Author Topic: Onion America  (Read 816 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Onion America
« on: June 15, 2014, 03:37:24 PM »
I guess we now live in a satire of a once-great land.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/06/13/national-guard-not-welcome-this-time-at-san-francisco-lgbt-pride-weekend-chelsea-manning-is/

So, people march down the street, because they are proud of their perversity and/or gender confusion, and apparently so are we.

As honorary grand marshal, they choose a guy who really did nothing for "gay pride," except to be the most highly-visible transgender in our newly-tolerant army. Which notoriety he achieved by leaking classified information, and then going public with his denial of his own boy parts.

The National Guard inexplicably decided that they should attend said "pride parades," apparently in order to recruit more Bradley (Chelsea) Mannings, but are disappointed they will not be permitted to recruit at this year's event. This is because they won't play along with the gender-bending psychoses of Mannings, et al.

Oh, and actual, network news sources are referring to Mr. Manning (a male) as "she."

I suppose we must now regard the Onion as one of the major news networks. They'll need a big-time anchor. Dave Barry could do it.

Edited last paragraph for style.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 06:26:01 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Onion America
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 09:57:27 PM »
I guess we now live in a satire of a once-great land.

I guess we'll have to regard the Onion as one of the major news networks, now. They'll need a big-time anchor. Dave Barry could do it.

Shamelessly stolen from you!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 11:26:03 PM »
Shamelessly stolen from you!

I think that's just the Facebook "Like" thumb, so no shame necessary.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 05:23:08 PM »
Possibly the best Fistful post of all time.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 05:45:53 PM »
Onion America indeed.

The USA has been degrading into a continental Theater of the Absurd the last few decades.

The Theatre of the Absurd (French: Théâtre de l'Absurde) is a designation for particular plays of absurdist fiction written by a number of primarily European playwrights in the late 1950s, as well as one for the style of theatre which has evolved from their work. Their work expressed the belief that human existence has no meaning or purpose and therefore all communication breaks down. Logical construction and argument gives way to irrational and illogical speech and to its ultimate conclusion, silence.[1]

Critic Martin Esslin coined the term in his 1960 essay "Theatre of the Absurd." He related these plays based on a broad theme of the Absurd, similar to the way Albert Camus uses the term in his 1942 essay, "The Myth of Sisyphus".[2] The Absurd in these plays takes the form of man’s reaction to a world apparently without meaning, and/or man as a puppet controlled or menaced by invisible outside forces. Though the term is applied to a wide range of plays, some characteristics coincide in many of the plays: broad comedy, often similar to Vaudeville, mixed with horrific or tragic images; characters caught in hopeless situations forced to do repetitive or meaningless actions; dialogue full of clichés, wordplay, and nonsense; plots that are cyclical or absurdly expansive; either a parody or dismissal of realism and the concept of the "well-made play".

Those bold-face bits sound about right.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton