Author Topic: Two explosions close to the finish line of the Boston Marathon.  (Read 167005 times)

Phyphor

• friend
Re: Two explosions close to the finish line of the Boston Marathon.
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2013, 01:29:41 PM »
"We don't know" is usually where an investigation is less than 24 hours after a major criminal act occurs, despite what C.S.I. teaches us about the process. 

Oh, I know.  I'm just not sure why he chose to just repeat yesterdays speech.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2013, 01:48:24 PM »
A pressure cooker as a bomb vessel, interesting idea. Must have been a small pressure cooker if it fit into a backpack.
Does that mean my 23qt pressure cooker is now baned because it is high capacity?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2013, 02:02:03 PM »
Does that mean my 23qt pressure cooker is now baned because it is high capacity?
WMD.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »
A pressure cooker as a bomb vessel, interesting idea. Must have been a small pressure cooker if it fit into a backpack.

No, but you will need a background check to buy one.

And then we need to close that pesky yard sale loophole.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2013, 03:41:18 PM »
Oh, I know.  I'm just not sure why he chose to just repeat yesterdays speech.

Kind of like last night when I watched the Asst. Director of the FBI come on, then the U.S Attorney, then the Police Commissioner, then the County D.A.

All gotta show their faces to claim they're doing everything right, out of fear a political opponent will argue otherwise.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2013, 04:49:13 PM »
I have a funny feeling that, if that is true, those of us who shoot black powder are going to have a LOT more hoops to jump through before too long.

I just popped over to Grafs. They have all their BP still in stock at normal prices. I'm wondering how long that will last. I'd be inclined to order 10lbs or so right now. On the other hand I wonder how much scrutiny large orders of BP might trigger right now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2013, 04:51:59 PM »
When I saw the flash and smoke black powder was the first thing that popped into my mind.

I have a funny feeling that, if that is true, those of us who shoot black powder are going to have a LOT more hoops to jump through before too long.

I've started making my own.  (Otoh, I don't shoot much BP anymore.)  I am NOT looking forward to having to make my own nitrate.  :P
"It's good, though..."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2013, 04:53:11 PM »
I *just* bought a BP rifle because BP gear wasn't under as much pressure as centerfire and rimfire.

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2013, 05:02:49 PM »

Watch for stop-and-search of people with backpacks.  "4th amendment, wha dat?"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2013, 05:06:20 PM »
Watch for stop-and-search of people with backpacks.  "4th amendment, wha dat?"

They're going to be mighty busy in/around schools.

Chris

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2013, 06:10:36 PM »
I am morbidly impressed that you guys called it a BP bomb first, before the police/fbi/etc released the info after residue review.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2013, 06:26:51 PM »
I am morbidly impressed that you guys called it a BP bomb first, before the police/fbi/etc released the info after residue review.

I think what some of us are saying that it doesn't matter what the actual chemical composition turns out to be - restrictions on BP and propellant will likely be debated regardless.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #137 on: April 16, 2013, 06:36:51 PM »
The fact that the target was an event of great significance to Boston but not particularly significant to the wider world could indicate that the bomber was a local or at least a native of the United States. The explosions occurred on April 15, tax day, which could be a further indication of a domestic connection.

Dear God Almighty!

So the fact that the bomb was set at the finish line of the Boston marathon, which is one of the most famous marathons in the world and attracts 27,000 runners plus possibly hundreds of thousands of spectators (in other words, a high-profile, target-rich environment) -- there's no way the timing could have been related to the date of the marathon? It MUST have been a tax day protest?

Give ... me ... a ... break.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #138 on: April 16, 2013, 06:38:11 PM »
I *just* bought a BP rifle because BP gear wasn't under as much pressure as centerfire and rimfire.

Chris

Timing is everything ...

birdman

• friend
« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2013, 08:11:11 PM »
And BAM.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-boston-marathon-explosions-20130416,0,4548564.story

Note that neither the article nor the source differentiates between powder and propellant.

Get ready to spin me right round very right round, like a record baby, right round round round....

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2013, 08:31:53 PM »
Two very interesting links at Drudge:

http://freebeacon.com/al-qaeda-link-probed/

An AQ magazine suggested using pressure cookers in 2010.

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2013/04/16/saudi_national_no_longer_person_of_interest_in_boston_bombings_no_other_suspects

No suspects.

A big part of me hopes this event goes unsolved.

Why?  How could I be so callous to justice? 

I'm tired of nannyism.  You just can't prevent everything.  You can't buy security.  You have to earn it.  And maybe something like this going unsolved would cause New England and other parts of the US that aren't "flyover" to start taking accountability for individual actions and security rather than shoving more collectivism down my throat.

But they're probably more likely to just go London/Orwellian and throw a bunch of cameras, random van-mounted backscatter X-ray machines, obligatory frisks and searches and other things that make me stay away from "their" cities.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2013, 08:42:16 PM »
Two very interesting links at Drudge:

http://freebeacon.com/al-qaeda-link-probed/

An AQ magazine suggested using pressure cookers in 2010.

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2013/04/16/saudi_national_no_longer_person_of_interest_in_boston_bombings_no_other_suspects

No suspects.

I'm tired of nannyism.  You just can't prevent everything.  You can't buy security.  You have to earn it.  And maybe something like this going unsolved would cause New England and other parts of the US that aren't "flyover" to start taking accountability for individual actions and security rather than shoving more collectivism down my throat.

But they're probably more likely to just go London/Orwellian and throw a bunch of cameras, random van-mounted backscatter X-ray machines, obligatory frisks and searches and other things that make me stay away from "their" cities.
Dear sweet fluffy Cthulhu

I agree completely
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #142 on: April 16, 2013, 09:03:32 PM »
And BAM.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-boston-marathon-explosions-20130416,0,4548564.story

Note that neither the article nor the source differentiates between powder and propellant.

Get ready to spin me right round very right round, like a record baby, right round round round....

I find it interesting that the source(s) [allegedly] don't seem to actually come right out and say that the explosive residue was of gunpowder, blackpowder, etc.   Just seem to make that assumption.   Granted, that assumption may be correct, but I'm so [censored] tired of the media just pulling things out of their fourth point of contact....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #143 on: April 16, 2013, 09:09:40 PM »
Dear sweet fluffy Cthulhu

I agree completely

What he said,  and well said.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #144 on: April 16, 2013, 10:56:32 PM »
Anybody else notice they failed to throw a welcome back party for the word "terrorism"? He's been out in the cold for a while, and he just suddenly shows up, and nobody says anything? Odd.  ;/

Well, I guess he hasn't been totally gone. Just ruled out for anything that can't be blamed on the vast right-wing conspiracy.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #145 on: April 16, 2013, 10:57:50 PM »

Hey, whatever it takes to keep you away. I can't blame 'em!  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #146 on: April 16, 2013, 11:14:28 PM »
Crime scene photos:

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/21996004/exclusive-photos-boston-marathon-bomb

Pressure cooker + BP + pellets and finishing nails apparently.

Does sorta make make sense, but another part of me wants to see the perpetrator castrated with a golf club.   :mad: [ar15]

Seriously though, if this goes unsolved (or solved, really), that guy on the roof is gonna be Boston's version of the grassy knoll.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:27:00 PM by CypherNinja »
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #147 on: April 17, 2013, 12:03:13 AM »
Anybody else notice they failed to throw a welcome back party for the word "terrorism"? He's been out in the cold for a while, and he just suddenly shows up, and nobody says anything? Odd.  ;/

Well, I guess he hasn't been totally gone. Just ruled out for anything that can't be blamed on the vast right-wing conspiracy.

What I noticed was some DHS talking head in an interview taking credit for the fact that we haven't had many high profile bombings for a number of years. But as he got into specifics of some plots, it became immediately apparent that the plots were not stopped by DHS (or any other government agency at any level), but by the stupidity and/or incompetence of the plotters.

I was not reassured by his words (not that I expected to be).

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #148 on: April 17, 2013, 01:49:01 AM »
Why a pressure cooker?  I know it's a pressure vessel, but so is a 1# propane tank, and those are cheaper and should have a much higher burst strength.  Or just a good ol' fashioned pipe with endcaps.  It's not like they were creating a steam BLEV explosion.

Probably not good to wonder these things out-loud...
"It's good, though..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #149 on: April 17, 2013, 08:04:47 AM »
Why a pressure cooker?  I know it's a pressure vessel, but so is a 1# propane tank, and those are cheaper and should have a much higher burst strength.  Or just a good ol' fashioned pipe with endcaps.  It's not like they were creating a steam BLEV explosion.

Probably not good to wonder these things out-loud...

It was in one of Al Queda's magazines how to make one from a pressure cooker.

http://minx.cc:81/?post=208787

This blog post summarizes the point without having to go to an Al Queda website for the details.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought