Author Topic: The lost fight for gun control  (Read 5578 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
The lost fight for gun control
« on: March 04, 2013, 09:49:52 AM »
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2013/03/03/Under-the-US-Supreme-Court-The-lost-fight-for-gun-control/UPI-36361362299400/

WASHINGTON, March 3 (UPI) -- As the images of 20 first-graders massacred in Connecticut, of the horrific attack on former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and others in Arizona, of the slaughter of movie-goers in Aurora, Colo., and of numerous other mass killings in the United States fade in the national memory, the fervor to restrict access to some types of weapons and magazines appears to be abating.

Ladies and gentlemen this is not the beginning of the end.

But this, in Churchill's words, is the end of the beginning.

If we can derail the effort towards universal background checks, we'll be golden.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Re: The lost fight for gun control
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 09:57:02 AM »
Merely the calm before the storm...we've seen this before, nationally and statewide. They slow down the push, we relax and breathe a bit, and they pull a middle of the night vote, stacked for their side. We have to remain vigilant until recess...
Hi.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 10:13:50 AM »
If the gop screws the pooch in thr midterm elections, there may be no limit to the crap storm that follows.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:27:58 AM »
We still have a few years left with an administration that is hostile to gun rights.  End of the beginning maybe, but still a ways to go.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 12:51:59 PM »
What Brimic and MechAg said. 100%
Hi.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 12:57:57 PM »
There will be more Sandy Hooks and Gabby Giffords and...  These are guaranteed by the state of the culture and the refusal to examine the causes behind that culture.  I'm not saying this ensures our defeat, but it certainly ensures an ongoing war for our civil liberties (and not just the 2A).  Tyranny never sleeps.  We should recognize that the liberties we believe in are an historical anomaly and require constant exertion.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 01:02:22 PM »
If the gop screws the pooch in thr midterm elections, there may be no limit to the crap storm that follows.

If the republicans fubar the gun fight I'll just be voting Libertarian for a few yrs, if they fubar the gun fight then they're useless.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

erictank

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 01:23:04 PM »

That's entirely in the hands of the Party Elite. If they actually put up and support people worth voting for, they probably (IMO) will have little to worry about and will maintain or increase their representation, maybe even in both houses. If instead they choose once again to pull the same crap they've been pulling the last couple of presidential-election cycles, they will indeed screw the pooch, and will deserve every single bit of blame for the storm that will follow. They need voters like me, and those closer to centrist than I am, to want to support them instead of going third-party - but if they put up yet another milquetoast establishment candidate (or rather, a slate of them, for congressional elections), there's not a chance in hell that they'll get us, and they won't DESERVE us.

Republicans, make sure your party muckety-mucks toe the line. Don't settle for "Well, he doesn't have a D after his name..." ever again. Hold the party to the platitudes they've been mouthing (and lying about supporting) for years now.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 02:42:17 PM »
Been awhile since I posted but this one struck something.

2 years ago the NRA and other sporting groups sent out flyers to my house supporting Harry Reid for reelection.  They said how he was good for gun rights.  As majority leader in the Senate he could table any gun legislation.  I doubt the NRA will get a very good return for their money.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 02:42:26 PM »
If it really reaches a lull I'm going bankrupt buying more stuff once it becomes available again. They will fight another day.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 02:59:07 PM »

2 years ago the NRA and other sporting groups sent out flyers to my house supporting Harry Reid for reelection.  They said how he was good for gun rights.  As majority leader in the Senate he could table any gun legislation.  I doubt the NRA will get a very good return for their money.
Well, he hasn't actually passed anything yet, has he? 

The NRA has to be careful not to take sides on parties.  I dislike the man, but the NRA needs to stay a one-issue group.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 05:23:02 PM »

Harry Reid has pretty much said that any Gun Control Legislation is DOA in the Senate.  He knows full good and well that the only reason he won his last election is because of the NRA's endorsement (Remember they are single issue.  Reid had always supported the 2A in the past).  If he allows Feinstein's on any other bill to come up for a vote, he knows the NRA will bury him in 2016. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 06:27:14 PM »
The game being played out is typical of any confrontation between Joe and Martha Sixpack and our Betters.  They resurrect magazine limitations and the assault weapons ban.  Minor discussion of a universal background check but the emphasis is on AWB II and magazine limitations.  Meanwhile democrats and spinelessrepublicans go into a bipartisan mode.  Spinelessrepublicans stand their ground on AWB II and magazine limitations but go squishy on universal background checks.  Then we see articles on how momentum for AWB II and magazine limitation slows.  Spinelessrepublicans, wanting to demonstrate how they've move toward the center, proudly announce to their supporters that they held fast on AWB II but decided to give away on universal background checks.  No problemo since they beat back a useless law which also just happened to have blatant confiscation provisions. 

The only problem with what spinelessrepublicans did or will do is AWB II and magazine limitation are a red herring.  The real goal was universal background checks.  Why the real goal?  Because confiscation cannot begin until our Betters know where the guns are located.  We've got a pretty well defined and equipped police state on our hands.  The only thing standing in the way is 200 + million firearms and a couple of hundred billion rounds of ammo.

Message to spinelessrepublicans "Ya give'em nuthin!"
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 09:21:10 PM »
I don't think there will ever be a time where if the barbarians are not at the gates of gun rights, they are withing sighting distance.
Look, tiny text!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 09:40:12 PM »
There will be more Sandy Hooks and Gabby Giffords and...  These are guaranteed by the state of the culture and the refusal to examine the causes behind that culture.  I'm not saying this ensures our defeat, but it certainly ensures an ongoing war for our civil liberties (and not just the 2A).  Tyranny never sleeps.  We should recognize that the liberties we believe in are an historical anomaly and require constant exertion.

Don't forget the part about the national media that makes multiple-murderers into infamous rock stars with at least a week of 24/7 news coverage.  Other crazies out there are watching; saying "hell yeah" and trying to figure out how to top it.
"It's good, though..."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 12:49:29 AM »
Harry Reid has pretty much said that any Gun Control Legislation is DOA in the Senate.  He knows full good and well that the only reason he won his last election is because of the NRA's endorsement (Remember they are single issue.  Reid had always supported the 2A in the past).  If he allows Feinstein's on any other bill to come up for a vote, he knows the NRA will bury him in 2016. 

This last election the NRA didn't support any candidate for his seat, the GOA supported Angle.
Angle was very popular up here in northern NV.

I can see why they have supported Reid in the past, but he did vote for both Obama's SCOTUS  picks...God help us if B.O gets to replace another
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 01:33:32 AM »
Mass-murders, spree shootings, and other tomfoolery like this have occured in America - and elsewhere - for over a century. It's not a culture issue. it's an issue of human nature. there is some percentage - some diminutive percentage of our society - that are either insane or evil, but either way they ignore the regular social norms - norms such as 'thou shalt not murder', and 'if you do need to do violence on someone, do it on the people who have wronged you and not random strangers'. These will never go away. The cultural problem - and this is something both liberals and conservatives suffer from - is the desire to react to each such event by claiming we need to Change Things, that our old culture and society has failed and we regular people are to blame.

Nonsense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04F4xlWSFh0

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 03:03:01 AM »
Funny how we're still talking Sandy Hook in the news, what, they got no time to talk about Dorner?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 04:51:08 AM »
If Dorner had been a white man it would still be the lead story.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 05:56:14 AM »
If Dorner had been a white man it would still be the lead story.

Also if his manifesto hasn't been pro-Obama.

How many progressive nutjobs falling off the hamster-wheel vs conservative fringe does this make so far?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 09:58:36 AM »

This.

We've got a pretty well defined and equipped police state on our hands.  The only thing standing in the way is 200 + million firearms and a couple of hundred billion rounds of ammo.

And this. If/when the latest madness subsides, I will stock up and begin to count my rounds.  I have a bunch compared to the average gun owner, but I need to get systematic and buy in bulk.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 11:41:25 AM »
We still have a few years left with an administration that is hostile to gun rights.  End of the beginning maybe, but still a ways to go.

Very true.  At this point, I am more worried about Obama's potential Supreme Court appointments.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 12:09:30 PM »

And this. If/when the latest madness subsides, I will stock up and begin to count my rounds.  I have a bunch compared to the average gun owner, but I need to get systematic and buy in bulk.

And I need to find out if one can actually wear out a reloading press.
"It's good, though..."