Author Topic: Police shoot man with hands up and surrendering  (Read 1635 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Police shoot man with hands up and surrendering
« on: January 24, 2014, 09:47:25 PM »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Police shoot man with hands up and surrendering
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 09:58:30 PM »
In the video, the guy turns toward what I gather is his vehicle (where he supposedly was thought to have a gun), and then shots are fired at the same moment at which he raises his hands.

He may have turned his back to the shooter, but he was facing toward other officers.

I wouldn't claim to have enough evidence to say for sure, but it looks to me like it could very well be a good shoot.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 10:19:05 PM »
The video doesn't show the video of the time at the moment of the shooting. It freezes and then you hear the sounds of the shots.

I'd like to see the FULL video, poor as it is, from before the LL shots all the way till the body hits the ground.

The media is infamous for not telling the whole story or twisting the story to fit their narrative. (or even outright lying, but I don't see *that* in this case)

That said, if I had a guy who just got out of a stolen vehicle, just soaked up taser and beanbag rounds without being phased, claimed to have a gun, and then went back to that car, I'd shoot that guy before he had a chance to get the gun he claimed.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 10:23:01 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 10:48:05 PM »
Bad video and heavily edited.  Hard to reach any real conclusion from that alone - especially with pausing it and shifting the audio track to exaggerate the time the arms were in the air.

In the first play through of the video (~0:10), the first shot is off before the guy's arms clear his shoulders.  If accurate, I don't think the deputy could have registered "he's giving up" fast enough to stop his shot.
The second play through (~2:18) they have the sound muted and pause the video when the arms are at full extension, wait a second and then play the gunshots.  If that version were accurate then it would be a much worse scenario.

Anyway, as I said, hard to reach any real conclusion (damning or exculpatory) from the video itself, however the witness who quotes the dead guy as having said "I've got a gun, the only way you're going to take is me is - you're going to have to shoot me," makes it sound a whole lot more like suicide by cop.  The now dead guy was in an allegedly stolen car, took police on an hour long chase, proclaimed himself to be armed and that he was going to make the police shoot him.  It seems that he decided at the very last minute to give up, but he hadn't exactly laid the groundwork for it.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 10:54:28 PM »
At least the cops got to go home at the end of their shift.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 10:50:09 AM »
He made a furtive motion
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 11:52:48 AM »
He'll, just taking the cops on a chase nearly justifies deadly force to me.  I think it would have to be a pretty clear bad shoot to convince me to convict.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 11:56:21 AM »
Sheriffs Deputy Executes Unarmed Man Surrendering with Hands in the Air

This is the headline of the link.  Not really an impartial source of information. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge