Author Topic: More reason to not shop Target  (Read 818 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
More reason to not shop Target
« on: July 14, 2014, 09:59:40 AM »
The ink is hardly dry on Target's "request" that customers not carry firearms in their stores when they took another unconscionable action: they apparently fired an employee for ... doing his job.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/target-security-officer-fired-after-reportingshoplifting/2014/07/10/f3d6f606-0854-11e4-bbf1-cc51275e7f8f_story.html?tid=pm_local_pop

My guess is that the store manager is a friend of the [alleged] shoplifter. I've seen it before -- a couple of years ago I sat in the Subway sandwich area of a Wal-Mart and watched a mother (typical, morbidly obese "People of Wal-Mart" type) set her young son (maybe 5 or 6 years old) up for a slip-fall incident in front of the soda machine. Someone called 9-1-1, and EMS arrived within a couple of minutes. The mother refused to allow EMS to examine her son, then immediately started making noises about suing.

When the store manager arrived, she was on a first name basis with the mother. After the furor had died down, I went to the courtesy desk and asked to speak with the manager. I told her I had seen the entire incident, that I was certain it had been done intentionally, and that I was willing to sign a statement. The manager told me that "wasn't necessary." My sense then (and I haven't changed my opinion since) was that the manager was going to pass the claim on and recommend paying the woman off. It irritated me because I expected that the blame was going to come down on the young lady behind the Subway counter, and she did nothing wrong. In fact, the first time the kid slipped (but didn't fall down) she mopped up the floor and put out a "CAUTION - WET FLOOR" sign. Nonetheless, Mom sent the kid back to the machine and had him try skating on the wet floor.

So it would not surprise me to find that a target manager was throwing an employee under the bus to protect a friend. No charges have been filed probably because the store manager has declined to press charges -- which I sustect is not in accordance with Target's corporate policy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: More reason to not shop Target
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 11:13:46 AM »

Or it could be that management is simply throwing him under the bus for embarrassing the local police department.

I'm not familiar with the Fairfax County sheriff department. Some departments you could be responsible for getting a deputy locked up and the sheriff would thank you for getting a dirty cop off the street. Others... Well, it'd be a good idea to move. Quickly. And avoid driving in the area for at least six months. With local departments, you can never be sure. Some are absolutely great (AFAIK, my local department is) and some are not.

My move before last was inspired because a magistrate ripped the chief a new one over his deputy violating SSCRA. My front door lock was shortly after damaged by a lock gun, which I know because I've used them before. Moving is far cheaper than even the possibility of drugs appearing inside a vent or under a drawer.

That's unfortunately part of life. If you piss off the local powers that be, bad things will happen.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: More reason to not shop Target
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 11:23:58 AM »
Or it could be that management is simply throwing him under the bus for embarrassing the local police department.

I'm not familiar with the Fairfax County sheriff department. Some departments you could be responsible for getting a deputy locked up and the sheriff would thank you for getting a dirty cop off the street. Others... Well, it'd be a good idea to move. Quickly. And avoid driving in the area for at least six months. With local departments, you can never be sure. Some are absolutely great (AFAIK, my local department is) and some are not.

My move before last was inspired because a magistrate ripped the chief a new one over his deputy violating SSCRA. My front door lock was shortly after damaged by a lock gun, which I know because I've used them before. Moving is far cheaper than even the possibility of drugs appearing inside a vent or under a drawer.

That's unfortunately part of life. If you piss off the local powers that be, bad things will happen.

For further explanation, Fairfax County would be the neighboring police jurisdiction. Leesburg is in Loudon County, so any repercussions would be the result of professional courtesy.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought