Author Topic: Two explosions close to the finish line of the Boston Marathon.  (Read 166977 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Two explosions close to the finish line of the Boston Marathon.
« Reply #425 on: April 21, 2013, 07:17:28 AM »
The two real questions are of course was the lockdown really 'voluntary', and did police force their way into homes?

If the answers and yes and no, then this whole thing goes to show how most people would react to martial law.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #426 on: April 21, 2013, 08:47:38 AM »
They are.

Reports from Friday night were that interrogation would be handled by "Obama's" (not "the Federal") high level interrogation team, and that the circumstances of the case allow them to interrogate him without  reading him a Miranda warning. I'll have to dredge up the Miranda decision and re-read it ... I don't recall anything in the decision that said warnings must be given except when the President doesn't want to do so.

It depends on what they want to do with the information and how long they interrogate him.  Miranda doesn't prevent police from interrogating people, rather it prevents statements obtained this way from being introduced in court.  Police could still use information in their investigation and could still use physical evidence that was obtained.  There is also a public safety exception.  New York v. Quarles, 467 U.S. 649 (1984).

If it turns out that there is a lot of evidence against Tsarnaev, then they might not need his statements to convict him. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #427 on: April 21, 2013, 08:51:56 AM »
It depends on what they want to do with the information and how long they interrogate him.  Miranda doesn't prevent police from interrogating people, rather it prevents statements obtained this way from being introduced in court.  Police could still use information in their investigation and could still use physical evidence that was obtained.  There is also a public safety exception.  New York v. Quarles, 467 U.S. 649 (1984).

If it turns out that there is a lot of evidence against Tsarnaev, then they might not need his statements to convict him. 

Thank god somebody understands what Miranda rights actually mean.

Not reading Miranda rights is actually common. *Gasp* I know. Unfortunately the vast majority of the public only has a view of Miranda as given by TV/movies and has little to no idea of how it works.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #428 on: April 21, 2013, 09:27:43 AM »

I thought the same thing...perhaps even more so that they have plenty of evidence to convict him without a confession and making me question the point of them publically announcing that they aren't mirandizing him. Not mirandizing him would perhaps help them get him to talk and help them catch bigger terroristic fish, but is the point of announcing it to say "Batches, we don't neeed no steeenking batches!"? Or perhaps are they just trying to flush said bigger terroristic fish into bolting from cover, which might be a good tactic.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #429 on: April 21, 2013, 10:43:03 AM »
The two real questions are of course was the lockdown really 'voluntary', and did police force their way into homes?

If the answers and yes and no, then this whole thing goes to show how most people would react to martial law.

Given that the cops are chasing an armed fugitive through the neighborhood, staying inside might be a wise choice.  ;)

I don't care for all the military getup and vehicles just to chase one teenager, but it could have been handled worse.

At least they let the population know what was going on.  The local sheriff was chasing somebody through the woods and didn't inform residents (except for LE families  ;/ ).  The end result was that some folks let the guy in cold and wet, and he robbed them at gunpoint.  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #430 on: April 21, 2013, 01:04:05 PM »
Given that the cops are chasing an armed fugitive through the neighborhood, staying inside might be a wise choice.  ;)

I don't care for all the military getup and vehicles just to chase one teenager, but it could have been handled worse.

At least they let the population know what was going on.  The local sheriff was chasing somebody through the woods and didn't inform residents (except for LE families  ;/ ).  The end result was that some folks let the guy in cold and wet, and he robbed them at gunpoint.  :facepalm:

I don't dispute what common sense dictates.  My only dispute is with being ordered off the public street, but only if that is in fact what happened.  All reports seem to indicate that it was strongly suggested, but that they were no legal consequences for ignoring the order. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #431 on: April 21, 2013, 01:15:29 PM »
I don't dispute what common sense dictates.  My only dispute is with being ordered off the public street, but only if that is in fact what happened.  All reports seem to indicate that it was strongly suggested, but that they were no legal consequences for ignoring the order. 

Well, given that there is probably no legal basis for such an order, that is good to hear.  =)

Y'all know that I'm not much of a fan of cops anymore.  I'm just trying to take a reasonable view until all the facts are known (if ever).

It does seem that there are some conflicting stories about what happened Thursday night/Friday morning when the older brother was killed.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #432 on: April 21, 2013, 01:38:46 PM »
Yeah, CNN now reports older brother was run over by younger, but still had explosives and triggering device attached to himself.

Would the po-po actually be in the process of cuffing and stuffing somebody if they were so explosively attired?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #433 on: April 21, 2013, 01:51:41 PM »
Would the po-po actually be in the process of cuffing and stuffing somebody if they were so explosively attired?

About the only way I can see that is if the guy had been sufficiently perforated prior to the cuffing attempt. I don't think the po-po would have been taking any chances with him setting off the explosives.

bob 

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #434 on: April 21, 2013, 05:32:03 PM »
Yeah, CNN now reports older brother was run over by younger, but still had explosives and triggering device attached to himself.

They might if they thought it worth the risk to secure him enough for the EOD guys to come in and do their thing.
It's also possible they didn't realize he was wearing asplodey undies just then.  Be a heck of a note to be the guy cuffing the baddie and noticing his odd fashion choices just as the cuffs click home.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #435 on: April 21, 2013, 09:13:04 PM »
Not lookin' too voluntary here (glad the video camera owner survived the incident):

http://youtu.be/2LrbsUVSVl8

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #436 on: April 21, 2013, 09:23:42 PM »
At least they didn't shoot the dog!
"It's good, though..."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #437 on: April 21, 2013, 09:35:56 PM »
Not lookin' too voluntary here (glad the video camera owner survived the incident):

Wow.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #438 on: April 21, 2013, 09:41:35 PM »

I feel so much safer now  ;/

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #439 on: April 21, 2013, 09:45:08 PM »

My BP did not need that.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #440 on: April 21, 2013, 09:53:09 PM »

got a date and address on that one?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #441 on: April 21, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
No.

Do you? 

(I got the video link from Oleg, sorry if that's not good enough for you...)

• friends
« Reply #442 on: April 21, 2013, 10:05:40 PM »
you can't see how location and date matter?  really?

heres another video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfOvHuojEB4
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 10:13:00 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #443 on: April 21, 2013, 10:17:04 PM »
Try not to be a total police sympathizer, C&SD, if only for a couple minutes, ok?  ;/

Look at the description of the video.  Sure, it could have been a drug bust from some time before the search for our two Chechen youths.   There's ALWAYS that chance.

WATERTOWN, MA -- On Friday, April 19, 2013, during a manhunt for a bombing suspect, police and federal agents spent the day storming people's homes and performing illegal searches. While it was unclear initially if the home searches were voluntary, it is now crystal clear that they were absolutely NOT voluntary. Police were filmed ripping people from their homes at gunpoint, marching the residents out with their hands raised in submission, and then storming the homes to perform their illegal searches.

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #444 on: April 21, 2013, 10:20:45 PM »
Did you notice they all get patted down too?

• friends
« Reply #445 on: April 21, 2013, 10:24:11 PM »
Try not to be a total police sympathizer, C&SD, if only for a couple minutes, ok?  ;/

Look at the description of the video.  Sure, it could have been a drug bust from some time before the search for our two Chechen youths.   There's ALWAYS that chance.

WATERTOWN, MA -- On Friday, April 19, 2013, during a manhunt for a bombing suspect, police and federal agents spent the day storming people's homes and performing illegal searches. While it was unclear initially if the home searches were voluntary, it is now crystal clear that they were absolutely NOT voluntary. Police were filmed ripping people from their homes at gunpoint, marching the residents out with their hands raised in submission, and then storming the homes to perform their illegal searches.

oh i firmly believe it was watertown  but my earlier question stands
do you really not see how date and address are very relevant?
do you have to try to not see it?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #446 on: April 21, 2013, 10:37:23 PM »
To be able to act like such complete newbs when it comes to hostile police interaction takes a great deal of training.  Obviously, all these seemingly innocuous subjects are highly trained terrorist cell members.  Glad our brave LEOs nabbed them before they could pull another nefarious removal of a mattress tag.

If you go to the poster's facebook page, this is not the only video/photo he has of citizens being herded about at gunpoint.

Here is one with a street sign, "Willow Park."

Poster asked, "Does that look voluntary to you?"

Willow Park (road/street), Watertown, Mass happens to exist.
http://goo.gl/maps/if2O0

Willow Park (road/street), Wellesley, Mass happens to exist.
http://goo.gl/maps/c7D0V

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #447 on: April 21, 2013, 10:39:59 PM »
I'll take Watertown, MA on Friday, April 19th, 2013 for $100, Alex.

Tsarnaev's former roommates were from an apartment complex in New Bedford.

The two college-aged males and one college-aged female were detained by the FBI following a raid at the Hidden Brook apartment complex Friday evening. The complex entrance is at 42 West Hill Road, south of Interstate 195 and between Route 140 and Hathaway Road.

On Friday, Lt. Robert Richard told The Standard-Times that the students were believed to be fellow students or roommates of Tsarnaev, who is a registered student at UMass Dartmouth.

Are you saying this video is not what it purports?

Do you have info stating otherwise?

Or are you just being coy?

(And for the record, if this is some kind of tinfoil-helmet hoax propogated by somebody with an axe to grind, I'll be the first to admit my mistake upon discovering said hoax...)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #448 on: April 21, 2013, 10:44:37 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBKCnJPFO5I
These folks woke up to police searching their garage.

"Does that look voluntary to you?"
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #449 on: April 21, 2013, 10:45:44 PM »
Looks like they didn't even give the redhead time to get a pair of shoes on. Oh well, I can understand, it was for the public safety.  ;)

bob