Author Topic: Neo-prohibitionists are at it again  (Read 10480 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Neo-prohibitionists are at it again
« on: May 14, 2013, 11:43:42 AM »
NTSB is recommending lowering the drunk-driving threshhold to .05%:
http://www.kttc.com/story/22241869/progress-sought-on-drunken-driving-deaths

Most alcohol-related deaths are caused by drivers well-over the ancient .15% limit -- and often repeat offenders at that.  So the obvious answer is to criminalize the the ones who are *not* part of the problem.  That makes the statistics go up, justifying the existence of more regulation.
"It's good, though..."

brimic

• friends
Re: Neo-prohibitionists are at it again
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 11:47:04 AM »
I just saw on the late night news recently some biatch talking about a .gov funded study she did on the costs of drinking. She concluded that alcohol needed to be taxed at the same rate cigarettes are. I almost kicked the tv off the stand.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 01:01:47 PM »
I just saw on the late night news recently some biatch talking about a .gov funded study she did on the costs of drinking. She concluded that alcohol needed to be taxed at the same rate cigarettes are. I almost kicked the tv off the stand.

We need more revenue, to fund more studies.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 01:04:22 PM »
Its for the children.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 01:10:15 PM »
Its for the children.

Nearly half of all accidents are caused by people driving drunk.

Which means that more than half are cause by people driving sober.

So we need to make a crime to drive sober  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 01:37:59 PM »
Nearly half of all accidents are caused by people driving drunk.

Which means that more than half are cause by people driving sober.

So we need to make a crime to drive sober  :facepalm:

Most every auto accident is caused by people who have imbibed saliva prior to the accident.  The answer is clear: outlaw saliva or make the imbibing of saliva illegal.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 03:07:24 PM »
Every accident, every murder... every bad thing that happens in the world, is caused by someone or something that has come into contact with oxygen

If we ban oxygen, we fix EVERYTHING
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 03:14:20 PM »
Every accident, every murder... every bad thing that happens in the world, is caused by someone or something that has come into contact with oxygen

If we ban oxygen, we fix EVERYTHING

MAOO
Mothers Against O2
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 04:16:00 PM »

Why can't these Prohibitionists try to make a run at passing the Volstead Act again, or leave us all alone?

Gutless cowards. Either make a stand, or go away. This whining, hand wringing ploy is annoying to everyone involved.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 05:19:09 PM »
You all are obviously just a bunch of drunks who want to be able to drive while sloshed.  :angel:  :laugh:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 09:05:55 PM »
I want to see objective evidence of wht BAC actually constitutes impairment that measurably degrades driving safety.  If that is .05 then so be it.  If that is .03 then go down to there.  If, as I suspect, it is more like .08 or higher then they need to *expletive deleted*ck off and leave well enough alone.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 11:13:49 PM »
Read the reports on drunk driving fatalities and injuries.

You don't see folks with BAC of .0anything. Pretty much every such report I've ever seen has had someone with a BAC of .1 or higher (and many, it seems, would be more properly stated as an ABC)

No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 08:23:18 AM »
MAOO
Mothers Against O2
Just call it a diatomic molecular chalcogen, and get people to sign a petition demanding government controls.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 09:31:02 AM »
Read the reports on drunk driving fatalities and injuries.

You don't see folks with BAC of .0anything. Pretty much every such report I've ever seen has had someone with a BAC of .1 or higher (and many, it seems, would be more properly stated as an ABC)

This...  I'd love to see a report on the # of accidents caused by people w/ a BAC between .05 and .08.  Because clearly if they say it would "save lives" then there must be some verifiable evidence of accidents happening in that range.  Because otherwise it'd be nothing but an attempt to increase revenues by fining people thousands of dollars for something that doesn't actually contribute to DUII accidents.......
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 09:39:22 AM »
Even if there were such numbers it wouldn't be meaningful. Remember most accidents happen with a BAC of near zero, and that doesn't mean zero BAC is a contributing factor.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 10:38:33 AM »
To the tune of Werewolves Of London:  MAOOOOOOO!

The presumptive level of guilt for most of my driving is .04% (link.)  Originally, that law provided for a (job, maybe career threatening) 24 hour shut down for any detectable BAC and had problems landing on drivers who used too much aftershave or Lysoled the cab for stench control.  CDL drivers are also subject to random testing and post accident testing.  Come on guys!  Get with the program!

Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 10:44:01 AM »
This...  I'd love to see a report on the # of accidents caused by people w/ a BAC between .05 and .08.  Because clearly if they say it would "save lives" then there must be some verifiable evidence of accidents happening in that range.  Because otherwise it'd be nothing but an attempt to increase revenues by fining people thousands of dollars for something that doesn't actually contribute to DUII accidents.......

It wouldn't matter. Once those people have caused an accident, enforcement is meaningless.  No, the only way to figure out any effectiveness would be DUI accident numbers with and DUI accident numbers without enforcement. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 11:23:19 AM »
I want to see objective evidence of wht BAC actually constitutes impairment that measurably degrades driving safety.  If that is .05 then so be it.  If that is .03 then go down to there.  If, as I suspect, it is more like .08 or higher then they need to *expletive deleted* off and leave well enough alone.

I would be willing to bet I am much, MUCH more dangerous driving my auto with two kids in the back than I would be driving at 0.08BAC with no one in the auto.  I would have to be completely blotto to be more distracted than when my kiddos are tired, hungry, cranky, and fighting.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 01:37:22 PM »
When she was recently arrested for DUI, Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg had a blood alcohol level of 0.239, about three (3) times the current 0.08 limit. I don't see how lowering the legal limit to 0.05 would provide any material benefits.

Travis County includes Austin, TX and several suburban areas.

For a chuckle:  http://austin.ynn.com/content/top_stories/291541/da-lehmberg-guilty-of-dwi--begins-45-day-jail-sentence

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 02:55:01 PM »
I would be willing to bet I am much, MUCH more dangerous driving my auto with two kids in the back than I would be driving at 0.08BAC with no one in the auto.  I would have to be completely blotto to be more distracted than when my kiddos are tired, hungry, cranky, and fighting.

i think a law allowing muzzling kids wives in cars would help
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 03:01:31 PM »
Ah yes, another attempt at making asinine laws rather than dealing with the root cause of the problem.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 03:17:32 PM »
i think a law allowing muzzling kids wives in cars would help

A man can dream....   :angel:

Heck, even when my kids are behaving well, but are talking to me from the back seat, I am distracted.  Probably a couple beer's worth.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 03:19:53 PM »
A man can dream....   :angel:

Heck, even when my kids are behaving well, but are talking to me from the back seat, I am distracted.  Probably a couple beer's worth.

yup  though not in the same way
i have some experience in cocktailing and driving
ironically i did have 2 accidents getting stoned   key word getting

biggest offender in my life is driving tired/asleep
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 03:39:40 PM »
This whole thing is for more tax money.  A DUI generates a whole lot a revenue to .gov and the lawyer's make money too.  They found .1 was good money maker, .08 was even better, how many more people can they nail with .05?

You can do whatever you want, but stay in the house and lock the doors.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

• friends
Re: Re: Neo-prohibitionists are at it again
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 03:54:26 PM »
way more than tax money . their are dui millionaire lawyers. as well as the whole support industry. breathalyzers etc.asap its a machine. heck madd pulls in cash and paid well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2