Author Topic: George Zimmerman Trial  (Read 219314 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: George Zimmerman Trial
« Reply #200 on: July 02, 2013, 06:40:38 PM »
As for someone shooting at me from 100+ yards away with a rifle...I'll be proned out behind anything,  praying.  No way I could  score hits that far away with my EDC piece.

Who said that I didn't also have a rifle in the truck?    ;)   :lol:

Anyway, it seems like that it breaks down into two parts:
1) the cautious thing to do regarding personal safety
2) where you have a right to be without incurring "fault" in the event you are attacked and need to defend yourself

As for #2, where do you draw the line?  Did you go out for dinner or a show in a shady part of town while armed  ???  You must have just been out looking to cap some poor black kid trying to make a dishonest living  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #201 on: July 02, 2013, 07:02:44 PM »
This is starting to feel like law school...answer a question and get a variation right back.  ;)

When I was talking about staying with my car, I was saying what I might do if I observed a suspicious person duck behind a building.  Stay with my car and call it in.  If I am doing that, and the suspicious person comes back to confront and/or attacke me, I am in a better tactical position, as I now have cover and a pretty good means of escape.

Tactically, sitting in a parked car is not necessarily better than out walking around. Outside the car, you can hear and see what is around you, and can reach your weapon more easily. The car may offer some resistance to attack, and a means of escape, but there is a trade-off.

Now if you put the car in gear and get out of Dodge, that's another story.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 08:45:55 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #202 on: July 02, 2013, 09:08:45 PM »
Now if you put the car in gear and get out of Dodge, that's another story.
Right, unless you're driving a Dodge, then it can be very dangerous.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #203 on: July 02, 2013, 09:14:30 PM »
mark geragos is no deselby.... but
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jul/2/prosecution-faces-steep-climb-zimmerman-case/

Famous defense attorney Mark Geragos said during a CNN interview Monday night said the case “is close to being over.”

“This prosecution is dead in the water,” he added.

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #204 on: July 02, 2013, 09:29:32 PM »
Who said that I didn't also have a rifle in the truck?    ;)   :lol:

Anyway, it seems like that it breaks down into two parts:
1) the cautious thing to do regarding personal safety
2) where you have a right to be without incurring "fault" in the event you are attacked and need to defend yourself

As for #2, where do you draw the line?  Did you go out for dinner or a show in a shady part of town while armed  ???  You must have just been out looking to cap some poor black kid trying to make a dishonest living  >:D

While where you are could come into play, what you are doing is more important.  Gotta remember, a jury is going to look at things afterbthe fact.  Being in the bad part of town, because you are dropping off food to a soup kitchen is going to look better than following suspicious people in the best part of town.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #205 on: July 02, 2013, 10:20:02 PM »
I am too tired for much commentary.  The most interesting deal was BDLR tearing into the lead investigator Serino and getting the judge to disallow some of his testimony.  Kinda like what Chris wrote about above.  Very much a "WTH?" deal.

Also learned that under pressure, Serino was willing to go as far as a manslaughter charge vs GZ, but not back a 2nd degree murder charge.  For that, he was demoted from detective and put back on patrol.  Gotta like that.  I say that both completely straight and with sarcasm.  Straight in that we have a LEO who is not willing to back charging someone with a crime he doesn't think they committed.  Sarcastically in that he was punished for not drinking the race-baiting political kool-aid.

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/07/zimmerman-update-exclusive-mid-day-7-serino-more-ambivalent-osterman-supports-self-defense/
Zimmerman Update Exclusive — Mid-Day 7 — Serino more ambivalent, Osterman supports self-defense

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/07/zimmerman-trial-day-7-wrap-up-prosecution-recovers-a-little-prepared-to-introduce-college-records-2/
Zimmerman Trial Day 7 Wrap Up: Prosecution recovers a little, prepared to introduce college records

I await GZ's college transcript with bated breath.  I am sure it holds the key to the prosecution's case.  Well, they can't be as adverse as many of their witnesses have been.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #206 on: July 03, 2013, 11:00:32 AM »
O'Mara also asked [Detective] Serino, "Did you think there was anything wrong with Mr. Zimmerman following Trayvon Martin?"

Serino replied, "Legally speaking, no."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/03/zimmerman-school-records-at-issue-in-wednesday-hearing/#ixzz2Xzk7Rr3c
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #207 on: July 03, 2013, 01:37:07 PM »
I am trying to figure out how college transcripts will have any bearing on this case and failing.  Any ideas?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #208 on: July 03, 2013, 01:44:55 PM »
I am trying to figure out how college transcripts will have any bearing on this case and failing.  Any ideas?
I think prosecution wants to paint him out as a wannabe cop on a power trip.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #209 on: July 03, 2013, 02:05:41 PM »
If Zimmerman's school records are admissible, how about Martin's . . . including the fact that at the time of his encounter with Zimmerman, he was on suspension from school on a drug offense?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #210 on: July 03, 2013, 02:21:32 PM »
  ^
   Racist!

I think they want to show that GZ was a legal eagle who knew all about FLs self defense laws either to show he knew he was in the wrong, or to paint a picture of a cop pretender.

Ok, maybe he took pertinent classes at CC. If I ever let CC make me an expert on anything, especially law that'll be a sad day.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #211 on: July 03, 2013, 04:25:07 PM »
 ^
   Racist!

I think they want to show that GZ was a legal eagle who knew all about FLs self defense laws either to show he knew he was in the wrong, or to paint a picture of a cop pretender.

Ok, maybe he took pertinent classes at CC. If I ever let CC make me an expert on anything, especially law that'll be a sad day.

I think that they want to convict him of using that "not breaking the law" loophole  ;/

Prosecutors want to show that Zimmerman aspired to be a police officer and knew about Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law, which says there is no duty to retreat if one is confronted with potentially lethal force. Prosecutors now plan to introduce evidence about a college criminal justice course the defendant took that included course work on Florida's self-defense law. The testimony appears aimed at bolstering the state's claim he acted more aggressively than a civilian watch volunteer ought to.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/03/zimmerman-school-records-at-issue-in-wednesday-hearing/#ixzz2Y1961556

Ignorance of the law is no excuse, and knowledge of the law is proof that you are a criminal  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 04:46:04 PM by Tallpine »

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #212 on: July 03, 2013, 04:49:31 PM »

Ignorance of the law is no excuse, and knowledge of the law is proof that you are a criminal  :facepalm:
[/quote]
Ain't it grand?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #213 on: July 03, 2013, 05:32:21 PM »
I don't understand what knowing or not knowing about the SYG law has to do with anything.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #214 on: July 03, 2013, 06:08:49 PM »
A thought crossed my mind... many times judges will start to make evidentiary rulings in favor of the side that is going to lose to minimize appellate issues.  Might explain why the judge is ruling in favor of the prosecution on issues that make no sense to me,like this school history crap.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #215 on: July 03, 2013, 06:47:45 PM »
Watching Foxnews this afternoon they floated the theory that it was to discredit Zimmerman and paint him as a wannabe cop. Supposedly said he wasn't familiar with Florida's SYG laws during an interview with Hannity, while the professor said it was discussed often and Zimmerman was a participant in them.

Weak sauce, IMO.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #216 on: July 03, 2013, 07:22:41 PM »
A thought crossed my mind... many times judges will start to make evidentiary rulings in favor of the side that is going to lose to minimize appellate issues.  Might explain why the judge is ruling in favor of the prosecution on issues that make no sense to me,like this school history crap.

Well, that may be the way it looks after being sliced with Ockham's Butterknife.

Ockham's Razor would say that the judge is acting like all the other state gov't officials and looking to put GZ behind bars, by hook or by crook.  They have their orders and know who has the power and who makes lucrative gov't appointments.  They need their Great White Defendant.  No matter if he isn't white.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #217 on: July 03, 2013, 08:51:12 PM »
The school records thing doesn't look like much of a play by the prosecution either.

One of his instructors, now a JAG, said "Hi George" to him with a smile when asked if his student (described as excellent and earning an A) was in the classroom and proceeded to once more make the prosecution look idiotic by going through the details of what constitutes legitimate self-defense, and that "degree of injury" isn't relevant, indeed that the whole concept is to react to the threat to -prevent- serious injury. Which undermine's the prosecutions "he over-reacted" to the beating angle.

The DNA was, as expected, a non-player due to the rain and lack of collection (due to the lack of evidence it wasn't self-defense).

So the prosecution is down to Trayvon's mother as a weeping witness, then they rest.  It looks like they aren't going to call the actual medical examiner who did the actual autopsy on Trayvon?  They called an assistant who wasn't involved in the initial case to give her opinion about photographs but like the rest of the prosecution witnesses didn't deliver anything meaningfully conclusive.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #218 on: July 03, 2013, 09:42:57 PM »
I'm actually starting to wonder if the prosecutor was told from on high that there WILL be a murder trial but his heart's not really in it.  Maybe not intentionally throwing it, but definitely not killing himself either. 

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #219 on: July 03, 2013, 10:19:17 PM »
I'm actually starting to wonder if the prosecutor was told from on high that there WILL be a murder trial but his heart's not really in it.  Maybe not intentionally throwing it, but definitely not killing himself either. 

I think they're just using the trial as a very expensive CYA. They know they have a weak case at best, which was why they declined to charge in the first place. Then the media circus got going so they needed to do something to take the heat off and a trial is the obvious solution. If GZ is convicted the spotlight moves on to other things and if he's acquitted they can say they had a trial so it's not racism on their part.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #220 on: July 03, 2013, 11:37:11 PM »
"degree of injury" isn't relevant, indeed that the whole concept is to react to the threat to -prevent- serious injury.

Yes, thank you. Of course his wounds weren't that serious. 'Cause he shot the other guy. Duh.

I think they're just using the trial as a very expensive CYA. They know they have a weak case at best, which was why they declined to charge in the first place. Then the media circus got going so they needed to do something to take the heat off and a trial is the obvious solution. If GZ is convicted the spotlight moves on to other things and if he's acquitted they can say they had a trial so it's not racism on their part.

Oh yeah.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: George Zimmerman Trial
« Reply #221 on: July 04, 2013, 05:53:25 AM »
A minor Correction the medical examiner was not even from that area she hired gun from the area with the prosecutor came from. And she has a very checkered past she lost her job for cause only has her job  now as a political appointment

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #222 on: July 04, 2013, 10:47:56 AM »

I'm wondering if they'll allow Martin's school records....in order to show Martin as a wannabe gangsta.....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #223 on: July 04, 2013, 11:22:43 AM »

But the prosecution *can't* appeal.  (that double jeopardy thing)
"It's good, though..."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #224 on: July 04, 2013, 11:41:53 AM »
^^^  Yeah, this is not Italy.