Author Topic: Evidently DHS needs MRAPs  (Read 14817 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Evidently DHS needs MRAPs
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2013, 09:27:19 AM »
Tokugawa, those were the 22 each BATF OV-10 Broncos I posted about earlier in this thread.

They got them from the DoD, were busted, and subsequently gave them to the State Department, who still has them.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2013, 09:40:18 AM »
Several years ago, the BATF got their pee-pee smacked for assembling an air wing of 22 surplus USMC OV-10 Broncos.

The State Department owns them now, and they deploy out of Patrick AFB, spraying South American cocaine fields with Round Up.   

It's no wonder that the rest of the world loves us so much  :angel:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2013, 09:41:49 PM »
I wonder what restrictions there are on reselling the stuff once it's in their possession. If it was legal, an enterprising police department could basically become self-funding by reselling milsurp and any other "surplus" equipment they don't need anymore.

20 years ago, they picked up 10 M-16A1 rifles.  Within months, they legally sold these to a Class 3 dealer and bought 20 law enforcement only M4geries with the funds, and had money left.  They were 1970's manufacture, so the dealer gave them a pretty penny fr them, and sold them the LEO rifles at cost.

Couldn't do that these days with the guns, but other stuff, yes.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2013, 01:06:06 AM »

The MRAP is pretty good at defending folks from lightly armed, small ragtag groups of bad guys in an arid desert climate.

So, they're after my neighbors, eh?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2013, 11:38:46 AM »

I also don't even think this is a credible source. Again, i've heard NOTHING official about large MRAP purchases by DHS.

I agree, considering that gateway pundit is big on speculation and making stuff up, and short on facts.  Their cited source is modernsurvivalblog.  I don't know anything about them, but I am skeptical.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2013, 11:41:52 AM »
I agree, considering that gateway pundit is big on speculation and making stuff up, and short on facts.  Their cited source is modernsurvivalblog.  I don't know anything about them, but I am skeptical.

Again, i know we have them, but I have no credible info about numbers.

BTW, i asked the folks here what HSI was doing in CO. They said that there's a lot of smuggling/migrant traffic through there enroute to other places.

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2013, 03:45:20 PM »
Again, i know we have them, but I have no credible info about numbers.

BTW, i asked the folks here what HSI was doing in CO. They said that there's a lot of smuggling/migrant traffic through there enroute to other places.

Thanks for asking.

Also for the board's perusing...

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/page/294634_Factchecking-_Obama_DHS_Purcha

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2013, 10:18:59 AM »

Approximately 16 ish.

http://www.businessinsider.com/homeland-security-serving-warrants-mrap-2013-3

So, sorta true but very very exaggerated.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2013, 10:23:20 AM »
The MRAPs were transferred to DHS from the Department of Defense, free of charge. But despite recent reports, they have actually been in service since at least 2008.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/homeland-security-serving-warrants-mrap-2013-3#ixzz2MrsxejRK

This explains why they got em. No one is gonna turn down a free tactical vehicle

And this explains their utility:

On May 3, 2012, three ICE agents were shot and injured while serving "high-risk" warrants during an early morning sweep of San Francisco Bay area gang members, according to a report from Yahoo! News.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/homeland-security-serving-warrants-mrap-2013-3#ixzz2Mrt6yHxg
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2013, 01:12:42 PM »
Approximately 16 ish.

http://www.businessinsider.com/homeland-security-serving-warrants-mrap-2013-3

So, sorta true but very very exaggerated.

So - we've had a special militarized federal police for five years.

I feel so much better now.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2013, 02:13:01 PM »
So - we've had a special militarized federal police for five years.

I feel so much better now.

You've had it for a lot longer than 5 years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waco_siege
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2013, 02:32:50 PM »
You've had it for a lot longer than 5 years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waco_siege

My thought precisely.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2013, 02:48:38 PM »
I wonder what restrictions there are on reselling the stuff once it's in their possession. If it was legal, an enterprising police department could basically become self-funding by reselling milsurp and any other "surplus" equipment they don't need anymore.

A lot of the DRMO stuff they have to hold on to and inventory each year because it's a loan, not a gift.

A lot of departments screwed up and  have been cut off. Like selling the M-16s? It was legal as far as full auto rifles are concerned but the stickler is they sold .gov property when they weren't supposed too. If you were to do that nowadays, with say, shotguns or M-9s they'd get slapped pretty hard.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!