Author Topic: Syria- The Great Big Syrian Civil War thread.  (Read 74824 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Syria- The Great Big Syrian Civil War thread.
« on: August 26, 2013, 12:27:40 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/power-players-abc-news/gen-martin-dempsey-assad-momentum-syria-civil-war-105804508.html?vp=1

Dempsey says that Assad can't maintain this momentum.  I disagree.  The political lackeys and incompetents in the Army have either been killed or promoted out.  The Army is now more professional and becoming better trained.  (Yes we saw the Syrian Army's uphill-backwards MOUT operations.  ;/ ;))  But they are learning and pushing the FSA back.  Add in Russian (and other) support and logistics to replace/repair equipment train troops, throw in some selected chemical strikes and the Syrian Army forces the FSA to quit or get pushed into Iraq.   Remember the FSA is not a organized cohesive force.  Lots of tribal and ethnic differences and goals, and then you have the AQ a-holes with their own agenda.   Either way this is far from over.

And either way we need to STFO.

This is telling also:
Asked whether the United States is providing the Syrian rebels with military aid and weapons, Dempsey replied that the “the Department of Defense is not.”  Bolding, mine.

Which means that the CIA, State Dept (see Benghazi), hell, even DHS (via Whack-a-Doodle "Kill Whitey" guy), and the Dept of Commerce, could be shipping (or trans-shipping, see Iran-Contra) to Syria.

Fun, Fun !!!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 12:49:25 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Syria- The great big Syrian civil war thread.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 12:59:12 PM »
Let the secular and non-secular savages kill each other in gross lots.  And let the secular savages ultimately prevail in a weakened state.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 01:11:47 PM »
The more effort they expend killing each other, the less time they have coming over here to gain their 72 virginians.

So, I fully support selling arms to both sides and airing live drone feeds on PPV.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 01:12:48 PM »
Let the secular and non-secular savages kill each other in gross lots.  And let the secular savages ultimately prevail in a weakened state.

This, plus: I'm tired of our enemies (and allies) publicly decrying U.S. intervention, while secretly wanting and expecting it. Let the UN, the Arab League, the EU, and whoever else wants to step into the ring, solve this "problem". We have trash in our own yard that needs cleaning up. We cannot, and should not, be the go to solution for every humanitarian crisis.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 01:31:53 PM »
In other conspiratorial news, a caller to the Michael Hart Radio Show today opined that the stuff happening in Syria is being staged by Russian Spetznaz in order to bring America into war with Russia.
Uh, that's World  War Three, guys.  According to the caller.  
I hope he's wrong.
'Cuz if it's Obama vs. Putin I ain't placin' my bets on anyone whose name begins with "O."
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 01:49:13 PM »
In other conspiratorial news, a caller to the Michael Hart Radio Show today opined that the stuff happening in Syria is being staged by Russian Spetznaz in order to bring America into war with Russia.
Uh, that's World  War Three, guys.  According to the caller.  
I hope he's wrong.
'Cuz if it's Obama vs. Putin I ain't placin' my bets on anyone whose name begins with "O."

Uhm. I call tin foil. Please tell me this is not the Project Gutenberg Michael Hart, he always seemed like an intelligent person.

Russians will sell or give weapons to whomever they wish. Russia doesn't want a war with the US, and neither does the US. Even back during the Cold War, both sides went to great pains to annoy the other via proxies. That is very likely. Russian forces managing to keep themselves incognito? Unlikely, that.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 01:52:52 PM »
Uhm. I call tin foil. Please tell me this is not the Project Gutenberg Michael Hart, he always seemed like an intelligent person.

Russians will sell or give weapons to whomever they wish. Russia doesn't want a war with the US, and neither does the US. Even back during the Cold War, both sides went to great pains to annoy the other via proxies. That is very likely. Russian forces managing to keep themselves incognito? Unlikely, that.

Agreed. Selling Assad weapons and tacitly backstopping him in the Security Council seems to accomplish everything Putin wants. No need for more.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 01:57:06 PM »

I'm not sure who you mean by "Project Gutenberg Michael Hart."   The Michael Hart I am refering to runs a radio talk show from Birmingham, Alabama from 10:06AM through 1:00PM weekdays.  I don't listen to the entire program; he used to be on at 6:00AM and I listened to him a lot more back then but I never heard him mention anything about Gutenberg.
As to the story about Russia being behind Syria, you understand I wasn't endorsing the "conspiracy theory," I was only reporting it.  I hope it isn't true.  I suspect Spetznaz probably are sufficiently competent to keep themselves  covert atleast until American forces are there to pull back the covers.  My reason for disbelieving the story is Russia is in a worse economic condition than we are, and have been there longer.  I highly doubt they are in any way ready for or want a Third World War.
I was merely reporting what I'd heard for entertainment value.
 [popcorn]
Shame on me.  :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 02:45:21 PM »
Russia doesn't want a war with the US, and neither does the US.

I dunno ... sometimes it does seem as if the US is at war with itself ...  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 03:31:52 PM »
Why would the Russians want a war with us, when they already have the White House, half of Congress, and a solid grip on many Federal agencies?  ???
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 04:51:23 PM »
is it bad when john kerry says its "when not if" we intervene :facepalm: :facepalm:
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 04:55:23 PM »
Russians don't want a war with us.  Bad for Business. Selling Assad enough weapons to keep the fighting going.  That's good for business.  A long slow "win" is their best interest.   "See look at Syria, used Russian made weapons and won the Civil War over those that had American supplied weapons*.  Clearly our stuff is better, nyet?"

* not mentioning that "American Supplied Weapons" were Soviet stuff from Libya among others.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 05:10:26 PM »
This is all a smokescreen to distract the US news cycle and population away from NSA, Snowden, Obamacare, Amnesty and the other issues making government unpopular right now.

"I want everyone to remember why they need us!"
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 05:39:58 PM »
Even back during the Cold War, both sides went to great pains to annoy the other via proxies.

Mostly...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 06:22:55 PM »
Obama worries me.   I am afraid the incompetent jackass know-it-all is going to inadvertently push the wrong button so to speak.-and start WWIII.  Syria is nothing to us. But it is a Big Damn Deal to the Russians.
The problem with narcissists is they simply cannot put themselves in another's place, or try to think like the opposition-it is all about them, all the time. 

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 06:33:36 PM »
John *expletive deleted*ing Kerry (he has 3 purple hearts ya know) is really ramping up the rhetoric and beating the war drums.
My money is that Obama is just arrogant enough to at least launch missle strikes.

I hope I'm wrong.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 07:48:46 PM »
This is all a smokescreen to distract the US news cycle and population away from NSA, Snowden, Obamacare, Amnesty and the other issues making government unpopular right now.

"I want everyone to remember why they need us!"

This
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 10:20:38 PM »
If we were to have a civil war here, would we want other countries to intervene?  I wouldn't.  At least no more involvement than regular commerce, buying and selling whatever.

I feel the same about Syria.  It's their war, not ours.  Let them fight it out themselves.  If it works out to be good for us, great.  If not, cross that bridge when it arrives.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 12:05:35 AM »
We shouldn't rush into this.  We need at least 17 or 18 UN resolutions (along with UN and international support and backing), and several years of debate in the Congress before voting to be for the war, and then to vote against it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:02:12 AM by scout26 »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 01:13:32 AM »
If we were to have a civil war here, would we want other countries to intervene?  I wouldn't.  At least no more involvement than regular commerce, buying and selling whatever.

I feel the same about Syria.  It's their war, not ours.  Let them fight it out themselves.  If it works out to be good for us, great.  If not, cross that bridge when it arrives.

Seems to me that around 1776 (or so) certain colonial revolutionaries were moderately happy to have some assistance from the French ... and the Poles ... and ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 11:15:28 AM »
I wouldn't want other countries intervening here either, but largely only for the reason that just about every country that would intervene would support the "other" side.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 11:36:22 AM »

Has anyone proven that the Syrian government actually did use chemical weapons?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 01:15:42 PM »
Has anyone proven that the Syrian government actually did use chemical weapons?

What difference, at this point, does it make?