Author Topic: Northwestern University football players can unionize, federal agency says  (Read 2073 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/03/26/college-football-players-can-unionize-federal-agency-says/

The decision by a regional director of the National Labor Relations Board means it agrees football players at the Big Ten school qualify as employees under federal law and therefore can legally unionize. Outgoing Wildcats quarterback Kain Colter took a leading role in establishing the College Athletes Players Association, or CAPA, which would take the lead in organizing the players. The United Steelworkers union has been footing the legal bills.

Oh this is going to be interesting.   [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn]
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

brimic

• friends
I'm all for them getting paid, but I think they really shot themselves in the foot by unionizing.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
I'm all for them getting paid, but I think they really shot themselves in the foot by unionizing.

Not so sure.  They will need a whole lot of influence to counter the NCAA.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Regolith

• friend
I'm betting this will last for about 15 minutes. You think they'd give NFL a pass on antitrust laws and not give the NCAA a pass on labor laws?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
This will get interesting as I'm sure it will extend to Basketball and maybe a couple other sports. 

Funny how the most leftwing of institutions get hoist on their own petard.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
My respectl evel  for college sports has now gone from single digit negative negative numbers high double digit negative numbers.

No problem with private colleges being a life support system for atheltic programs but public funded schools not so much.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
Not so sure.  They will need a whole lot of influence to counter the NCAA.

I think the footballers and basketballers simply want to be able to take cash or gifts from boosters... get a union involved and demand pay means that your Div 1 stud senior quarterback will end up getting the same pay as a freshman on the women's field hockey team after Title IX comes into play.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

T.O.M.

• friend
And, let's not forget this...if they are being "paid," then tuition, room and board, books, and all of the other perks that go along with the "job" may just become taxable income.  Think of the tax bill for Johnny who is getting a full ride at a $75,000 a year school, plus the costs of room and board, books, and all of the other fun extras that some athletes get.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark