Author Topic: Neo-prohibitionists are at it again  (Read 10509 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Neo-prohibitionists are at it again
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 01:49:32 PM »
When she was recently arrested for DUI, Travis County District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg had a blood alcohol level of 0.239, about three (3) times the current 0.08 limit. I don't see how lowering the legal limit to 0.05 would provide any material benefits.

Lowering the legal limit would actually make things worse, because then she would have been driving at nearly five times the legal limit. 
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 03:03:30 PM »
Tallpine, think like a liberal~  At 5 times the legal limit think of all the revenue she would be paying to the state, $$$$  A win for the DA's office, a win for her lawyer and a win for the courts.  She is the only loser in the deal.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 03:04:07 PM »
Lowering the legal limit would actually make things worse, because then she would have been driving at nearly five times the legal limit. 

thats what they did with lead levels
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2013, 09:20:59 AM »
Impairment is not the issue.  As mentioned in numerous posts above, impairment/distraction is caused by many things.  However, just because I am distracted or impaired does NOT mean I am causing accidents.  We need to admit as a country that you don't need to be 100% to drive as we ALL drive with distractions or other issues that cause us to not be at 100%.  We don't need to be harassing drivers because they "might" be impaired by a small amount of alcohol.  We need to be going after actual drunk drivers.

Driving my butt home does not require me to be a good enough to pass a some fancy driver test with cones and sudden turns.  I just need to keep it between the lines and stay awake. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2013, 09:45:55 PM »
MAOO
Mothers Against O2

Could we maybe go with "Mothers Opposing Oxygen"?  or "MOO"?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2013, 11:59:02 PM »
It's gotten so I won't even drink a beer with dinner out if I'm driving.
If I get the ticket I lose my job. Even if I beat the charges I'm still out of a job.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams