Author Topic: George Zimmerman Trial  (Read 219316 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: George Zimmerman Trial
« Reply #300 on: July 11, 2013, 11:13:55 PM »
Can a prosecutor LIE about testimony in his closing arguments?

The prosecutor told the jury that Zimmerman said to a witness the night of the incident that he'd KILLED someone. He said this was proof that Zimmerman lied when he later told an officer he didn't know Martin was dead.

The actual sworn, in-court testimony of the witness was that Zimmerman said he'd SHOT someone. (Greta on Fox showed clips of both the prosecutor's statement and the witness's sworn, in-court testimony.) This isn't a matter of opinion, this is a matter of FACT.

So . . . can a prosecutor LIE about evidence and sworn testimony in court and get away with it?

And can Zimmerman's defense team effectively use prosecutorial dishonesty to impeach the prosecutor's credibility in front of the jury?

IANAL, but it seems to me effective defense attorneys could use this to pretty thoroughly destroy the prosecution's credibility.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #301 on: July 11, 2013, 11:22:23 PM »
So . . . can a prosecutor LIE about evidence and sworn testimony in court and get away with it?

If the prosecutor and the judge are in cahoots, he can get away with anything.

Someone said the prosecution gets the final closing statement to the jury.  Are you sure about that?  How does that not violate the Confrontation Clause of the 6th Amendment?
"It's good, though..."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #302 on: July 12, 2013, 12:18:41 AM »
Apparently they are charging him with child abuse? After the trial?

What the effing effity eff??

EDIT: The State has brought it to the judge, it hasn't happened yet. She said she'll rule on it "later"

my previous remarks stand.

As noted, she ruled against it. (As is appropriate)

However, the DELAY in her ruling is suspicious, as if she took time to call around or consult (DOJ?) to see if there was any way she could rule in favor of it and have it stand.  [tinfoil]
I promise not to duck.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #303 on: July 12, 2013, 08:06:24 AM »
As noted, she ruled against it. (As is appropriate)

However, the DELAY in her ruling is suspicious, as if she took time to call around or consult (DOJ?) to see if there was any way she could rule in favor of it and have it stand.  [tinfoil]

^^^^^This.

She probably talked with a few appeals court judges who told her that they would overturn that conviction PDQ. She may end up throwing the prosecutor under the bus, but she won't take a chance of joining him there.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: George Zimmerman Trial
« Reply #304 on: July 12, 2013, 09:02:27 AM »
^^^^^This.

She probably talked with a few appeals court judges who told her that they would overturn that conviction PDQ. She may end up throwing the prosecutor under the bus, but she won't take a chance of joining him there.
you have a great imagination

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #305 on: July 12, 2013, 09:50:55 AM »
An attorney has two options ifbthe other side lie during closing arguments.  You can object.  Or you wait yournturn and point thenlie out in your close.  Final option is to report the lie to the lawyer discipline office, as it is unethical.  Ask Nancy Grace.  I think it's one of the things she got tagged for.

Closing works like this...state goes first, defense goes, then the state gets rebuttal  opportunity.  It's not a 6th Amendment issue because it does not count as evidence.  It's summary of the evidence.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #306 on: July 12, 2013, 10:22:43 AM »

Closing works like this...state goes first, defense goes, then the state gets rebuttal  opportunity.  It's not a 6th Amendment issue because it does not count as evidence.  It's summary of the evidence.

It is if the prosecutor presents new evidence to the jury (his lie) in the final statement.
"It's good, though..."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #308 on: July 12, 2013, 03:48:32 PM »
Best quote:

Zimmerman didn't get to be the president's imaginary son.  Wrong color.  Zimmerman got to be the enemy.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #309 on: July 12, 2013, 07:42:02 PM »
Win or lose, I guess every time an Identity is killed by someone of a lesser identity, the case will now go before a grand jury, regardless of the actual circumstances.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #310 on: July 12, 2013, 09:37:23 PM »
Glad the jury is still deliberating- made it home from work without being Reginald Denny'd.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: George Zimmerman Trial
« Reply #311 on: July 12, 2013, 10:42:33 PM »
I was hoping it would come back quickly to avoid giving the race baiters a weekend to prepare.

Tapatalk isn't getting free advertising from me!.... Doh! >.<
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #312 on: July 12, 2013, 11:17:44 PM »
Are Florida courts open on Saturday?  Some of them are here.

What is >.<?  Not familiar with that one.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #313 on: July 12, 2013, 11:23:43 PM »

Squinty / annoyed face
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #314 on: July 12, 2013, 11:24:15 PM »
Deliberation will continue tomorrow. As I sit in Portsmouth, VA for the weekend...
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #315 on: July 13, 2013, 12:33:03 AM »
Ahhh, the CSI effect.   People watch too many cop shows (especially CSI:wherever) and think that SCIENCE!!! has the answers to every crime.

Well, it might, if you had scientists doing the initial investigation.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #316 on: July 13, 2013, 01:07:12 AM »
Wonder if NBC will lighten her photos?

Funny you should mention that; comparing stills from CBS and CNN, it looks like CNN's color balance was off, making her lighter and a bit green.  Other shots of other people from CNN don't seem to have the same issue.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #317 on: July 13, 2013, 08:23:21 AM »

I've always considered it as a wince.

Tapatalk isn't getting free advertising from me!.... Doh! >.<
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #318 on: July 13, 2013, 08:51:45 AM »

The judge seems to want this over asap, so the jury will be in today. Also Sunday if they don't get it done today as I understand it.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #319 on: July 13, 2013, 11:26:47 AM »
Glad the jury is still deliberating- made it home from work without being Reginald Denny'd.

If it were me I'd have had Damian Williams for a hood ornament.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #320 on: July 13, 2013, 07:26:35 PM »
The jurors are asking for a clarification on manslaughter. Sounds like the verdict might be "compromise" instead of guilty or innocent.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #321 on: July 13, 2013, 08:06:11 PM »
edit: wrong thread.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #322 on: July 13, 2013, 08:35:47 PM »
The jurors are asking for a clarification on manslaughter. Sounds like the verdict might be "compromise" instead of guilty or innocent.

Saw that elsewhere.... NOT looking good for GZ.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #323 on: July 13, 2013, 08:56:01 PM »
not so
 that means they are down to that. they have rejected greater charges

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #324 on: July 13, 2013, 09:03:58 PM »
not so
 that means they are down to that. they have rejected greater charges

A manslaughter conviction is not exactly ice cream and cookies for Mr. Z.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife