talking about NICS checks by sheriffs.

2:33  Public commentary.

2:52  Gun owner protection bill not taken up as the senator was not present.

2:53  Bill concerning getting guns back after having served time for a felony. They are trying to make that harder. Lady mentioned judge shopping.

2:59  a motion passed.

3:00  Someone testifying wants good cause standard clarified.
3:02  wants jurisdiction clarified.

3:04  Q&A

3:07  Public commentary, prof Olson is up. He is giving the history of these laws in Minnesota. Olson is against the bill.

3:15  The lady who supports the bill is accusing us of wanting bad guys to have guns.

3:17  public commentary.

3:28  Bill was laid over for possible inclusion.

SB568. Cohen is presenting his bill. Restoration of rights.

3:35  Heather Martin is testifying says deaths are down because of better trauma care. She said Minnesota supports stronger gun laws.

3:44  Andrew Rothman is testifying. Says bill would take away rights by preponderance of evidence. Andrew made a comment to the chairman. Chairman said one more comment like that and it would conclude his testimony.

3:49  Chair asked Andrew a question about legal case law and if carrying is a recognised civil right. Andrew said it was and cited a court case.

3:51  Olson is up. He did well.
Andrew went next.
4:00  Another person went pointed out that Martin Luther King was denied a permit. Said this bill would allow the same discretion.

4:03  Public commentary. A person did very well.

4:08  Heather Martin still didn't know which bill was under discussion.

4:11  Former police officer had a permit under all three systems. From the 70's onward. Didn't like the arbitrariness of the old system.

4:12  lady doesn't like guns, mentions Sandy Hook. Gun show loophole...

4:20  lady senator is saying gov doesn't have the right to decide who had rights without full due process.

4:22  Chairman asked how permits are different for guns vs anything else. A good discussion followed.

4:27  SB557 is up.

Cohen discussed his bill
Heather Martin spoke.
4:36  anti gun prof is up.

4:47 Olson is up.

5:07 end of SB557.  We are adjourned for today.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 08:26:25 PM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2013, 02:26:48 AM »
http://www.gocra-mn.org/news/category/news

or

https://www.facebook.com/notes/minnesota-gun-owners-civil-rights-alliance/come-to-the-senate-hearing-tonight-good-bill-bad-bill/10151786214737542

Another Senate hearing scheduled for Thursday at 6:00PM, room 15, first floor of the capitol. I hope to be there around 4:00PM to get a good seat.

We have two bills, one that goes after the law abiding, and one that does not. The good bill has 78 co-sponsors in the house, or 58.2% of the votes automatically.

I think we will win this in the end, but I am not sure how the Senate will eventually vote.

Update: I won't be able to make this hearing, but there should be another on Tuesday for some House bills.

--- From Minnesota Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance ---

Senator Latz's Gun Owners Punishment Bill, SF458, passes with a party-line vote of 5-3.

Attorney, civil rights absolutist and GOCRA board member David Gross just TORE APART the unconstitutional infringements in Senator Latz's SF458.

Senator Julianne Ortman is scolding Senator Latz for the "hostile takeover" of her bill, and for refusing to allow a vote on her wildly popular SF1359.

Go, Julianne, go!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:32:50 PM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2013, 08:25:37 PM »
Tomorrow is an important day. We may win this whole gun control thing in this committee vote. I think the pro gun committee members outnumber the antis 2-1.

From MNGOCRA: 
Tomorrow (Tuesday, March 19) at 10 a.m., the House Public Safety Committee will hear and vote of HF237, Rep, Paymar's Punish Gun Owners Act.

I hope to be there.

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2013, 09:53:33 AM »
8:46.  I'm here. The antis actually showed up on time. They have us outnumbered at the moment.

This is the first time thhasey showed up to wait in line. I am guessing because there won't be public testimony they won't get any free tickets.

9:18.  The lines are about equal length.

9:20.  A debate has broken out between the two lines. This will be fun. One gut on the other side was singing out the word "paranoia". Another lady said we were just helping criminals.

9:25. Debate ended, didn't go too well. Or side did a little better and was a bit nicer.

9:36. Our line is longer, but this is their best turnout ever. Double the previous hearings. Our turnout is the worst it has ever been.

9:57.  We are seating.  I am in the second row.  Three spots from the isle on the right side of the room. Surrounded by antis.

10:03.  Hearing started.  Every committee member seems to be here.

10:05.  Looks like this may be a two parter. We may have a recess until 7:00 pm.

10:13.  237  bad bill is up.  This will go until 11:30. And be recessed until 7:00pm. The bill may also be amended.  It should be voted on at 7:00. There may be some public testimony.

The media was here but left.

10:17.  Paymer is talking about his bill.

10:20. Not bad so far. He says his bill is only one part of the solution. Mentioned many relevant issues.

10:21. Starting with the be. Anti gun lady to my right isn't happy with the lack of bans. He is talking about background checks. Plenty of lies and bs.

10:23 says everyone supports his bill. Obvious lie considering the huge number of sponsors for the rival bill and the few for his.

10:30.  Rep Cornish is up. Doubts it will make it out of committee. 3% of guns for crimes comes from gun shows. Says polls can say anything.

10:34. "Heaven help the man who tries to take my gun."

A few more strong statements against this bill. Acousing paymer of strong arming his side. Hopes there won't be any shenanigans.

10:37.  Paymer is taking about gun show loophole loophole. Says he would never lie. Said he went to a gun show. Said he tried to buy without a permit to purchase at a gun show. Licensed dealers required it, private parties did not. He thinks that is a loophole.

10:53.  Police Chief association guy is up. Wants background checks. Straw purchases.

11:01.  Rep Cornish said Sheriff's association and a few other police groups are not here.

11:02.  15 mins for each side to speak.

11:07 anti gun side is up. Many church groups are speaking. Also two mothers.

11:09. More anti gun inner city church groups.

11:10 Rep Cornish is up "Sell your cloak and buy a sword".  Lots of talking and noise from the anti gun side. One lady said Cornish was certifiable.

11:13. Move on.org is up. 2700 background checks. Reading from petition comments.

Each side gained five minutes.

11:16.  Leage of women voters is up.

11:18.  Firearm instructor is up. Hunted since 1971.

23 mins for the pro gun side.

11:19. NRA guy is up.  Says there is bullying and an attempt to water down the bill to keep it going. Says the recess until 7:00pm is for bullying.

DFL guy is asking NRA guy who is bullying who. NRA guy said he wasn't at liberty to disclose it.

11:22. Mngocra guy is up. Said many do not live close to a ffl

11:24 yielded remaining time to the public. An angry lady said they were violating their oath of office. Mentioned abortion killing more than guns.

11:27.  Someone is talking about mental health and what this bill requires. He had PTSD voluntary treatment and isn't sure if he would have to surrender his guns if this passes.

11:30   Recessed until 7:00pm

A theory is that this is so a pro gun rep will be forced to deal with another issue at 7:00 and break the tie.(update: that didn't happen) I am surprised so many want this to leave committee. I am looking forward to see what edits are done to it.

3:30   Back in line. I am the first. I was hanging out in the DOT cafeteria for a while.

4:50.   Five of us are in line, all pro gun.

5:10.   Twenty of us are here, all pro gun.

5:45.   Over fifty of us here. There might be three anti gun persons.

Note: We later filled the room with about 125 people.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:58:50 AM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2013, 07:40:35 PM »
Committee will vote on omnibus anti gun HF237 at 7:00pm.

6:30    We are seated. I am in the second row, right side, second from the center.

We may win the whole game with this vote. I am guessing a watered down bill will pass.

6:45.   There are about five antis to a whole room of pro gun people.

7:04.   Less than half the reps are present. There are less than ten antis.

7:45.   The antis are MIA. We are talking about sending out search parties. If this doesn't pass by Friday we win. There is some serious behind the scenes arm twisting going on.

8:00pm     8:15 will be the start time. My prediction: The bill gets watered down and moves out of committee. They won't vote unless they know they can win.

8:14.   Starting, Paymar apologised for the delay, laid the bill over, meeting adjourned.

Statements from our side said this bill is dead. (update, confirmed by a few reps) They will bring a prosecutor's bill forward which is smaller and doesn't contain anything that this one doesn't.

That bill must go forward before Friday because it is a policy bill. Friday is the deadline, anything that doesn't make it out is dead.

Update from 12:14am after I got home. The bill that will likely move out of committee will require background checks for private sales at gun shows and be a very watered down version of HF237. It will likely be voted on a Thursday, Friday is the deadline for any bill to leave this committee.

Debra Hilstrom  rep.debra.hilstrom@house.mn  was the swing voter that caused HF237 to die in committee, and she will determine tomorrow what exactly will be in the new bill when she compromises with Chairman Paymar. On one hand I want as pro freedom of an anti gun bill as we can get, on the other hand the better the bill is the harder it will be to stop. The ideal anti gun bill would confiscate every firearm including the most PC single shot .410 ever made.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 03:16:48 AM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2013, 11:55:20 PM »
Just so you know, we're reading these by-the-minute updates and appreciate them.

After NY, and CO, we need a "win" on the state level.
I promise not to duck.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2013, 02:04:14 AM »
Thank you, I am glad people are reading it.

Last Thursday's hearing was a real doozy. Senate Chair Latz told people they were not allowed to nod or shake their heads while listening to others speak. He threatened to remove people from the room after a single warning. A few Senators called him on that bit of unprecedented asshatery.

He put the anti gun bill SF458 that he wrote up for a vote and it passed with a 5-3 party line vote. Then he refused to allow the committee to vote on the significantly more popular pro gun bill SF1359. 4 vs 22 co-authors out of 67 senators total.

In the house we are at 78 vs 8 co-authors out of 134 total. Not bad having 58% of the reps strongly supporting the pro gun bill. www.gocra-mn.org/news for more information.

Sen. Ron Latz's companion to the Paymar bill, SF458, faces an uncertain future in the Senate Rules Committee, which is not stacked with gun controllers like Sen. Latz's Judiciary Committee.

I started off worried about "assault weapon" bans, immediate magazine confiscation with 7 round limits there after, body armor* needing carry permits to buy, full gun registration, moving us to a worse may issue bill than we had before the 2003 shall issue bill passed. Now they are trying for just gun show background checks, and some misc stupid stuff. They likely won't even get that.

*By "body armor" it meant things that could protect any part of your body such as heavy leather welding gear, ren-fair stuff, motorcycle and off road gear, anything that contains kevlar or similar, basically any safety gear at all, and any historical items that could possibly slow down a bullet. I knew that it would need some amendments if it was to pass, but it went down in a slightly entertaining conversation in  its hearing were a rep felt the need to point out to the audience that the bills sponsor was new this year and this was his first bill.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 06:21:09 PM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2013, 09:25:36 AM »
Just so you know, we're reading these by-the-minute updates and appreciate them.

After NY, and CO, we need a "win" on the state level.

This.  And keep up the good fight.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2013, 06:28:47 PM »
5:22pm   The Senate omnibus anti-gun bill might die at 6:00PM central time today, 38 minutes from now. I think it will be heard in a committee meeting.
5:33pm update:  SF458 Removed from agenda. It has to get out of committee by Friday or we win. Word has it that we won. I am looking for more info.
6:15pm   SF458 dead, its house companion is dead too.

HF285 Will be heard Thursday evening in the Public Safety Committee. This will likely be amended to include some level of background checks. There is a chance that it will only require private sellers at gun shows to check to make sure the receiver has a (free from the police) permit to purchase or a carry permit. MN currently requires the free permit to buy pistols or "assault weapons." It is valid for a year, and takes a maximum of five days to be issued. This doesn't involve any form of registration. I believe you only currently need it for buying from FFLs, but I am not sure.

I will also be handing out free maroon MNGOCRA t-shirts, suggested donation $10 payable at the website, and $1 buttons. Their facebook page has pictures of what the buttons and shirts look like.

I will let you guys know when I get confirmation of the hearings and fates of the bills.

5:36pm  Looks like we beat the senate omnibus anti-gun bill. It was more of a threat than the house companion bill because of the pro/anti gun make-up of the senate. They may push forward with a watered down bill by means of modifying a bill concerning prosecuting criminals (I think felon in possession) for possessing ammo, or some similar bill.
6:15pm  SF235/HF285 are the remaining two bills. Both will likely make it to the floor for a vote, and have some level of BCs added.
update: SF235 made it to the floor last Thursday. So it just needs its amendments and a vote. It and the house bill each have 3 sponsors.

---  Thursday  ---

9:50am   House chair Paymar still hasn't announced the time for the likely 6 or 7 pm hearing. Both he and his Senate counterpart Latz have shown some serious character and integrity issues after getting their bills moving became a little difficult. We expect minor shenanigans for today's hearing. They really love screwing with schedules, seating, withholding information, or withholding it from the public and the pro-gun GOCRA, but telling the anti gun side (Protect Minnesota). I seriously better not find out the hearing schedule from Protect Minnesota again.

11:45am  Rep Cornish, Republican committee minority lead and the most pro gun house rep we have said it will be at 5:30PM, and that Paymar (anti-gun Chairman) will not allow public testimony, this is likely against the rules.

Note to MN GOCRA members: If you sign up to their email feed which gives you information depending on what district you live in, you will be entered into a drawing for a Remington 1911.

2:45pm.  I am the first one here.

3:45.  Four of us so far. No antis yet.

4:10pm.   Confirmed 5:30 start time.

4:40.   20 pro gun to 6 anti gun. The amendments to the bill have been posted. The chairman intentionally withheld the amendments to the last minute.

4:47.   Roughly 30 to 10

5:05.   About 50 to 12

5:30 75 to 20 pro / anti

5:34.  Hearing starting, time for a new post.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 06:35:34 PM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2013, 06:38:19 PM »
Thursday evening hearing. There are a few sources for feeds, same as previous hearings.

5:35   Anti fun (not going to fix that auto correct) Rep John Lesch reading amendment to 285.

5:39   Gun show private sellers must see buyer's permit to purchase or carry for gun sales. Really not a bad change.

5:41   Felons that can't own guns in possession of ammo will be a crime.

5:46   Cornish Republican lead promised a lengthy debate on the bill when it gets to the floor.

5:47   The amendment passed 10-8.

5:49   Roll call on bill 285.

5:51   Passed to the floor 10-8.  We are adjourned.

The NRA rep says that either this bull (there goes auto correct again) will be amended to be a copy of the pro gun bill, or it won't pass, either way we win.

We are up to 80 sponsors of the pro gun bill in the house, 60% of the reps.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 01:56:10 AM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2013, 04:56:25 AM »
I don't have much to report, but it has been over a month.

Anti gun Senator and bill author Latz says he will push for a vote on his anti gun bill. The bill basically does nothing except require sellers to check a buyer's permit to purchase or permit to carry if they sell a pistol or "assault weapon" at a gun show.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2013/04/19/politics/minnesota-gun-control-legislation doesn't really add anything to what I am telling you, usual fluff.

"I don't think there's a snowball's chance in Hades that anything in background checks or anything else is going to pass in the Senate or the House," Cornish said. He is the lead pro gun Rep.

Per the linked article "The House and Senate gun bills are expected to start moving again in a few weeks after legislators vote on the budget." I expect us to win by a large margin, they won't even get the gun show checks. My how they have fallen, given that they wanted us to turn in any 8 round mags or sell them, among many other things like body armor and AW bans. It looks like they want to restrict gun powder sales and the like. They will likely try, and fail, for that amendment.

Also, not sure how many will be going, but to pass this along, from TCGunsAndCarryForum's Facebook page
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:16:09 AM by DustinD »

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2013, 04:15:58 PM »
We Won!
Gun control dead for the year!

www.mnccrn.org/news

- Lon Horiuchi

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2013, 06:44:15 PM »
Awesome.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife