Author Topic: the new welfare queens  (Read 7653 times)

zahc

• friend
the new welfare queens
« on: January 12, 2014, 08:47:10 PM »
Something I haven't pondered...welfare as subsidy for labor-dependent industries. Of course, those same industries work against the tariffs of minimum wage and mandatory entitlement contributions, which drive UP the cost of labor. So the government squeezes the employers with minimum wage, obamacare, etc, then helps out by increasing food stamps. All actions increase the scope and power of the government, all actions seem to the uneducated populace as "government helping out". American politics at its finest.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-13/how-mcdonald-s-and-wal-mart-became-welfare-queens.html

This issue has become more known as we learn just how far some companies have gone in putting their employees on public assistance. According to one study, American fast food workers receive more than $7 billion dollars in public assistance. As it turns out, McDonald's has a “McResource” line that helps employees and their families enroll in various state and local assistance programs. It exploded into the public when a recording of the McResource line advocated that full-time employees sign up for food stamps and welfare.

Wal-Mart, the nation’s largest private sector employer, is also the biggest consumer of taxpayer supported aid. According to Florida Congressman Alan Grayson, in many states, Wal-Mart employees are the largest group of Medicaid recipients. They are also the single biggest group of food stamp recipients. Wal-mart’s "associates" arepaid so little, according to Grayson, that they receive $1,000 on average in public assistance. These amount to massive taxpayer subsidies for private companies.

Why are profitable, dividend-paying firms receiving taxpayer subsidies? The short answer is, because they can. The longer answer is more complex and nuanced.

Both McDonald's and Wal-Mart are engaging in perfectly legal behavior. The system was set up long ago in ways that failed to imagine companies doing this. Yes, they are taking advantage of the taxpayer, but they are also operating within the law.

Which means it is time to change those outdated rules.

The simplest solution is to raise the minimum wage.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 09:01:51 PM »
Are we gonna lump uncle whiskers in there too?

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3462465/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: the new welfare queens
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 09:58:09 PM »
1. I blame the .gov (and the American voting public) for having the welfare programs in the first place.

2. I blame the .gov (and the American voting public) for running the economy into the ground so that people are trying to support a family on what is supposed to be a minimum/low wage job for teenagers, students, and retirees.

3. I blame the fast food workers (and their parents, and their parents...) for having poor life skills and finding themselves in such a position that they're trying to support a family on what is supposed to be a minimum/low wage job for teenagers, students, and retirees.

4. Only AFTER 1. 2. and 3. do I blame the big corporations/banks for taking advantage of the .gov screwups and openings for rent-seeking and corporatist/crony capitalist gains in 2. above, and then being so crass as to point their workers to the programs in 1.

I promise not to duck.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 10:26:57 PM »
3. I blame the fast food workers (and their parents, and their parents...) for having poor life skills and finding themselves in such a position that they're trying to support a family on what is supposed to be a minimum/low wage job for teenagers, students, and retirees.

I think this should come as #1.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re:
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 11:28:20 PM »

If the .mil wanted you to have a family they would have issued you one.  That, or paid you at a rate sufficient to afford one.

It helps to have some idea of how much money it is going to take to do something before you start doing it.  .Mil member and spouse is doable, but adding rugrats makes it progressively harder.

Going into the .mil, one gives up or delays a lot of things.  Marriage and a family might be some things to add to the list.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 03:33:16 AM »
The linked article's short answer is correct, because they can. Their short answer is so far from correct it's not funny. Go ahead, raise the min wage and thus the cost of everything. Then we can put the current $10-15/hour class workers on assistance. The short answer should be to drastically curtail public assistance. I'm not against all of it, but why can't SNAP be more like WIC? No cash redemption to go buy lottery tickets, approved list of foods, etc.

Oh jeez, not this crap again. I have had it with the poor military on food stamps meme. Done with it. Okay, $53 million commissary redemptions in the last 6 months. That's all dependents, all retired, disabled vets, etc. No idea how many people that is, but it's a number way bigger than the 3 million or so in uniform now. Further, in 1996 I bought a house and made bills while my wife worked part time in a gift shop and/or went to grad school with a small stipend. I was an E-4 and was not particularly rich. Thankfully the crazy lady was very good with budgeting. Last week I was cleaning up my detritus and came across one of my leave and earnings statements from 2002. There, 12 years ago I was an E-6 with 7 years in service and then single. I was making the same then as I am now in the civilian world having been back in the workforce for 3 years and having received 3 raises in the past 9 months. No wonder I could afford a race car back then.  :facepalm: I was making 70K when I left in '08. I cannot make 70K as a skilled aircraft mechanic unless I move to a union state with a high cost of living and eat union crap. Yeah, I'd rather work 3 jobs at walmart and mcdonalds.

The military gets paid just fine. Want more money make rate and stop getting Vajabba pregnant.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 04:13:54 AM by French G. »
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re:
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 03:35:10 AM »
If the .mil wanted you to have a family they would have issued you one.  That, or paid you at a rate sufficient to afford one.

It helps to have some idea of how much money it is going to take to do something before you start doing it.  .Mil member and spouse is doable, but adding rugrats makes it progressively harder.

Going into the .mil, one gives up or delays a lot of things.  Marriage and a family might be some things to add to the list.

stay safe.

This

There's not much dumber than trying to have a kid or two as a private.

Military members shouldn't even think about marriage until the rank of sergeant, imo
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 04:15:38 AM »
They don't let you get married at the service academies. Should be contractually the same for the first 3-4 years of service. Some Marine General said as much and got pretty much lynched for saying so.
AKA Navy Joe   

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 06:20:49 AM »
Remember the push to raise the minimum wage is all about the unions. Not to mention populist support, but the unions are key.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 06:53:26 AM »
Remember the push to raise the minimum wage is all about the unions. Not to mention populist support, but the unions are key.
It's handy, if someone starts spouting off in support of it I can write them off as idiots. To include some co-workers making 20-25/hour. Sure, work a trade, years of experience but you want McDonald's crew kids to get $15? Yeah, I'm sure your paycheck will go a lot further then. Think the healthcare death spiral is bad? Wait for the labor force participation spiral when there are a lot less low skilled jobs available. Somebody's gonna have to pay for all the new public assistance.
AKA Navy Joe   

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 07:17:42 AM »
Oh jeez, not this crap again. I have had it with the poor military on food stamps meme. Done with it. Okay, $53 million commissary redemptions in the last 6 months. That's all dependents, all retired, disabled vets, etc. No idea how many people that is, but it's a number way bigger than the 3 million or so in uniform now. Further, in 1996 I bought a house and made bills while my wife worked part time in a gift shop and/or went to grad school with a small stipend. I was an E-4 and was not particularly rich. Thankfully the crazy lady was very good with budgeting. Last week I was cleaning up my detritus and came across one of my leave and earnings statements from 2002. There, 12 years ago I was an E-6 with 7 years in service and then single. I was making the same then as I am now in the civilian world having been back in the workforce for 3 years and having received 3 raises in the past 9 months. No wonder I could afford a race car back then.  :facepalm: I was making 70K when I left in '08. I cannot make 70K as a skilled aircraft mechanic unless I move to a union state with a high cost of living and eat union crap. Yeah, I'd rather work 3 jobs at walmart and mcdonalds.

The military gets paid just fine. Want more money make rate and stop getting Vajabba pregnant.

This.

I'm not broke in my civilian job but I make significantly more as an activated E-6.  The military get's paid fine. Stay away from the Dependapottomus and quit popping out munchkins.  Honestly, enlisted folks on public assistance have made bad life choices.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: the new welfare queens
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 07:20:47 AM »

Bingo!!! If you follow the trail on all these campaigns the union stench gets stronger as you near the source.  And there are msny useful idiots who will cheerlead whst they see as giving away free money

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I