Author Topic: I miss Dubya  (Read 9693 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Re: Re: I miss Dubya
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 05:51:09 AM »
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Act

I'm not going to say he bears no responsibility,  but look at the yeas and nays. A veto would NOT have prevented its enactment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Vetoing would have likely forced a debate on this - do you think all 98 of these people would have still be  voting for it after, say, a month's debate?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: I miss Dubya
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 09:39:01 AM »
"I voted for it because everybody else voted for it" ?   ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 09:44:57 AM »
Us missing "dubya" is like a domestic violence victim missing when he only hit us once, and only on weekends when he was drinking.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 10:40:51 AM »
Us missing "dubya" is like a domestic violence victim missing when he only hit us once, and only on weekends when he was drinking.
Phooooey.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 11:10:59 AM »
It could have sunset, however:
On Saturday, February 27, 2010, President Barack Obama signed into law legislation that would temporarily extend for one year, three controversial provisions of the Patriot Act that had been set to expire:[178] [179] [180]

Authorize court-approved roving wiretaps that permit surveillance on multiple phones.
    Allow court-approved seizure of records and property in anti-terrorism operations.
    Permit surveillance against a so-called lone wolf, a non-U.S. citizen engaged in terrorism who may not be part of a recognized terrorist group.[181]

In a vote on February 8, 2011, the House of Representatives considered a further extension of the Act through the end of 2011.[182] House leadership moved the extension bill under suspension of the rules, which is intended for noncontroversial legislation and requires two-thirds majority to pass.[182] After the vote, the extension bill did not pass; 277 members voted in favor, which was less than the 290 votes needed to pass the bill under suspension of the rules.[182] Without an extension, the Act was set to expire on February 28, 2011. However, it eventually passed, 275-144.[183] The FISA Sunsets Extension Act of 2011 was signed into law February 25, 2011.

On May 26, 2011, President Barack Obama used an Autopen to sign the PATRIOT Sunsets Extension Act of 2011,[2] a four-year extension of three key provisions in the USA PATRIOT Act while he was in France:[3]roving wiretaps, searches of business records (the "library records provision"), and conducting surveillance of "lone wolves" — individuals suspected of terrorist-related activities not linked to terrorist groups.[4] Republican leaders[184] questioned if the use of the Autopen met the constitutional requirements for signing a bill into law.[185]

Had Mr. "No more illegal wiretaps", kept his word, we wouldn't have this.  Here's Senator Obama's speech:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAQlsS9diBs
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2013, 12:14:31 PM »
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 12:22:01 PM »
The way I see it, when you've been stuck in the fire for almost 5 years, the frying pan starts to look pretty good.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2013, 02:25:04 PM »

Hey, didn't we learn upthread that he really does love us?  It is just the alcohol that makes him do that.  Besides, I am sure we can make him change...
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 02:46:14 PM »
Hey, didn't we learn upthread that he really does love us?  It is just the alcohol that makes him do that.  Besides, I am sure we can make him change...

alanon for you!
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2013, 08:16:43 PM »

Considering Obama is still blaming stuff on the Bush administration 5 years later, that second line is BS.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2013, 08:26:18 PM »
It could have sunset, however:
Had Mr. "No more illegal wiretaps", kept his word, we wouldn't have this.  Here's Senator Obama's speech:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAQlsS9diBs

This. 
While I didn't vote for Senator 1/3 of a term and voted present more than anything else.....
He did make some campaign promises that I wished so much he would have kept.
True transparency.  Lie.
Close gitmo.  Well, not really a lie so much as a he kind of tried and didn't' spend any political capital making it true.
No lobbyist appointments in the cabinet or as advisors.  Lie.
!After hemming and hawing about it forever), he approved a surge in Afghanistan...after promising to end the wars. 
No targeting of Americans.....lol funny *expletive deleted*it there, Mister President.
Wiretapping, etc etc.

He talked a good civil liberties game on the campaign trail.  In the end, he's just another version of his predecessor, except worse.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2013, 09:16:14 PM »
he's just another version of his predecessor, except worse.

True  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2013, 11:50:23 PM »

He talked a good civil liberties game on the campaign trail.  In the end, he's just another version of his predecessor, except worse.

More worse than you might imagine.  Way more worse.

Stay tuned for Trevor Loudon's new book.  My wife has been working as an editor on that book for the last two years or so.  It's full of some really dry material -- nearly six hundred pages of it -- and it's simultaneously one of the most depressing and angering compilations of villainy in our government I've seen in some time.

Big-O isn't just a "bad president," he credibly qualifies as a "Manchurian president" in many ways.

Locks my jaw just to think of it.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2013, 12:21:25 AM »
Big-O isn't just a "bad president," he credibly qualifies as a "Manchurian president" in many ways.

The Occupy the White House president. An occupied White House for an occupied America.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2013, 01:36:05 AM »
More worse than you might imagine.  Way more worse.

Stay tuned for Trevor Loudon's new book.  My wife has been working as an editor on that book for the last two years or so.  It's full of some really dry material -- nearly six hundred pages of it -- and it's simultaneously one of the most depressing and angering compilations of villainy in our government I've seen in some time.

Locks my jaw just to think of it.

Please start a thread on it when the book comes out, I'd love to read it.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2013, 06:23:08 PM »
No. Can't say I miss him...I miss the money my country used to have.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2013, 07:27:29 PM »
No. Can't say I miss him...I miss the money my country used to have.

The money is still there. It's just changed hands a few times.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2013, 02:29:55 AM »
Only thing I miss about the Bush years is a press willing to hold a potus accountable. Of course you also had a bunch of R's supporting massive fed.gov expansion cause the policritters pushing it were R's as well so...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2013, 02:42:35 PM »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2013, 05:45:40 PM »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero