Author Topic: Shooting at the DC Navy Yard - 12 shot, 4 of them dead  (Read 34083 times)

Azrael256

• friend
Re: Shooting at the DC Navy Yard - 12 shot, 4 of them dead
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 04:44:33 PM »
Anyone catch that CBS and NBC had to do some fast retractions today when they gave the wrong name for the shooter?

They did?  I just assumed it was Richard Jewell.

So is it one perpetrator or three now?  I can't keep up.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2013, 04:54:40 PM »
Two black men.  One that I linked the photo to, and one older, in his 40's or 50's, with grey sideburns.

Shades of the beltway snipers?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2013, 04:55:51 PM »
To be fair, this is at a naval yard.  .Mil base.  There are armed MP's or whatever equivalent the Navy has, but it isn't a school, airport or mall as is typical of these things.

Whatever military or private (contractor) security they have, it wasn't enough. DC Police responded.

Base security at Fort Hood was civilian police. Dunno just what MPs/ShorePatrol do in regard to base security at U.S. bases these days.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2013, 04:58:43 PM »
All of which means when the balloon goes up you are on your own until someone telegraphs to Ft. Apache, Rin Tin Tin and the cavalry saddles up, and they get there - but unlike the movies/TV, not in the nick of time.

As long as they don't send F Troop ...

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 05:02:03 PM »
As long as they don't send F Troop ...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/16/active-shooter-at-washington-navy-yard/

"More than 20 members of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) responded to the scene, including the same Special Response Team that extracted the alleged Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev from the boat where he barricaded himself following the April 15 attack."

Realize you were likely referencing the comedy cavalry. Just found the coincidence interesting.

"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2013, 05:07:08 PM »
Realize you were likely referencing the comedy cavalry. Just found the coincidence interesting.

Yeah, I was referring to the old television show. I forgot so many of you are probably not old enough to even catch the reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_Troop

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 05:08:28 PM »
Mr. Alexis was on active duty with the Navy from 2007 to 2011 and left the service as a PO3 aviation electrician, according to the NYT.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 05:24:37 PM »
If Obama had a son?

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/09/aaron-alexis-navy-yard-shooter.html

Would anybody like to explain how he morphed from his 2011 picture to his 9/16/2013 picture?

Heck, they just lightened Treyvon's face a bit, but at least kept the same basic shape, the same mouth,, the same eyes, the same .....

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 05:33:40 PM »
Would anybody like to explain how he morphed from his 2011 picture to his 9/16/2013 picture?

Heck, they just lightened Treyvon's face a bit, but at least kept the same basic shape, the same mouth,, the same eyes, the same .....

stay safe.

Interesting.  I had javascript disabled and didn't get the FBI bulletin you're mentioning.

Very different faces.

Part of it could be flash intensity and background color... but there's facial fat and structural differences in the cheekbones.  More definition in the brow.

It still seems to be the same guy... I can sort of mentally transpose one pic on top of the other and they match in the right places, but the pics are so radically different in spite of that.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »

stay safe.

Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2013, 06:01:08 PM »
Ironic, is it not, how the most reliable gun-free zones are military installations.  I am sure others have made the same connection.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2013, 06:03:56 PM »
So, any good intel on what sort of firearm the perp used?  Just wonder what will be on the top of "must ban" list.  Just in case it's not the AR-15 platform.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2013, 06:05:13 PM »
Interesting.  I had javascript disabled and didn't get the FBI bulletin you're mentioning.

Very different faces.

Part of it could be flash intensity and background color... but there's facial fat and structural differences in the cheekbones.  More definition in the brow.

Flash intensity is vastly different.  Brighter flash washes out a lot of depth and makes the face flatter.  It also looks like the aspect ratios are different.  Imagine watching regular TV on a HD set and then look again.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2013, 06:15:47 PM »
So, any good intel on what sort of firearm the perp used?  Just wonder what will be on the top of "must ban" list.  Just in case it's not the AR-15 platform.

Nooz is reporting AR15 and handgun of some sort.

This whole thing is odd.  How many black mass shooting perpetrators have there been in the last couple decades?  Probably count that on one hand.  Doesn't fit the bill. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2013, 06:16:29 PM »
OH, and whichever mod moved this to RT....I'm moving it back to Politics.   :-*
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2013, 06:30:50 PM »
OH, and whichever mod moved this to RT....I'm moving it back to Politics.   :-*
MOD FIGHT!!!!!!!!

[popcorn]
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2013, 06:30:59 PM »

This whole thing is odd.  How many black mass shooting perpetrators have there been in the last couple decades?  Probably count that on one hand.  Doesn't fit the bill. 

Black = 13% of the population... so they can be a minority in mass shootings, too.  They "should" commit about 1/8th of them.  Wasn't Ft. Hood guy black also?  Then there's the beltway guys.

As long as you can count all mass shootings in the last couple decades on your fingers and toes, fitting the black ones on one hand fits the strict demographic ratios.  Now, including gangland mass shootings will skew that crime stat more towards blacks having more mass shootings, but it depends on if your targets in the mass shootings are middle class working folks, kids in schools, or people living in chicago ghettos.
--Lysander Spooner

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2013, 07:08:23 PM »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2013, 07:09:02 PM »
To be fair, this is at a naval yard.  .Mil base.  There are armed MP's or whatever equivalent the Navy has, but it isn't a school, airport or mall as is typical of these things.

Ya mean like Ft. Hood?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

geronimotwo

• friend
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2013, 07:26:28 PM »
MOD FIGHT!!!!!!!!

[popcorn]

(I didn't post that out-loud did I?)
"It's good, though..."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2013, 08:03:41 PM »

Black perps account for roughly 2x as many mass and/or serial slayings as their population would indicate.  A much smaller proportion relative to the run of the mill murders, where the ratio is much higher.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2013, 08:16:03 PM »
The good news is that given the race of the perp, this will drop off the radar pretty quick.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2013, 08:47:39 PM »

Wonder if he knew that AR was illegal to carry in DC?  Handgun carry permit???  Oh, we're talking about criminals.....
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2013, 08:58:05 PM »
Has the media found a way to blame it on white, conservative right wingers yet?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams