Author Topic: Tucson goes apey statist bananas  (Read 3160 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Tucson goes apey statist bananas
« on: March 05, 2013, 02:46:46 PM »
http://www.tucsonaz.gov/sirepub/cache/2/wezfxsa4yhavqai1a3apix55/506099903042013041039767.PDF

Tucson city council resolution 22006.

WTF?

It starts off as a feel-good piece of "attaboy" twaddle for the local AFB.

Then declares a state of emergency to exist for the feel good twaddle to go into effect?

Is there more in this than attaboy twaddle?

Infowars and other places are going bananas saying Tucson is under martial law now.  There's too much glad-handing language in this for me to buy that, but I don't understand the need to declare a frigging emergency to make it take effect now, rather than the statutory 90 days from now (State law pre-empts municipalities from passing immediate-affect ordnances without declaring an "emergency" to exist first).
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Tucson goes apey statist bananas
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 02:53:37 PM »
I don't get the emergency either.  However, in reading this I can't figure out where it does anything concerning (or actually anything at all)?  It just says the city trusts the AF to make good decisions in balancing their military needs with the needs of the community and directs city staff to assist in that balancing.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 02:55:57 PM »
Reading over that, all I can say is "Huh?".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 03:00:46 PM »
I would imagine that last highlighted piece is a boilerplate piece of text required to make that empty resolution legally binding the day of its passage.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 03:12:06 PM »
I would imagine that last highlighted piece is a boilerplate piece of text required to make that empty resolution legally binding the day of its passage.

That's what I got too. I don't really see the Air Force leading the occupation after martial law.  :laugh:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 03:12:58 PM »
That's what I got too. I don't really see the Air Force leading the occupation after martial law.  :laugh:

Not unless the martial law involved forcing folks to hang out at the O club or play golf.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 03:13:14 PM »

Bingo.  This sort of boilerplate is often used in legislation to get around any required waiting periods before a law is enacted or takes effect.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 04:20:35 PM »

That is what I take of it as well.  My small city passes stuff all the time and declares an emergency, nothing new.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 04:23:02 PM »
Strikes me a the city is saying "Yo, D-M AFB, you can pretty much do what you want, as we like the money you bring to us.  Airplane/Jet Noise?  We're good with it. Fire 'em all up at once.  Smell?  Pollution?  Who cares?!?!?  Just keep the money taps open and flowing.  Who luvs ya, baby!?!?!?"
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 05:23:06 PM »
Davis-Monthan.

Aka, The Boneyard.

Lotsa planes.

Only so many with running engines.   ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 06:33:23 PM »
This took me a minute to decode. I hate bureaucratese, the 18th and 19th centuries were nice, laws and such were written in intelligible English.

SECTION 1: We're going along with any military security vs. civilian community decisions made by the local Airforce base command because we think they make the right decisions regarding such.

SECTION 2: Anyone working for the city will comply with and if necessary carry out any actions necessitated by those decisions made by the Airforce base command.

SECTION 3: This starts immediately because of "emergency."

So I must ask, what the hell is this emergency?

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 07:14:39 PM »
Tyrannical power grabs are ALWAYS in response to emergencies... emergencies that never end.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 09:14:49 PM »
This took me a minute to decode. I hate bureaucratese, the 18th and 19th centuries were nice, laws and such were written in intelligible English.

http://occupiedtucsoncitizen.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/FEATURED_22006.jpg

SECTION 1: We're going along with any military security vs. civilian community decisions made by the local Airforce base command because we think they make the right decisions regarding such.

SECTION 2: Anyone working for the city will comply with and if necessary carry out any actions necessitated by those decisions made by the Airforce base command.

SECTION 3: This starts immediately because of "emergency."

So I must ask, what the hell is this emergency?

See MillCreek's response: http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=38569.msg780460#msg780460
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 09:32:05 PM »
Most municipalities and cities have requiremments that a proposed ordinance be read at several public mmeetings and open to a comment period before it can be adopted.  They also have provisions that, in an emergency,, these provisions can be waived and an immediate vote and enactment can take place.

If I was them, I wouldn't want this POS read and subject to public comment either...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 11:09:01 PM »
Tucson pretty much likes the USAF and will pretty much let them do what they want.....

....should make it pretty interesting when the flyboys go on leave this weekend.....hide your wimmins & liquor....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 09:25:56 AM »
why why this even written?  the air force is not governed by a city, and if martial law were declared by the us what the city thought would be irrelevant.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2