Author Topic: Political correctness run amok  (Read 1257 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Political correctness run amok
« on: January 25, 2014, 11:14:53 AM »
http://dailycaller.com/2013/11/26/prof-corrects-minority-students-capitalization-is-accused-of-racism/

Apparently it is now racist for a professor to correct students' poor grammar and spelling. It creates a "hostile" environment.

This is what happens when the elementary and secondary school teachers whose job it is to TEACH spelling and grammar don't do so, and just pass under-performing students along to the next level to get rid of them. The students get the idea that they are entitled (there's that word again) to passing grades for unsatisfactory work, so they view any correction as a racist attack.

I hope the professor is tenured.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 02:25:42 PM »
Not surprised. Saddened but not surprising

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Political correctness run amok
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 02:53:26 PM »
God help us as more and more of these morons actually walk away with Masters and PhDs and are hired (all too often in government) through EEO programs.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Chuck Dye

• friend
Re: Political correctness run amok
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 02:55:24 PM »
Too right?  Too white!  Don' be dissin' the lingo!

There are powerful forces among many minorities demanding that no one be too white in their ways.  It should come as no surprise that that drive within the minority community be turned into a racist bludgeon.

For a time, I had a friendship building with a fresh-off-the-boat Nigerian.  The man speaks gorgeous English, wielding the language with far greater skill than most Americans.  One day his sixteen year old son turned up.  Kiddo spoke as well as his father.  After the young man departed, I complemented the father on his son's English.  Dad thanked me but added I should hear the kid when he is among his American black friends, saying the peer pressure to eschew proper English is huge and I would scarcely recognize his son.  Dad's last comment, with a big sigh and audible pain was, "They are turning my son into a *let's not go there*."
Gee, I'd love to see your data!