Author Topic: Cato goes full retard  (Read 8454 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Cato goes full retard
« on: April 29, 2013, 11:28:12 AM »
The libertarian Cato Institute has now officially endorsed the abortion that is Manchin-Toomey. http://www.cato.org/blog/further-thoughts-sensible-gun-legislation

How disappointing.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Cato goes full retard
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 11:46:42 AM »
Wow. Levy is REALLY trying to sugar coat it.

"No, no no! REALLY! It's a GUN RIGHTS bill! With just a SMALL concession to the gun grabbers! And it doesn't affect ANY face to face transaction outside of a gun show!"

(So, sugar coating and blatant lies. Thanks, Cato.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

erictank

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 12:17:54 PM »
Damn. And they used to be reasonably good.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 12:20:49 PM »
Cato gets the need for border control and the unconstitutionality of gun control mixed up on a regular basis.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 04:49:44 PM »
Is it a blogger offering his opinion or is it a genuine, official position of the CATO institute? 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 04:51:56 PM »
Is it a blogger offering his opinion or is it a genuine, official position of the CATO institute? 

Don't know but he appears to be Chairman of the Board of Directors of CATO.

http://www.cato.org/people/robert-levy
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

csmkersh

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 05:00:15 PM »
This is what CATO carried:

http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/libertarian-case-expanding-gun-background-checks

As chairman of the board at CATO he carries some clout in this argument.

Poper

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 07:11:40 PM »
From Levy's column:
Currently, dealers can charge up to $125 for background checks. If these fees are supposed to promote public safety, the taxpayers — and not just law-abiding gun owners — should foot some of the bill.
Since when is is constitutional to charge somebody to exercise their civil rights?  I thought poll taxes were unconstitutional specifically for this reason.

Poper

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 09:08:19 AM »
Seems like it is his own opinion and not the Cato stance.

This article is the Op-Ed he wrote in the NYT: 
http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/libertarian-case-expanding-gun-background-checks

And this article is him expounding on his original article:
http://www.cato.org/blog/further-thoughts-sensible-gun-legislation
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 09:41:31 AM »
Fourth, Manchin-Toomey reinforces current law permitting interstate transportation of firearms and ammunition—unless a certain weapon or use is barred. Guns have to be unloaded and inaccessible or locked, but the re-write of existing rules helps. Most important, state laws against unlicensed possession are preempted.

Here's some of his sugar coating that just papers over the real problems.

It's his throw-away line that is the problem: "—unless a certain weapon or use is barred."

In other words, "you rubes won't have to worry about whether you are legal while travelling and check out every state law between you and your destination.... OH, yeah, unless one of the states you are driving through and you have no intention of stopping in has banned the gun you are transporting. So, yeah, you have to know the state laws of every state you are driving through. But it's an IMPROVEMENT!... Because... shut up."

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 11:13:10 AM »
I'm sorry but I don't see any real improvement for our rights in exchange for giving up so much...despite what supporters of the bill say.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 12:54:13 PM »
I'm sorry but I don't see any real improvement for our rights in exchange for giving up so much...despite what supporters of the bill say.

That, little sister, is no bargain [/rooster cogburn]

;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 02:30:45 PM »
Off topic.
From the article,
"First, the bill allows interstate handgun sales through dealers—under roughly the same rules that now govern long gun sales. Current law does not permit buying handguns from out-of-state sellers. So the new provision represents a major development. "

I'm not sure I'm understanding what was the law and what this would change. My understanding is that if you are in another state, or are buying online, and want to buy a handgun or long gun it has to be shipped to a dealer. Is this saying that that is true of long guns but not handguns?

???
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 02:36:39 PM »
Under federal law you can buy long guns in person, from an FFL, in any state as long as the gun you are buying is legal in your home state.

State laws vary.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 02:45:09 PM »

Long guns can be purchased at any FFL, on location, by walk-in customers regardless of their state of residence.  (The legality of taking it home with you is entirely your own concern, depending on your local home state laws.)

In other words, I can drive to Texas from Idaho, buy a rifle or shotgun, and drive home with it.

It used to be that out-of-staters could only buy a long gun in a neighboring state.  So a Nevada FFL could sell a long gun, over the counter, to residents of Nevada, Arizona, Utah, California, Oregon, and Idaho.

This is no longer the case, and over-the-counter sales of long guns can be made regardless of one's state of residence.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 04:49:49 PM »
I just don't see how giving up one freedom to get back another freedom that we should have had all along is a good deal  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 06:48:17 PM »
I just don't see how giving up one freedom to get back another freedom that we should have had all along is a good deal  =(

I think the advantage is supposed to be that the other side feels like they've done something, so they will leave us alone. Also, we avoid looking like gun rights absolutists that won't compromise on "sensible" gun legislation, and don't care how many of the children are murdered to death by guns. More importantly, blue-state politicians get to claim they did something about the scary guns.

I say no more compromise. Let's not give them a single thing that makes them think they have any momentum on this issue. Frustrate the extremists at every turn.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 11:29:07 AM »
Seems like it is his own opinion and not the Cato stance.

This article is the Op-Ed he wrote in the NYT: 

And this article is him expounding on his original article:
http://www.cato.org/blog/further-thoughts-sensible-gun-legislation

When someone on the board of directors writes an article, and the group publishes it on their website and other media outlets Facebook/etc... How much more official do you want it?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 01:42:43 PM »
Still scratchimg my head and trying to figure out how giving the anti's the UBC in exchange for beimg able to buy a handgun in any state and a "reinforcement"
of the FOPA travel protections that select cities/states will comtinue to ignore is a "big win in exhange for giving up a little bit"
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 02:12:42 PM »
Still scratchimg my head and trying to figure out how giving the anti's the UBC in exchange for beimg able to buy a handgun in any state and a "reinforcement"
of the FOPA travel protections that select cities/states will comtinue to ignore is a "big win in exhange for giving up a little bit"

You know, I was as confused as you, and then I realized. It's a "Big Win" because instead of getting absolutely nothing in this loss of freedom, we get some crumbs. Which, I will admit, is better than the usual power grab.

It is, however, NOT a worthwhile trade when doing absolutely nothing is far better.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 02:40:35 PM »
I think the basic premise (which is dead wrong) that the author is going off of is that UBC is a great idea, and this also tacks on some other good stuff as well.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 03:19:24 PM »
When someone on the board of directors writes an article, and the group publishes it on their website and other media outlets Facebook/etc... How much more official do you want it?

"In an op-ed on the New York Times web site yesterday, I voice my belief that the gun control bill authored by Sens. Joe Manchin and Pat Toomey, if properly modified, can and should pass with the support of gun rights advocates."

From your link.  Emphasis added. 

Still the opinion of one man.  He's on the Board, of course they're gonna post it their website.  To me, that doesn't make it official.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 04:08:53 PM »
What would make it official, in your mind? They don't exactly have a party platform or detailed mission statement.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 05:43:02 PM »
What would make it official, in your mind? They don't exactly have a party platform or detailed mission statement.

While it may not be "official," it would carry more weight, I think, if it had come from John Allison or David Boaz.  The guys that really run Cato.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 06:07:39 PM »
That's some pretty fine hairsplitting. "Oh, it's not our real official position, as anyone with a detailed knowledge of our internal power structures would know! We just had a high level member of the org publish it as an oped in the NYT, nothing official about that!"

I mean really...