Author Topic: The third rail is still hot!  (Read 4524 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: The third rail is still hot!
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 01:38:21 PM »
So, Mak, what you're saying is that by going on a business trip, and leaving my safe and contents behind, this bill would define the acrus as a sale of my firearms and require that I do an FFL transfer to my wife?  Then, when i return, she would have to do an FFL transfer back to me?  And, if we take a trip together, and her parents come stay with the kids, I have to do a transfer to the in-laws, and then back again when I return?  That would be assinine.

If the bill is as I remember, yes. Though the bill does not require simply all sales go through an FFL. All TRANSFERS have to go through an FFL. It doesn't have to be defined as a sale, it was a transfer. (Thus, any gift, inheritance, etc... has to be done through an FFL.)

And it was written by Chuck Schumer. Of course it's asinine. (Although your spelling it probably a better description of Schumer.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 01:40:43 PM »
If the bill is as I remember, yes. Though the bill does not require simply all sales go through an FFL. All TRANSFERS have to go through an FFL. It doesn't have to be defined as a sale, it was a transfer.

And it was written by Chuck Schumer. Of course it's asinine. (Although your spelling it probably a better description of Schumer.)

Sorrry for the spelling.  Damned virtual keyboard on this tablet drives me crazy.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 01:41:40 PM »
Sorrry for the spelling.  Damned virtual keyboard on this tablet drives me crazy.

Are you kidding? It was completely appropriate!  :laugh:
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2013, 01:56:50 PM »
I just pulled the actual bill language, and frankly find it interesting.  It does provide for exceptions for estates.  And, it also provides for an exception for a "bona fide gift" between "parents and their children, siblings, and grandparents and their grandchildren."  Interesting...I guess my grandfather cannot give my children his 1911.  the problem with making a list is that by including one thing, you inherently exclude everything else.

Badly written legislation.  Looks like Schumer's attempts to get bi-partisan support failed over record-keeping reqiurements...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/06/chuck-schumer-background-check-bill_n_2822964.html

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark