Author Topic: George Zimmerman Trial  (Read 219247 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: George Zimmerman Trial
« Reply #375 on: July 15, 2013, 12:11:25 AM »
If DOJ intervenes and files some civil rights action, the precedent is dangerous, as they will be put in a position of having to explain why they didn't filenthe same action in the next homicide. And the one after that. And the next one...  Holder is a fool, but I hope even a fool sees the danger in this action...

I thought that only a .gov entity could violate your civil rights?  That's why there was Rodney King civil rights trial.  They were police officers.  Since the state/local came back with the wrong verdict the Feds had to file Civil Rights charges to get the right verdict.   Same thing here.  But Chris is correct.  If the do file Civil Rights, this will set a very, very, very bad precedent. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #376 on: July 15, 2013, 12:14:39 AM »
Interesting how?

He was a wanna-be cop remember, he should have had a cop gun.

;)
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #377 on: July 15, 2013, 12:22:26 AM »
I thought that only a .gov entity could violate your civil rights?  That's why there was Rodney King civil rights trial.  They were police officers.  Since the state/local came back with the wrong verdict the Feds had to file Civil Rights charges to get the right verdict.   Same thing here.  But Chris is correct.  If the do file Civil Rights, this will set a very, very, very bad precedent. 

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/14/3500052/federal-case-against-zimmerman.html
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #378 on: July 15, 2013, 02:18:12 AM »
One.

Any documentation on the state of the chamber/slide/extraction when the weapon was surrendered to the police?

Reason I'm curious is as a PF-9 owner, in what appears to have been a very close contact self defense usage.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #379 on: July 15, 2013, 03:19:15 AM »
Any documentation on the state of the chamber/slide/extraction when the weapon was surrendered to the police?

Reason I'm curious is as a PF-9 owner, in what appears to have been a very close contact self defense usage.

Touching fabric, about 4" away from his skin. Single round fired ejected and next round loaded. Zimmerman holstered prior to the police arriving. Operated perfectly.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #380 on: July 15, 2013, 07:50:56 AM »
What are the odds they try and sue Kel-Tec out of business?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #381 on: July 15, 2013, 08:40:32 AM »
One article I read referred to the gun as a "Kel Tec-9"  ;/
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #382 on: July 15, 2013, 08:46:19 AM »
Touching fabric, about 4" away from his skin. Single round fired ejected and next round loaded. Zimmerman holstered prior to the police arriving. Operated perfectly.

This. The PF functioned perfectly.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #383 on: July 15, 2013, 09:07:04 AM »

Small company, not tons of money to fight, odds good. What will the argument be though? There is no "the gun just went off" issue here, no .500 Linebaugh unusually cruel caliber made for people who hate hoodies. Maybe they will try the you made a gun cheap enough for a neighborhood watchmn to buy angle.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #384 on: July 15, 2013, 09:23:04 AM »
Has the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms act been overturned?
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-109s397enr/pdf/BILLS-109s397enr.pdf

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #385 on: July 15, 2013, 11:44:36 AM »
So who won the riot pool?
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #386 on: July 15, 2013, 02:00:10 PM »
So who won the riot pool?
More demonstrations on Saturday. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #387 on: July 15, 2013, 02:40:38 PM »
Small company, not tons of money to fight, odds good. What will the argument be though? There is no "the gun just went off" issue here

"functions as designed"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #388 on: July 15, 2013, 02:56:04 PM »
I just saw Holder announced a confirmation on the civil rights probe for the "unnecessary" shooting of Martin. Because I guess when you're getting your head bashed in and your skin is lighter than the head basher's, it's "unnecessary" for you to do anything about it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #389 on: July 15, 2013, 03:02:36 PM »
I just saw Holder announced a confirmation on the civil rights probe for the "unnecessary" shooting of Martin. Because I guess when you're getting your head bashed in and your skin is lighter than the head basher's, it's "unnecessary" for you to do anything about it.

FBI thinks otherwise.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2012/07/12/155918/more-evidence-released-in-trayvon.html#.UeRHc7Eo5aR
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #390 on: July 15, 2013, 03:04:03 PM »

Some animals are more pigmented than others.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #391 on: July 15, 2013, 04:02:03 PM »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #392 on: July 15, 2013, 04:18:31 PM »
Am I the only one in the US who thinks that here and now, in 2013, race is absolutely irrelevant to pretty much anything, and therefore why is anyone talking about it?  It's odd.  Was all this race talk all over the place back in say 2000-2008 and I just missed it?  Seems like race was something people didn't really talk much about, then ZMOG!  It's everywhere.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #393 on: July 15, 2013, 04:20:59 PM »
Am I the only one in the US who thinks that here and now, in 2013, race is absolutely irrelevant to pretty much anything, and therefore why is anyone talking about it?  It's odd.  Was all this race talk all over the place back in say 2000-2008 and I just missed it?  Seems like race was something people didn't really talk much about, then ZMOG!  It's everywhere.

Obama has seriously set back race relations. At every opportunity, he has chosen divisiveness rather than reconciliation.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #394 on: July 15, 2013, 04:22:50 PM »
FBI thinks otherwise.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2012/07/12/155918/more-evidence-released-in-trayvon.html#.UeRHc7Eo5aR

That was mentioned in the Holder article I read. They are going to have to do some serious tapdancing to get around the previous FBI conclusion, but then they have the MSM to help them with that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #395 on: July 15, 2013, 04:37:43 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2364493/NAACP-convention-held-just-miles-site-George-Zimmerman-trial-unofficial-Justice-For-Trayvon-rally.html

Modern Day Lynching.
[/size]

No, it's not.

West:  A lynching is what happens when the posse captures the outrageously offensive criminal who ran away after committing his act.
South: A lynching is what happens when the spook hats get put on and the latest uppity knee-grow is abducted from his home and hung out in the swamp.

The jury decided in this case, that Martin was the criminal.  And Z was the victim.  Z avoided Martin's lethal attack by employing lethal force of his own, making it justified homicide.  This is what the jury said.

Even if we invert the sentence and consider Z the criminal and Martin the victim (contrary to the verdict), it's still not a lynching.  Martin was killed in a violent altercation he willingly engaged in, as evidenced by the bullet in the front of his body (not in the back). 

Regardless of western or southern inflection, a lynching needs a rope, a mob or posse, and a captured lynchee.  Didn't have any of those.

This is race-baiting on the highest level.  At what point does the "Uncle Tom" vernacular start coming out to augment the lynching vernacular?  Maybe some Negro Jim talk, too.  I'm sure someone, somewhere, has a Sambo doll to throw into the mix. ;/
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #396 on: July 15, 2013, 04:43:48 PM »
Quote from: AZRedhawk44

This is race-baiting on the highest level.  At what point does the "Uncle Tom" vernacular start coming out to augment the lynching vernacular?  Maybe some Negro Jim talk, too.  I'm sure someone, somewhere, has a Sambo doll to throw into the mix. ;/

I thought Little Black Sambo was Indian ???
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #397 on: July 15, 2013, 04:57:09 PM »

Please don't speak factually. That's racist.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #398 on: July 15, 2013, 05:06:29 PM »

In the book he comes from South India and has to deal with four hungry tigers.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #399 on: July 15, 2013, 05:07:34 PM »

But what about the poor racist tigers?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams