Author Topic: Two explosions close to the finish line of the Boston Marathon.  (Read 166991 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Two explosions close to the finish line of the Boston Marathon.
« Reply #325 on: April 19, 2013, 04:00:16 PM »
When they were showing clips of the searches they showed some people decked out in gear riding on what looked like an APC with an M240 mounted on top.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #326 on: April 19, 2013, 04:01:51 PM »
When they were showing clips of the searches they showed some people decked out in gear riding on what looked like an APC with an M240 mounted on top.

If it's like LA, they will start machine-gunning anyone wearing a baseball cap  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

birdman

• friend
« Reply #327 on: April 19, 2013, 04:04:00 PM »
Whatever.

Get over myself?  I took offense to something you said, and a mischaracterization, and that makes me a drama queen?  

This isn't a "my alma mater is awesome" this is a "you are implying something about a group of people, and implying membership in that group of bad people, and since I know that group well, and am a me,bet of that group, you are thus implying something about me"...funny, that SEEMS like a reason to be bothered by something.

If you had said "seems like a connection to mid-30's Caucasian guys from Menomonee falls" (thereby taking something an individual did and implying something about a group) I would have been equally bothered.

What makes students at MIT so special that prevents the possibility that a student there from doing something horrific? ???

Any word on why they were at MIT?

1. They WEREN'T AT MIT, they were NEAR MIT...THIS is the reason the speculative bullshit amd "frat boy" "connection" hypothesizing is bad.
2. What makes it special?  Um, a small community that focuses on technological solutions to problems, composed of extremely bright people with, to almost a near 100% majority doesn't stand for radicalization...yeah, total terrorist cadre there.  

Is it possible, sure, but WE ALL take offense when someone implies a connection between mass shooters and OUR community (eg the "NRA certificate" chatter about mom Lanza, etc), and yet I can't take offense when someone implies a similar community connection to really bad actors based purely on circumstantial (geography, and a "frat boy" look)?

Seriously people, its not that crazy to want to defend a community of people you share something with, we do it constantly, we police what people imply about that community's "connection" to things and attempt to defend it, and we all get bothered when someone implies a connection, and now you are ostracizing me, or calling me a drama queen for doing the exact same thing?  Hypocrisy much?

We all "know" certain communities or groups, and if we are part of that group, take false implications as impugning that group.  All I was saying was that I took offense to it, as it was based on a FLAWED hypothesis...(frat boy look...and even if it was, do you know what the frat boy look percentage at MIT is?) that implied really bad folks were members of MY community.

Sheesh.

As for "drama queen", well, I didn't call names, nor attack individuals, only viewpoints.  

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #328 on: April 19, 2013, 04:08:29 PM »
Good grief.  Getting a tad spun up, we are.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #329 on: April 19, 2013, 04:10:59 PM »
What makes students at MIT so special that prevents the possibility that a student there from doing something horrific? ???

Any word on why they were at MIT?

Probably just an easy area to blend in.  I honestly don't think they had much of an E&E plan, and things have gone square sideways.  I'm thinking the younger brother either slipped the cordon in the post-shoot out chaos, or he is in someone's house holding them at gun point.

UN TWIST THE PANTIES GIRLS.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #330 on: April 19, 2013, 04:12:43 PM »
It's surprising a 19 y/o managed to both escape the cops during the shootout, and evade capture for so long with this many folks hunting for him.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #331 on: April 19, 2013, 04:14:09 PM »
These house-to-house searches currently underway...

Are they done with a warrant in place, Executive Order, what?

Can a citizen tell these military wannabees "No, now get off my lawn/roof"?

http://www.wpxi.com/videos/news/social-media-captures-house-to-house-searches-near/vyWzJ/

I was also wondering about that. Given that someone said "no", could LE justify a search anyway, stating they thought the homeowner might have been under duress (suspect hiding in their house)?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #332 on: April 19, 2013, 04:15:04 PM »
Agreed.  Makes me wonder if he slipped out of the area some how.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #333 on: April 19, 2013, 04:18:27 PM »
I was also wondering about that. Given that someone said "no", could LE justify a search anyway, stating they thought the homeowner might have been under duress (suspect hiding in their house)?

lulz.

3rd amendment suspended in Boston.  BOSTON.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #334 on: April 19, 2013, 04:19:58 PM »
It's surprising a 19 y/o managed to both escape the cops during the shootout, and evade capture for so long with this many folks hunting for him.

Immediately after the shoot out, I imagine there was a huge focus on the site itself.  Chaos and fog of war, ied devices, shooting, news people coming in on the site, yeah.....Chaos.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #335 on: April 19, 2013, 04:20:55 PM »
Agreed.  Makes me wonder if he slipped out of the area some how.

Given what I'm sure the sentiment in Boston must be about the bombers, maybe they are already "hiding" in somebody's compost pile  >:D   =D

No one yet thought of posting a reward: dead or alive  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #336 on: April 19, 2013, 04:22:14 PM »
4th amendment, actually.

I just heard that the 2 brothers were U Mass students. I guess that means U Mass is a madras, full of terrorists. MIT, of course, is a seminary, full of saints who ride unicorns.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #337 on: April 19, 2013, 04:23:14 PM »
4th amendment, actually.

I just heard that the 2 brothers were U Mass students. I guess that means U Mass is a madras, full of terrorists.

Zing!
JD

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #338 on: April 19, 2013, 04:27:14 PM »
I thought the 'Bazinga' was implied.
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #339 on: April 19, 2013, 04:31:06 PM »

I think they get some slack here; "hot pursuit", or something.  But if they find your bag of weed while they are looking around, would that be admissible?  That might hinge on whether you invited them in or protested.
"It's good, though..."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #340 on: April 19, 2013, 04:34:45 PM »
4th amendment, actually.

I just heard that the 2 brothers were U Mass students. I guess that means U Mass is a madras, full of terrorists. MIT, of course, is a seminary, full of saints who ride unicorns.

If birdman leaves the forums it's your fault.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #341 on: April 19, 2013, 04:35:48 PM »
Immediately after the shoot out, I imagine there was a huge focus on the site itself.  Chaos and fog of war, ied devices, shooting, news people coming in on the site, yeah.....Chaos.

Yeah, I get that. But why wasn't he actively pursued from the scene of the shootout? Cops not have enough mobile assets on site to follow him? You'd think as small as Boston is and as large as the police force assembled there (which includes Nat Guard and DHS I believe) is, he wouldn't have been able to ditch all pursuit and go to ground.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #342 on: April 19, 2013, 04:37:54 PM »
4th amendment, actually.

Well, yeah.  Have you SEEN UMass Dartmouth?  A madras would likely be an improvement.

Btw, the unicorns are in the bldg 5 3rd floor bio-lab, but riding them is prohibited since the unfortunate accident in 2005.

As for saints, well...we did found the American libertarian party :)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #343 on: April 19, 2013, 04:38:10 PM »
4th amendment, actually.

Meh.  House-to-house across an entire metro area pretty much implies occupation.  Occupation involves quartering troops in unwanted places, in private property.  3rd is arguably applicable.  

And I just like the absurdity of the notion of a violation of the 3rd... in Boston. >:D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #344 on: April 19, 2013, 04:50:04 PM »
Well, if you want my opinion (and who doesn't?)...

It's chilly in Boston, so he's approaching room temperature.  He killed himself hours ago.  I base this on my own psychic premonition.  And the fact that it seems to happen that way in all of the manhunt situations that I selectively remembered after coming up with that.

But seriously. That's my guess.  He's been dead since before lunch.

Btw, I think you mean "Madrassa.". Madras is a fabric.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 04:55:20 PM by Azrael256 »

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #345 on: April 19, 2013, 04:51:18 PM »
Possible. But most folks bent on suicide don't do such an effective job fighting the cops and making a getaway.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #346 on: April 19, 2013, 04:52:04 PM »
Meh.  House-to-house across an entire metro area pretty much implies occupation.  Occupation involves quartering troops in unwanted places, in private property.  3rd is arguably applicable.  

And I just like the absurdity of the notion of a violation of the 3rd... in Boston. >:D

That happened before, didn't it?  I mean there had to be a reason we have the 3rd amendment, right?  >:D

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #347 on: April 19, 2013, 04:56:04 PM »
Possible. But most folks bent on suicide don't do such an effective job fighting the cops and making a getaway.

Remember, his bro is already going full rabbit in paradise. We don't know the impact of that, or the "Oh, ****!" influence of the last several days. If he hasn't sought out his heroic final stand yet, Azrael256 may have it.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #348 on: April 19, 2013, 04:57:16 PM »
Interesting and highly possible hypothesis l hasn't considered yet.....
JD

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #349 on: April 19, 2013, 05:01:45 PM »
It actually occurred to me because he hasn't been found yet despite the manhunt.  The whole town is after him.  Either hide exceptionally well, or be something other than what they're looking for.  So either turn into a squirrel and scurry off, or be a corpse.

Or he found an empty unlocked house and hid in the attic.  Or he slipped away.  Just a feeling says suicide.