Author Topic: School me good - The Essential American Gourmet  (Read 6186 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
School me good - The Essential American Gourmet
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2005, 09:15:18 AM »
Micro - what is the essential Israeli eating experience?
Humus - comes ready-made as a sort of paste.
Thina - Same.
Falafel - I have no idea how to make some, but perhaps you could google it?

And I have updated the e-mail address.

microbalrog@gmail.com for your convenience!
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Sean Smith

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2005, 05:55:48 AM »
Is curry not big in the US?
Practically non-existent, actually.  I mean, you can find some Thai or Indian places in most cities that have curry dishes, but they are not common by any stretch.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2005, 08:32:44 AM »
Right, I'll pass on a bastardised British curry recipe (from the Naked Chef) that is actually pretty good. Artery-clogging too.

Here it is (via the BBC, odd that they have it)

Ingredients
5 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
3 fresh green chillies, deseeded and thinly sliced
1 handful curry leaves
2 thumb-sized pieces of fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely grated
3 onions, peeled and chopped
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric
6 tomatoes, chopped
1x400ml/14fl oz tin coconut milk
salt

For the fish version:
4x225g/8oz fresh haddock fillets, skinned and pin-boned
1 knob tamarind paste or 1 tsp tamarind syrup
1 large handful baby spinach (optional)
1 good handful fresh coriander, chopped (optional)

For the chicken version:
4 chicken breasts, sliced into 1cm/ ½ in strips
1 tbsp coriander seeds, crushed

For the vegetarian version:
800g/1¾lb mixed vegetables, chopped (potatoes, courgettes, peppers, onions, sweet potatoes, spinach, chard, cauliflower, lentils, beans - use your imagination)

Method
1. Heat the oil in a pan, and when hot add the mustard seeds. Wait for them to pop, then add the fenugreek seeds, fresh green chillies, curry leaves and ginger, Stir and fry for a few minutes.
2. Using a food processor, chop the onions and add to the same pan. Continue to cook for 5 minutes until the onion is light brown and soft, then add the chilli powder and turmeric.
3. Using the same food processor, pulse the tomatoes and add these to the pan. Cook for a couple of minutes then add one or two wineglasses of water and the coconut milk. Simmer for about 5 minutes until it has the consistency of double cream, then season carefully with salt.
4. Take this sauce as a base.
To make the fish curry, add the fish and tamarind to the sauce and simmer for 6 minutes. Feel free to add some baby spinach and chopped coriander at the end of the cooking time.
5. For the chicken version, stir-fry the chicken strips and coriander seeds until lightly coloured, then add to your sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. For the vegetarian version, simply add all your veg to the sauce at the beginning when you add your onions. Continue to cook as normal and simmer until tender.

It's a real favourite of mine. You can do without the curry leaves if you can't find them, neither could I when I first made the recipe.

The BBC link to Jamie Oliver's recipe is - http://www.bbc.co.uk/apps/ifl/food/showrecord?templatestyle=chef&config=chef&page=1&pagesize=15&Id=Jamie+Oliver
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2005, 08:56:51 AM »
How could we forget haggis?

Oatmeal with heart.

Literally.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sean Smith

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2005, 08:58:14 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
How could we forget haggis?
Because nobody in the U.S. eats it?

Tongue

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2005, 05:51:31 PM »
I agreed with the above posts.

I'll share another "experience" we do.

Here in the South the Strawberries are ready, tomatos soon to follow and all sorts of fresh veggies and fruits. We have farmer's markets. So one goes out to the garden and picks a ripe tomato, dusts it off on their pants legs and eats it right then and there. Something about picking strawberries and then eating them right then and there...we do manage to make it to the house with some not eaten...*grin*

Visits a Farmer's market and takes home watermellon, cantalope, okra, squash , corn...

Not just here in the South...I have been "up north" , say PA, going down a two lane blacktop, see a table on the edge of farm property and that is some GREAT sweet corn...

Meat- well head down the road and pull over at a Mom&Pop gas station. Many have a meat counter, some of the best fresh ham, bacon venison - taken by the owner of said station - is up for sale.  Momma might be attending the cooking, BBQ-ing out back...

Best BLT is the one from such a Gas Station with some Bacon momma just cooked, slice a 'mater from their garden and she made some homemade bread. Sit on your tailgate and have a picnic....This is better than Gourmet to me...

Wildalaska

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2005, 06:56:55 PM »
Sushi with a side of hash browns, a pepsi and vanilla ice cream for desert

WildunisauceAlaska
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2005, 09:07:06 AM »
The basic American tablefare has been and always will be meat and potatoes.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.