Author Topic: Dubai considers minimum salary requirement for car ownership  (Read 17006 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Dubai considers minimum salary requirement for car ownership
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2014, 10:57:28 AM »
I'd support tying car ownership to actual1 proof of driving competence.

Then the Dubians would disqualify themselves, and they can't have that...

Note:  I've actually been in Dubai.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2014, 11:18:34 AM »
They should also ban anyone over a certain income or net worth level from driving. They have to use a chauffeur.

Universal employment. Bam. That's taken care of.  :rofl:
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2014, 11:28:37 AM »
Most financially wise people I have met will drive an older vehicle simply because it avoids a lifetime of being chained to a car payment in an effort to keep up with the Joneses and always have "a new car". Even those that buy a new vehicle off the lot will keep it for 10+ years vs trading it in every couple of years.
I've always bought my vehicles new, but I tend to keep them a while; since my first car in 1973, I've owned a 1984, a 1993, and am now driving a 2006, with no plans to replace it anytime soon. One financial adviser I spoke to said you should "drive your car into the ground;" meaning do regular service like oil changes and such, but don't buy another as long as what you're driving is still reliable. 

I figure the day to start saving for your next car is the day you buy a new car; that way, by the time you're in the market for one again, you can pay cash. (Making car payments to yourself isn't as painful as making them to a dealer, bank, or finance company.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2014, 12:02:05 PM »
I bought two new pickups when I was young (and single) but have bought used vehicles ever since.

I usually try to find a low mileage "survivor" and/or buy cheap enough to afford to fix a bunch of stuff and still come out even.  Mostly that has worked out really well.

Our newest vehicle is being the most trouble-some: little stuff like door handles breaking off, remote keys not working and standard door key causing the alarm to go off, computer not working right in cold weather, and generally being helpless on snow/ice/mud.  OTOH, it gets great gas mileage  =|

And the newer vehicles on the market have even more crap to cause problems.  But it's getting harder and harder to find good used vehicles in the past few years (seemingly since the "cash for clunkers" fiasco).
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2014, 01:39:35 PM »
  But it's getting harder and harder to find good used vehicles in the past few years (seemingly since the "cash for clunkers" fiasco).

Maybe people hung on to their cars longer or desired used cars in the Great Recession??
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2014, 02:54:07 PM »
Maybe people hung on to their cars longer or desired used cars in the Great Recession??

Maybe ... seems like all the 1970s and 1980s pickups for sale just vanished with a few exceptions - most of which are either basket cases or some weird custom thing for a ridiculous price.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »
Maybe ... seems like all the 1970s and 1980s pickups for sale just vanished with a few exceptions - most of which are either basket cases or some weird custom thing for a ridiculous price.

That is because they are 30 and 40 years old, many just rusted away or had so many miles one them they were not worth anything other than the junk yard.

How many 1940's and 1950's vehicles did you see for sale in the 1990s?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2014, 03:12:50 PM »

Ordinary used trucks that old probably just got scrapped as they exceeded their useful economic life.  Don't see many 70's or 80's cars around any more either, same reason.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2014, 04:46:13 PM »
Ordinary used trucks that old probably just got scrapped as they exceeded their useful economic life.  Don't see many 70's or 80's cars around any more either, same reason.

There is only so long a vehicle can last...particularly in the land of the salted roads.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2014, 06:08:25 PM »
Ordinary used trucks that old probably just got scrapped as they exceeded their useful economic life.  Don't see many 70's or 80's cars around any more either, same reason.

Before 2009 there were always a few in the classifieds.

Unfortunately I didn't grab one then.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2014, 08:03:38 PM »
It would also make it more difficult for their slaves to escape as well.

In the ultimate of ironies, the Dubai airport has anti-trafficking billboards all over the place.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2014, 08:44:38 PM »
In the ultimate of ironies, the Dubai airport has anti-trafficking billboards all over the place.
Ironic irony is ironic.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2014, 10:32:47 PM »
Before 2009 there were always a few in the classifieds.

Unfortunately I didn't grab one then.

That was five years and 50-70k miles ago.

Its not like you see a whole lot K cars from the 1980's still running around. :)

Uranus is a gas giant.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2014, 11:21:32 PM »

1.  They're really concerned about their public face
2.  they want you to legally exploit the workers, not illegally.