Author Topic: MN House jumps on the ban wagon  (Read 21112 times)

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
Re: MN House jumps on the ban wagon
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2013, 12:03:17 PM »
The "ban" wagon is rolling again. There is a policy discussion currently in progress regarding the ability to carry weapons into the state Capitol complex. Sorry that I forgot to post this when I heard about it on Monday.

The room has maybe forty pro gun rights supporters, and no anti gun people that I can see. update, there were at least three anti gun persons, non of them wearing any anti gun clothing.

Two camera crews are present and were doing interviews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqRpb7bBi1w Video of the hearing.

This was all originally done on a smart phone, sorry for the poor quality of editing. Also note that I likely made a few minor mistakes in transcribing details.

11:03 meeting started.

11:30  Talking about gun stuff now. Defining and nitpicking terms and language.

11:50  A lot of boring talk about what other states do. Some want security at the door, others don't. Now we are onto the actual issue.

Not allowed to bring long guns into the capitol currently. Not sure if that is true, but that is what the committee members said.

11:55  Lady asking stupid questions, she isn't aware that permits require training in this state.

She thinks it's bad that people can carry guns in the audience during heated debates.  "They just might lose it".

11:58  Another lady disagrees with the first lady. I will look for the video when I get home. This debate is getting good.

12:00 State trooper said everyone he checked was compliant with the law.

12:02  Paymar (anti gun rep and committee chair) wants to know what his powers are, doesn't want to make any strong recommendations to the legislature. Seems to be acting less anti gun that a few months ago. Edit: he isn't the chair of this committee. He was chair of previous house committees.

12:05  Seems like our side is winning.

"That lady" is saying us pro gun people can send death threats. Other lady is rebutting her, says gun owners are the best behaved of any group that visits the capitol. Anti gun lady claims to have received death threats from gun owners. Other reps seem sceptical.

12:10   Debate over whether there will be public testimony. Paymar doesn't want public comment, the lady chair does. Paymar doesn't want guns in the capitol, says he can't find common ground with gun supporters.

12:17   Minnesotans want public open process. Paymar wants this gun issue handled quietly.

12:19  There will be a second meeting. Likely postponed past the 20th.

12:22  I may be a TV star. Back right corner by the door.

Public testimony soon.

12:23  Public testimony. Person mentioned gun free zones won't work without airport level security.

12:24  Lady said she was intimidated by gun owners and asked for more security at the winter meetings. This claim is absolute BS. Even by gun owners standards we were perfect in our behaviour.

12:27   Pro gun lady wants the ability to carry or a lot better security for normal people. She said only she was responsible for her security.

12:29   Pro gun person called the previous anti gun lady wrong brought up conversations with Sgt at Arms who said our side behaved overwhelmingly great. Sgt at arms agreed, they are present at the hearing to testify because they do a lot of the security work.

12:31  Anti gun guy who shouted down our side back in the previous hearings and kept making an ass out of himself said he was intimidated by us. He wasn't too intimidated back then to harass some people's kids.

12:33  Meeting adjourned.

I will keep you guys updated on the next hearing.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 Note that this may change before Tuesday gets here, to be pushed back to give a few people more time to prepare.

Meeting starts at 10:00 a.m.; please arrive by 9:00 for best seating!
Advisory Committee on Capitol Security
Room: 15 State Capitol
Chair: Lt. Governor Prettner Solon

Agenda:
1. Approval of August 14, 2013 Meeting Minutes, Acceptance of Agenda
2. Part 2 of 2: Firearms on the Capitol Complex, Discussion on Policy Direction, Draft Language
3. Public Comment
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 02:48:25 PM by DustinD »
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2013, 01:56:19 PM »
And post video if you can find it.

;)

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2013, 05:54:26 PM »
H.F. 240: Prove you're sane! The sheriff may require you to get a letter from a doctor or psychiatrist to get a carry or transferee purchase) permit

There's a Catch-22 for you.

No mental health professional who values his or her license would sign off on someone they haven't been seeing regularly enough to know whether or not the person doesn't constitute a risk. But ... if you're seeing a shrink regularly enough for them to be able to make that assessment, more than likely you AREN'T stable enough that you should be entrusted with guns. At least, not predictably enough that a mental health practitioner would feel comfortable signing off on it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Levant

• friend
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2013, 12:15:47 AM »
Wow.  I just read this thread beginning to end.  DustinD, you've done a fantastic job and all of us, not just those in Minnesota, are deeply in your debt.  I wish we had more like you.  You're doing things, not just going on the Internet and complaining.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2013, 02:49:32 PM »
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2013, 11:42:17 PM »
i forgot to post this here last night when I saw it.

More information at:  https://www.facebook.com/events/415770638525504/

As an update on the carry at the capitol issue: I wasn't able to make it the second day, but we won hands down. Even the anti gun state governor Dayton (D) has been on our side lately and sided with carry at the capitol.

Minnesota has formed several new pro gun groups, and even formed a new PAC.
www.mngopac.org
www.facebook.com/mngopac

In about four months the legislature will be back in session. I will start a new thread when we go on the offensive.

- Lon Horiuchi

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
Minnesota Gun Rights Seminar

Saturday, November 30
10 a.m. - 3 p.m.

$15 per attendee covers lunch and all materials

Join GOCRA for our first-ever gun rights activist training. We'll discuss our strategy for the next year, and you'll learn how to become a loud and clear voice for Second Amendment rights in Minnesota, whether dealing with politicians, the media, or your friends and neighbors. Come learn from our 25 years of experience, and help us shape the future for gun rights in Minnesota.

Workshops:
Learn how to influence decision-makers, the press and regular folks.

Get Involved
Find out how you can make a difference in your community and around the state

Planning Ahead
Collaborate on making the next year a victory for civil rights

After the seminar, please stay for our
GOCRA Member Meeting

Saturday, November 30
3 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Limited to GOCRA members only
Join us as we discuss the "state of the state" -- what happened last session, what's coming this session, and how you can help.

---

You have to subscribe to the GOCRA email newsletter to get an invite.

Also in my inbox is a warning that Bloomberg's MAIG is targeting Minnesota and four other states for universal background checks and registration. They said this year might be worse than last year, and they are not prone to exaggeration and hysterics like the NRA.

- Lon Horiuchi