Author Topic: Two explosions close to the finish line of the Boston Marathon.  (Read 166946 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Two explosions close to the finish line of the Boston Marathon.
« Reply #525 on: April 26, 2013, 07:45:11 PM »
....Or that it was a boating accident.

APS knows boating accidents.  Why, just the other day, I was hauling up shrimp pots in my kayak when it overturned, dumping all my firearms into Puget Sound.  Truly a boating accident.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #526 on: April 26, 2013, 08:12:38 PM »
APS knows boating accidents.  Why, just the other day, I was hauling up shrimp pots in my kayak when it overturned, dumping all my firearms into Puget Sound.  Truly a boating accident.

And if the cops question you further, just clam up.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #527 on: April 26, 2013, 11:00:24 PM »

:rofl:

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #528 on: April 27, 2013, 10:43:36 AM »
Well, not to mention that the cops gratuitously riddled a boat with bullets  rolleyes

Yes, I'm highly disappointed about that.

Because they didn't kill the *expletive deleted*er. When will marksmanship standards improve?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #529 on: April 27, 2013, 11:00:23 AM »
Yes, I'm highly disappointed about that.

Because they didn't kill the *expletive deleted*er. When will marksmanship standards improve?

Well, I guess that they mostly proved that they can hit the broad side of a boat  :facepalm:

1. How did they know for sure that the person in the boat was the suspect?
2. Are police the judges and executioners now?
3. Where did all those bullets go?  Did some go through or past the boat?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #530 on: April 28, 2013, 12:27:13 PM »
Well, I guess that they mostly proved that they can hit the broad side of a boat  :facepalm:

1. How did they know for sure that the person in the boat was the suspect?
2. Are police the judges and executioners now?
3. Where did all those bullets go?  Did some go through or past the boat?

Fiberglass isn't exactly a bullet resistant material.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #531 on: April 28, 2013, 01:17:05 PM »

Fiberglass isn't exactly a bullet resistant material.....

Or plywood, for that matter.

I guess it depends on the caliber.  Would a .223 just blow up hitting GRP or plywood topsides  ???

The gas tank might slow down the bullet a bit  ;/

erictank

• friends
« Reply #532 on: April 28, 2013, 03:05:28 PM »
Or plywood, for that matter.

I guess it depends on the caliber.  Would a .223 just blow up hitting GRP or plywood topsides  ???

The gas tank might slow down the bullet a bit  ;/

Depends on the bullet, I'd imagine. Lightweight Hornady TAP .223 might not make it through the boat, but I'd bet lots of other bullets would.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #533 on: April 28, 2013, 07:39:39 PM »
Depends on the bullet, I'd imagine. Lightweight Hornady TAP .223 might not make it through the boat, but I'd bet lots of other bullets would.

Googling found this:
http://how-i-did-it.org/drywall/results.html

55gr TAP penetrated multiple drywall walls, so I would venture that it would penetrate a normal boat hull, albeit as either one or two big chunks.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #534 on: April 28, 2013, 09:42:18 PM »
Googling found this:
http://how-i-did-it.org/drywall/results.html

55gr TAP penetrated multiple drywall walls, so I would venture that it would penetrate a normal boat hull, albeit as either one or two big chunks.

Boats aren't made of dry wall  =D

Anyway the question wasn't whether it would penetrate one side but whether it would penetrate both sides.  I haven't seen a picture of the starboard side of the boat (nor anything else downrange  :O ).

Of course, inboard engines, bronze fittings, and terrorists would tend to slow down or stop bullets even more than the topsides.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #535 on: April 28, 2013, 10:03:38 PM »
In my own tests with Black Hills FMJ, it penetrated 3 consecutive 8" cedar logs. I ran out of cedar logs after that. I would expect .223 FMJ to zip straight through a wood boat unless it hit a stringer or engine block or something.

However, Hornady V-max, loaded hot, doesn't even penetrate a cardboard box (the second side of the box looks like birdshot).
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

freakazoid

• friend
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

erictank

• friends
« Reply #537 on: April 29, 2013, 12:36:28 PM »
Boats aren't made of dry wall  =D

Anyway the question wasn't whether it would penetrate one side but whether it would penetrate both sides.  I haven't seen a picture of the starboard side of the boat (nor anything else downrange  :O ).

Of course, inboard engines, bronze fittings, and terrorists would tend to slow down or stop bullets even more than the topsides.

That's pretty much what I meant, though I wasn't clear in my OP. Wonder if the aforementioned TAP, or similar, rounds would go through-and-through? I'm leaning towards no, but have little to base that on in fact.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/theboxotruth.htm

Interesting - wonder if the testing page I'd seen in the past was deliberately shooting at the 2x4s in the "interior walls" they used for testing? Though it didn't look like it from the pics, frankly. They got much lower penetration than BoT, though it looks like BoT only used FMJ (which on the other site did in fact penetrate all three "interior walls" and keep on going - it was only the low-penetration TAP/frangible types that didn't punch through at least two full walls, IIRC). Looks like BoT #4 tested a .223 round generally similar to the ones I saw on that other page, which for BoT penetrated 4 walls' worth of drywall (8 sheets). <shrug> Looks lie similar penetration of walls to 00 Buck, and far more controllable by a small-framed individual; you have to aim either weapon (AR or shotgun) and you've got 30 shots from the AR versus a practical max of 8-9 even from an extended shotgun mag, so I'd still give the advantage to an AR, it's just not quite as safe to bystanders as I'd been led to believe.

It does look more like rounds that missed whatshisname in the boat probably had a good chance of going through-and-through, though.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #538 on: April 30, 2013, 12:32:12 AM »
Is anyone surprised at this?

Female DNA found on bomb components in Boston Marathon probe, source says

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/29/marathon-bombing-probe-female-dna/#ixzz2Ruy6dFce

Female DNA was found on bomb components used in the attack this month on the Boston Marathon, a source familiar with the investigation confirmed to Fox News, though the source cautioned that it is too early to draw hard conclusions from that evidence.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/29/marathon-bombing-probe-female-dna/#ixzz2RuyCdMfj

Hmmmmm........
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #539 on: April 30, 2013, 12:47:21 AM »
Is anyone surprised at this?

Female DNA found on bomb components in Boston Marathon probe, source says

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/29/marathon-bombing-probe-female-dna/#ixzz2Ruy6dFce

Hmmmmm........

Um... it's a bomb.  When they go asplodey, they're SUPPOSED to intermingle with all sorts of DNA. :'(
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #540 on: April 30, 2013, 05:19:33 AM »
Perhaps it wasn't part of the shrapnel or other explody bits?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Two explosions close to the finish line of the Boston Marathon.
« Reply #541 on: April 30, 2013, 06:14:30 AM »
Dna has come a long way. They can use contact samples of a few cells.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #542 on: April 30, 2013, 07:59:16 AM »
Maybe Older Brother had a closer working relationship with his wife than earlier thought.......

.....that, or just transfer DNA from OB's clothing....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #543 on: April 30, 2013, 09:17:04 AM »
Didn't they use a pressure cooker as the bomb case?  Perhaps grandma left some DNA on there?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #544 on: May 01, 2013, 12:34:10 AM »
Lots of perfectly innocent, and nefarious, explanations for the XX being found.  Question will be whether it matches the wife, or the mom, or someone else.  Then the question will be how it got on the part it was found on.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #545 on: May 01, 2013, 10:18:05 AM »
Lots of perfectly innocent, and nefarious, explanations for the XX being found.  Question will be whether it matches the wife, or the mom, or someone else.  Then the question will be how it got on the part it was found on.

Hey, Tam - have you seen my pressure cooker?  I'm sure that I put it back on the shelf after I washed it.  =|

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #546 on: May 01, 2013, 12:32:40 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/breaking-boston-police-three-boston-marathon-bombing-suspects-151027478.html

I smell a cell, intelligence failures, and an administration with it's head in the sand. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #547 on: May 01, 2013, 12:34:05 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/breaking-boston-police-three-boston-marathon-bombing-suspects-151027478.html

I smell a cell, intelligence failures, and an administration with it's head in the sand. 

I kind of figured that once they determined who the suspects were.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #548 on: May 01, 2013, 12:45:25 PM »
the police department said there was no threat to public safety at this time.

Boston is totally crime free now  ???

;/

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #549 on: May 01, 2013, 04:20:11 PM »

Funny how I haven't heard much MSM outrage over the failure to "connect the dots." Anyone else heard that yet?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife