Author Topic: You have some quiet time alone....how to spend it?  (Read 16794 times)

Lee

• friend
You have some quiet time alone....how to spend it?
« on: March 04, 2005, 07:05:44 PM »
How would you spend an ideal evening alone (keep it clean)? Cleaning and or admiring your gun collection?  Sipping your favorite beverage...which is?  Reading a good book? Listening to a particular album/CD...who, which genre?  Watching a movie...War? Horror? Romance? Action? Educational? The news?  Working out?  Calling old friends on the phone?  In short- what keeps you sane?

I don't get much alone time.  When I do, I like to visit with the guns for a bit- then put them away and head to the family room with an icy glass of sippin vodka or whiskey, crank up some of my old favorite tunes.  This can vary from Classical to Led Zep to Merle Haggard.  Ocassionally, I put on some old jazz like Stan Getz and the Gilbertos, or Dave Brubeck, and mentally drift away to a different place and time.  I always wondered what it would have been like to hang out in Havana in the pre-Castro days, sippin rum, smoking Cubans, wearing a 1911, and keeping my eyes peeled for danger and/or opportunity.  What can I say - reality bores me sometimes haha.  How do you escape in place?

Happy Bob

• friend
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 07:23:05 PM »
Books. I like books. Oh, and sometimes I go to the gun boards, and it looks like I'll come here to APS now, too.
WE DON'T WEAR FUR.
(We have it made into Cowboy Hats)

Freedspeak

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 07:58:36 PM »
Depends on the mood, might do a bit of reloading, might sit with the wife in front of a fire, we might clean/detail arms, or talk forms of politics (she can be a pistol!).

Usually lively discussion with freinds, or decent shows.

Taurus

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 08:42:34 PM »
You said "Keep it clean"? You couldn't be more right. I don't clean the house during the daytime hours. Everything gets dusted, scrubbed, swept, and swiffered Friday nights. Like right now I'm cleaning house and in between post here or check out THR. That's usually my Friday nights. That's it! No I don't go out partying anymore like I once did a decade ago. I'm an introvert anyways .. couldn't hang in a dark, depressing, bar atmosphere with dimbos to the left of me bimbos to the right. I've considered book reading, but can't sit long enough to enjoy reading something. DIYer and cleaner (always on the move) by second trade.
J. D. White

Old Fud

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 09:05:52 PM »
I like to think I'm one of those people Dan Rather is afraid of.
I get into my ratty PJs, turn off every light in the house but the one right next to the computer, open a gatorade and read forums and blogs.

That's most quiet nights.

When I'm feeling antsy, theres an indoor range about 10 minutes from here that is open til midnight.
Fud
Change is Bad!

Wildalaska

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 09:29:14 PM »
Everything gets dusted, scrubbed, swept, and swiffered Friday nights.

How long till ya get over here, the bathroom really needs a good scouring

WilddustbunnyAlaska
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

Taurus

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 09:58:52 PM »
How long till ya get over here, the bathroom really needs a good scouring

You hit on the worst part of it all: Bathrooms ... Yech! especially hate rubbing the urine salts and whathaveyou from around the porcelain. You got a dirty shower or need floor restoration, no problem for me.
J. D. White

Schuey2002

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 11:43:10 PM »
A whole night?!? Do you mean one in which my friends aren't pounding on my door wanting to quote, "go do something"?

I'd probably just spend it out in the garage tinkering on something Toyota related..

Taurus

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2005, 12:11:55 AM »
Do you mean one in which my friends aren't pounding on my door wanting to quote, "go do something"?

Yeah, something like that. If I'm not DIYing, I'm helping my friend in a project (rare). I check in on the elderly neighbors once a week (only to one side of me) to say "hello" and ask them if they need any assistance. I think they know I CCW into their house 'cause they once in a while give me strange looks, but then again it could just be a Geritol overdose. Nothing yet's been said.

Toyota??? What's that?! From the first 3 letters, I take it it's a toy of some kind. Do you fly toy airplanes or something?
J. D. White

Wedge

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2005, 02:53:25 AM »
Alone time is reading or reloading.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2005, 05:37:08 AM »
Reading, surfing the web, reloading, woodworking, listening to my iPod, rubbing my wife's feet, playing a game with my daughter, brushing the dogs...
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2005, 06:16:42 AM »
Right now, with 2 small kids, and a wife who goes to bed at 8 or earlier, ALL my nights are quiet nights. Smiley

Usually if I have a good computer game I'd be playing that, or reading forums, or just reading books.  Books get expensive though.

-James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Gary

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2005, 06:48:02 AM »
Books.  If I had time though, I'd be in the woods.

Michigander

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2005, 06:55:37 AM »
Wow. I hadn't thought about it. Is it even possible?

A whole night, truly alone? No one at home? Can listen to MY music as loud as I want to? Can play my ultra violent PC games - as loud as I want to with no headphones?

I like to drink beer, get a little tipsy and play chess online. I could do that most of the night actually.

When I was single, I had many nights like that. Never thought much about it then either.

Now, being a family man, I can't even really see it happening.

And how late would I be able to sleep-in the next morn... ah, afternoon?
What if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?

Can'thavenuthingood

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2005, 07:34:36 AM »
Reading.
Internet news sites
The High Road and now APS
Books.
Magazines, Business, Computer & Motorcycle
Tinkering with my motorcy or a night ride.

Sometimes I sit and think.
Other times I just sit.

Vick

Moondoggie

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2005, 07:48:44 AM »
Probably reloading, internet, music...definately would involve some time in the hot tub drinking some wine & looking at the stars.  Also might include whipping up something yummy in the kitchen.  Could be watching our favorite shows recorded on the two DVR's....Ahhh, no commercials.

That pretty much describes 5 out of 7 nites a week around here.

Gotta love semi-retirement in the empty nest!
Known from coast to coast, almost!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2005, 11:17:05 AM »
There is no quiet time in Bogie's Bunker.

This morning, got up, made coffee, drank coffee, went out for breakfast, came back, installed new caps in my favorite amp (saving the old ones just in case...), and plugged the sucker in.

Did some Arthel Watson, then some Steely Dan, then Norah Jones, and right now it's Joss Stone... Dayum, the voice on that girl...
Blog under construction