Author Topic: The Danziger Bridge cops are gonna get off afterall  (Read 2223 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: The Danziger Bridge cops are gonna get off afterall
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 01:16:21 PM »
That's effing ridiculous.

I'll say no more.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 03:24:01 PM »
Federal judge cut 'em loose:  http://images.bimedia.net/documents/91713+danziger+ruling.pdf

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57603296-504083/danziger-bridge-shootings-update-judge-overturns-convictions-grants-new-trial-to-ex-nola-officers/

It's cases like this where the prosecutors should join the cops in going to jail.  For a very, very, very long time.  Then crap like this won't happen. 

Pour encourager les autres.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 07:56:22 PM »
The U.S. District judge ruled Tuesday that prosecutors' "highly unusual, extensive and truly bizarre actions" warrant throwing out the convictions of Archie Kaufman, Kenneth Bowen, Robert Gisevius, Robert Faulcon and Anthony Villavaso.
Attorneys for the former officers say a series of leaks to news organizations were part of a "secret public relations campaign" that deprived their clients of a fair trial. The former officers' attorneys also cited a series of anonymous online posts by senior prosecutors. Former U.S. Attorney Jim Letten resigned in December 2012 after two of his top deputies acknowledged they had been posting anonymous comments on nola.com, the Times-Picayune's companion website, about cases their office had handled, including the Danziger Bridge investigation.
In his opinion, Judge Kurt Englehardt, who heard the case originally, wrote: "This case started as one featuring allegations of brazen abuse of authority, violation of law and corruption of the criminal justice system; unfortunately, though the focus has switched from the accused to the accusers, it has continued to be about those very issues. After much reflection, the Court cannot journey as far as it has in this case only to ironically accept grotesque prosecutorial misconduct in the end."

During a hearing in June 2012, Engelhardt said it appeared federal prosecutors didn't conduct a "full-blown investigation" after The Associated Press and The Times-Picayune published articles about former New Orleans police officer Michael Lohman's guilty plea while his case was under seal. Lohman pleaded guilty to participating in a cover-up of the shootings.

Let us stipulate that all of the above is true.

Retry the defendants without the hoopla and shenanagans.  If the allegations are true they will be found guilty again.

Procedurally, I did not see (might have missed it - if so, someone point me to it please) where the fefense entered any objections to the behavior alleged during the trial.  While I understand that The Rules allow for motions such as were filed without objections being made during the trial, I am very uncomfortable with that being the way things work.  In cases where knowlege of the behavior could not have been discovered during the trial, and thus objected to, I will allow an exception.  But in this case they had the chance to object and I cannot find anything showing that they did so.  That makes the trial court merely step #1 of a multi-step procedure to arriving at an original ruling.  In my civics classes they taught me that was not the way things were done.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 08:16:27 PM »
In my civics classes they taught me that was not the way things were done.

Did your civics class have any discussion on the obscene buttload of money the lawyers will make during these tyes of shenanigans?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 06:08:42 AM »
Did your civics class have any discussion on the obscene buttload of money the lawyers will make during these tyes of shenanigans?

As a matter of fact it did.  Most of what it had to say was not very nice.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: The Danziger Bridge cops are gonna get off afterall
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 09:14:39 AM »
Interesting twist is the one cop plead guilty to the cover up and he gets a new trial also. I do see the judges point though

damn phone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Levant

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 07:58:42 PM »
Is there any surprise?  You all got your hopes up when they were convicted.  Never count out a bad cop until he actually reports to prison - and even then you can't be certain.
NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party