Author Topic: ThatThin Blue line?  (Read 2435 times)

brimic

• friends
ThatThin Blue line?
« on: June 26, 2013, 05:16:47 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/your-views-b9941179z1-213047191.html

This is regarding the article, "Ex-officer gets 26-month term for strip searches" (June 23).

Many may be elated, saying the officer was a dirty, crooked cop and got what he deserved. However, I just can't put Michael Vagnini in the same category of police officers who never took their oaths seriously. These officers had stolen, sold drugs or committed sexual assaults for their sexual gratification and never really cared about getting the bad guys off the streets. I'm aware of both types of these officers from my 30 years in law enforcement.

Do some officers push the envelope in their attempts to obtain evidence, make arrests and ultimately clear offenses? Yes, some do. Unlike the officer who purely commits a criminal act for his personal benefit, there are officers who believe their improper actions are just borderline violations or, in Vagnini's case, illegal conduct that is really for the best interest of the community at large. These officers also trust that their aggressive activity is truly sanctioned by upper management because of no negative feedback.

I believe that Vagnini was in fact one of the majority of the dedicated officers, the 99.9% who unselfishly work the holidays, go to court on their off days and continued to do what they swore to do, protect and serve.

Evidence of Vagnini's dedication and work ethic would have been his assignment to the district's gang unit. There were two prior complaints in addition to widespread rumors throughout the department about his conduct, yet he remained on the gang unit. I can't help but wonder what his personnel evaluations were reflecting during this period.

Vagnini did let the public down; however, it's also obvious that the Milwaukee Police Department let Vagnini down.

Ted Engelbart
Hustisford

What this police officer was convicted of:
http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/ex-milwaukee-officer-gets-26-months-in-prison-for-strip-cavity-searches-b9938948z1-212486141.html

"A former Milwaukee police officer who performed illegal strip and body cavity searches on dozens of drug suspects was sentenced Friday to 26 months in prison and an additional 34 months of extended supervision.

Michael Vagnini, 34, pleaded no contest in April to four felonies and four misdemeanors stemming from his practice but avoided conviction for sexual assault charges, which were dismissed.

Prosecutors and the judge said Vagnini's actions shocked the conscience of the community, but his own lawyer said the whole system was to blame for encouraging and rewarding Vagnini's aggressive tactics, which he said were no secret within the department and the court system."
"Assigned to District 5, Vagnini regularly pulled over drivers on a pretense of not wearing a seatbelt or of having darkly tinted windows and searched them without a legal reason, according to prosecutors.

Vagnini conducted searches of men's anal and scrotal areas, often inserting his fingers into their rectums, according to the criminal complaint. Vagnini acknowledged performing one of the searches, and at least one suspect said Vagnini planted drugs on him."
"The searches occurred on the street and in district stations over a period of two years."
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
Re: ThatThin Blue line?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 05:19:42 PM »
So this piece of extruded excrement not only supports a cop convicted of hand-raping people during traffic stops, but has been aware or scumbags in uniform for 30 years as a LEO and has done nothing about them?
 ;/ [barf]
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

griz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 05:42:58 PM »
there are officers who believe their improper actions are just borderline violations or, in Vagnini's case, illegal conduct that is really for the best interest of the community at large

So pulling somebody over for no real reason and strip searching them is just pushing the envelope in the best interest of the community?  Anybody who actually believes that should not be an officer in my opinion.  It's not a big step from there to planting evidence "in the best interest of the community".  If the police don't think they need to obey the law it's a police state.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 05:50:02 PM »
Vagnini = Vick Mackie.

Totally unsympathetic here.

As long as he ACTUALLY SERVES 26 months in prison, I even think it's a perfect sentence for the crime.  Hopefully it's not one of those "3 months in a minsec facility and then released on parole for 2 years" situations.

I would like to see followup charges of abuse of authority under color of law, though.  Need more of those prosecutions, as well as violation of oath of office for Feds.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 07:35:45 PM »
I bet a lot more people knew about it than are being held responsible, and that is a shame.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 10:38:24 AM »
As long as he ACTUALLY SERVES 26 months in prison, I even think it's a perfect sentence for the crime. 
Cavity searches for traffic stops? He ought to be on the sex offender registry after he's released from prison!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 10:45:42 AM »
Cavity searches for traffic stops? He ought to be on the sex offender registry after he's released from prison!

Agreed.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 10:54:52 AM »
Yeah.  Alongside every TSA agent ever.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 11:11:49 AM »

Wonder how many were minors.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 11:25:47 AM »
I'm usually not one for cop bashing

But in this case, i think the bashing is warranted.

A cavity search for a traffic stop is a gross abuse of power.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog