Author Topic: germany and the gold  (Read 7457 times)

zahc

• friend
germany and the gold
« on: January 09, 2014, 07:59:51 PM »
Has anyone heard anything about the germany gold situation? Everything I have come secondhand or through the paleomedia.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: germany and the gold
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 12:56:57 AM »
Which German gold story? The one about Germany wanting their gold from Ft Knox and we can't find it or one of the ones about Nazi looted gold from WWII?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 01:00:10 AM »
The only thing I've heard about this was on Glen Beck tonight in reference to last night's show.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/08/cataclysmic-what-you-probably-didnt-know-about-germany-getting-its-gold-back-from-the-federal-reserve/

If he's right, this could turn out very bad, very bad indeed.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 01:35:20 AM »
The only thing I've heard about this was on Glen Beck tonight in reference to last night's show.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/08/cataclysmic-what-you-probably-didnt-know-about-germany-getting-its-gold-back-from-the-federal-reserve/

The question arises - if the German's actual gold (the one with their name on it) isn't in Fort Knox...where the hell is it then?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 01:35:59 AM »

It looks like his entire thesis hangs on this:

“Subprime crisis, do you remember that?” Beck asked. “Imagine that crash on a global scale, and instead of houses it’s gold, which backs all of our money, and gold that is not really owned by anyone. Our money becomes worthless.”

The problem is, our money is NOT backed by gold. Hasn't been since we went off the gold standard in 1976. It's pure fiat currency currently.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 01:37:44 AM »
It wasn't that long ago that they tried to see and do an audit on their own gold and the Fed wouldn't let them.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:44:48 AM by freakazoid »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 01:40:40 AM »
It wasn't that long ago that they tried to see do an audit on their own gold and the Fed wouldn't let them.
I remember this, and I also remember thinking "the gold is gone".
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 07:40:48 AM »
Beck with a beard looks odd. Like a mash-up of an Amish Santa and the kid from A Christmas Story.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 08:37:23 AM »
The question arises - if the German's actual gold (the one with their name on it) isn't in Fort Knox...where the hell is it then?
China?

If any of this is true, we totally boned the Germans along with anyone else with gold deposits.
Short of all all out nuclear war, there isn't much that those countries could do. Their house of cards currency is tied to our house of cards currency, blow one over and they all collapse.
Lets get this party started already.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 08:44:19 AM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 10:08:54 AM »

Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 10:19:51 AM »
Beck with a beard looks odd. Like a mash-up of an Amish Santa and the kid from A Christmas Story.

I was going to say the same thing.  :lol:
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 10:21:29 AM »
It wasn't that long ago that they tried to see and do an audit on their own gold and the Fed wouldn't let them.

This is the first I've heard of this story at all, but, whaaa...t? How was that justified? I would think that would be "International Incident" material. I'd love to find some more historical references on this subject.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 11:24:07 AM »
Lolz.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
You're trolling right?

Not trolling, just being funny in a way.

Everyone always says the gold is in Ft Knox, well it is also stored in other places too.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 11:41:01 AM »
This would be why I advise against buying gold on paper instead of taking physical possession.

Way more people in the world think they own gold then gold exists.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 12:05:54 PM »
Everyone always says the gold is in Ft Knox, well it is also stored in other places too.

Or purportedly stored...

If I lend something to someone and ask for it back or at least to see it out of sudden distrust and they refuse to show it to me, I can only assume that its either broken or no longer in their possession.

Barack Obama

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 12:50:25 PM »
The German gold is supposedly in the Fed in NY- (which is one of the largest gold repositories in the US) they sent a few (300?) hundred tons there for "safekeeping" or something , I think in the 60's.
 They had requested an audit, and physical examination.  The fed refused.
 They asked to have the gold repatriated, all at once- the Fed said, no, but we can ship you 37 tons per year.
 The first shipment apparently was melted and recast in the US before shipment.

so- the Germans have no idea if-the gold is there at all, if the Fed refused to ship because they don't have it, or because it is backing up something else, and the original ingots are long gone. The exact same questions have been raised about fort knox- as the last  audit was many years ago.

This is all stuff I have picked up from various sites, obviously I have no way to verify .
 Here is some more info-

http://thesilicongraybeard.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-curious-case-of-german-gold.html

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:39:55 PM by tokugawa »

zahc

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 12:59:45 PM »
Suppose the gold was really recast.
--Why would the US deliberately recast the gold?
--If it assayed, why would Germany care? Did the agreement state that no recasting was allowed?

Suppose they are simply different bars

--why would the US ship them different bars? The only reason is that the originals are gone.

deeper question:
Why the heck would they give it to us? Is this kind of thing common?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 01:03:14 PM »
deeper question:

I would speculate that it removed one reason for the eastern block to invade West Germany.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 01:22:22 PM »

Glenn Beck is specifically paid to fearmonger on behalf of Goldline. FUD or "paid spokesman" depending on your perspective. But anyways, anything Mr Beck says regarding gold should be viewed with a heavy amount of suspicion. Notice the odd amount of Goldline advertising in the linked article?

http://www.goldline.com/goldline-testimonials

That said, Treasury and Federal Reserve have BOTH played very very very tight with allowing anyone to see the gold. And in the case of blind, fearmongering, FUD spewing paid spokesman finding the nut, yes, we do need accountability from the Federal Reserve.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 01:47:48 PM »
Suppose the gold was really recast.
--Why would the US deliberately recast the gold?
--If it assayed, why would Germany care? Did the agreement state that no recasting was allowed?

Suppose they are simply different bars

--why would the US ship them different bars? The only reason is that the originals are gone.

deeper question:

I wonder if the gold was NAZI marked

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 02:30:14 PM »
Russia doesn't like giving up gold either

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_Treasure

Uranus is a gas giant.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 02:43:02 PM »
I remember reading a story a few decades ago that said a LOT of gold was stored underground in banks in NYC. When countries exchanged the gold, it basically meant that X bars from Lower Slobovia were piled on a hand cart in the Lower Slobovian gold storage room, trundled down the hall to the Upper Volta gold storage room, and unloaded there. Entries were made in a record book, and the transaction was considered complete.

Now, if something fishy happened and some country's gold is unaccounted for or missing (and this thread is the first I've heard of it) . . . that ought to be a big, BIG story.

With stupendous repercussions.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 02:43:40 PM »
The obvious reason to recast the gold is because it is not what came to them from the Germans originally.
 The obfuscation explanation surrounding it is interesting- read the link I posted- he goes into a lot more detail-

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 02:58:18 PM »
I remember reading a story a few decades ago that said a LOT of gold was stored underground in banks in NYC. When countries exchanged the gold, it basically meant that X bars from Lower Slobovia were piled on a hand cart in the Lower Slobovian gold storage room, trundled down the hall to the Upper Volta gold storage room, and unloaded there. Entries were made in a record book, and the transaction was considered complete.

Now, if something fishy happened and some country's gold is unaccounted for or missing (and this thread is the first I've heard of it) . . . that ought to be a big, BIG story.

With stupendous repercussions.

I remember seeing a show on Discovery/TLC/Something Cable Channel that was along the same lines, but it was in the Fed Reserve Bank in NYC.  Back in the late 1980's my brother worked (during the summer) for Chase Bank, in NYC, and his department had to go audit the bank's silver every month.  They didn't do the gold as they weren't high enough in the pecking order.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.