Author Topic: "Gay Rights as Anti-Communism"  (Read 1594 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Gay Rights as Anti-Communism"
« on: February 10, 2014, 11:50:05 PM »
This is somewhat akin to some thoughts I've had why the LGBTROFLBBQ issues seem to be so important to straight lefties and liberteranians. I would have titled it "Gay Rights as Black Civil Rights," but that's me.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/gay-rights-as-anti-communism/

And it's kinda interesting, regardless.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: "Gay Rights as Anti-Communism"
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 12:13:11 AM »
I do see some truth in that. More for the Left than the Libertarians.

I think the Right's disenfranchisement with Libertarians over Gay Marriage/Gay rights is just that, disappointment, "But.. you guys agree with us on so much other stuff!" etc.

I see the Libertarian stance as merely being consistent with the ideology. I've always held that trying to "win" Gay Marriage is a mistake in the long run and no right minded Libertarian should do much more than offer moral support, "Gay people want to be married? Go for it, more power to them..." etc. To do so otherwise treats the .gov as a prize or crown to be fought over, or as though we're rival siblings arguing to win over a parent. That just empowers the .gov in ways to the detriment of all of us in the long run.

Gays ought to just live as they see fit, and ignore the .gov on the matter as much as possible. The few places the .gov might try to forcibly intervene with them, or do something they feel is unfair, like interfere with parental rights, inheritance, next-of-kin issues or whatever... should be met with civil disobedience, and force if necessary.

http://www.a-human-right.com/s_pp-ar-glock.jpg

Freedom's messy, and it isn't for sissies.
I promise not to duck.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 05:01:15 AM »
Honestly, I put gays as the liberal version of gun owners

Look at what we deal with: every election, we have the Republicans telling us how pro-gun they are... yet how often do we see any pro-gun movement?

At the same time, every election, gays are told by Democrats how they support gay rights... and yet, how often do you see any actual movement on that issue?

It's all smoke and mirrors, meant to keep a group of people "voting correctly"
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 07:26:05 AM »
Honestly, I put gays as the liberal version of gun owners

Look at what we deal with: every election, we have the Republicans telling us how pro-gun they are... yet how often do we see any pro-gun movement?

At the same time, every election, gays are told by Democrats how they support gay rights... and yet, how often do you see any actual movement on that issue?

It's all smoke and mirrors, meant to keep a group of people "voting correctly"

???  In ten years, we went from anti-sodomy laws, to same-sex spousal benefits for fed.gov employees. Isn't that moving pretty quickly?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 07:32:08 AM »
I disagree with the article's point that "there is no oppression now" like there was during the civil rights movement. He even mentions pot legalization as one of the "safe" movements. Sure, tell yourself that as the swat team is shooting your dog.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 08:27:38 AM »
???  In ten years, we went from anti-sodomy laws, to same-sex spousal benefits for fed.gov employees. Isn't that moving pretty quickly?

Civil rights movement took far longer, though I wonder where you'd peg the starting points for the various movents at. 

I disagree with the article's point that "there is no oppression now" like there was during the civil rights movement. He even mentions pot legalization as one of the "safe" movements. Sure, tell yourself that as the swat team is shooting your dog.

Safe is relative.  You're unlikely to be assassinated over pot, it was a real concern for the civil rights people.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 11:18:23 AM »
Gays People ought to just live as they see fit, and ignore the .gov on the matter as much as possible.

Fixed  ;)

Actually, I'd like to see the dot gov get out of the personal relationship business.

Get rid of the income tax, and a lot of these issues go away.   =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 11:40:39 AM »
Civil rights movement took far longer, though I wonder where you'd peg the starting points for the various movents at. 

Safe is relative.  You're unlikely to be assassinated over pot, it was a real concern for the civil rights people.

Uh, I'd need to dig up the statistics, but plenty of people have, are and will be assassinated over pot. Or does it not count if it's done by people with government paychecks?

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 11:42:59 AM »
Uh, I'd need to dig up the statistics, but plenty of people have, are and will be assassinated over pot. Or does it not count if it's done by people with government paychecks?

To say nothing of those motivated by market competition...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch