Author Topic: Less than 3 percent of the U.S. population identify themselves as gay  (Read 3654 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Less than 3 percent of the U.S. population identify themselves as gay
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 07:20:26 PM »
Ron,

I share your concerns. Unfortunately, it is not very loving to paint with such a broad brush. You also treat these things as if they were mutually exclusive. There's no reason why churches can't fulfill their God-given mission to love the poor and the sinners, while also reproving sin. While doing that, they can also join other pro-reason folks in opposing irrational govt policies (same-sex marriage, etc.).

I guess I need to ask specifically what you are referring to as being broad brush and where I was unloving.

Over the years I've attended my fair share of fundamentalist as well as evangelical churches. I've listened to Christian media and read the tomes and editorials from the movers and shakers from across the spectrum of Christendom.

Personally I think the "church" has gone astray and is seeking influence and authority to use coercion (the power of the state) to define the culture.

That is not the way.

IMHO
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 08:33:32 PM »
I guess I need to ask specifically what you are referring to as being broad brush and where I was unloving.

How about right here:

Personally I think the "church" has gone astray and is seeking influence and authority to use coercion (the power of the state) to define the culture.

That's just not true. It may be true of some churches (or "churches"), but it's an unsupportably broad accusation.

Even if you're correct about the above, the church has no right to choose its own program. It is commanded to spread the Gospel, care for the downtrodden, love our enemies, families, friends and neighbors, AND expose the "deeds of darkness." So while I agree that we sometimes lose sight of loving those outside the church, that doesn't mean we stop speaking against sin.

Caveat: I don't mean to say that every Christian, or every local congregation, must do all of those things to the same extent, at the same time. Nor do I think politics must always, or even very often, be involved.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 09:24:11 PM »
You've never heard of the Moral Majority? The impact of the evangelical embrace of political power in the 80's and 90's is still reverberating to this day. My conversion to Christ occurred during the Reagan revolution at the heyday of the moral majority. I've thought on our missteps for decades. Instead of changing hearts for Christ evangelicals/fundamentalists have become a "hiss and a byword".  

The defense of marriage laws across the country seek to codify, in law, for believers and unbelievers alike, a "Christian" standard of marriage (that I concur with BTW). I'm just opposed to using the power of the state to impose our standard. Yes calling anything other than a male/female union marriage is silly...

The formulation of life, liberty and property seems an appropriate realm to limit government involvement in an individuals life, and then only protecting the free exercise thereof not providing or entitling. Freedom of conscience works both ways, nobody should dictate by coercion how it will be on matters not infringing on life, liberty or property.

Since when is pointing out the "Churches" reflexive moves using the power of the state against cultural shifts and decline unloving?

I've just adopted the original concept of separation of church and state as expressed by Roger Williams. Whenever the two are mixed the pure is fouled and the foul is no better.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 09:33:22 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 12:05:56 AM »
Oh, OK, then feel free to characterize a huge, diverse group of people based on a bygone movement that some of them supported, and a set of laws that could not possibly have forced any moral standard or belief system on anyone.

Ron, you're badmouthing your own people in public, and that speciously. I'm sorry if that doesn't seem very kind, to me.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 12:49:32 AM »
"Doctrinally confused progressive Christian crowd"?  What is that?

Some body that doesn't believe the exact same thing he does.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 07:17:35 AM »

Well I guess that is somewhat true. I do have a problem with the importation of post modern philosophy into Christian theology. That I guess is a whole different discussion.

Like I said earlier though I do appreciate and am challenged by some of the ideas about the church and Christs life that they have espoused.

Thanks for your great contribution to this thread  ;)

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:50:13 AM by Ron »

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 07:47:35 AM »
Oh, OK, then feel free to characterize a huge, diverse group of people based on a bygone movement that some of them supported, and a set of laws that could not possibly have forced any moral standard or belief system on anyone.

Ron, you're badmouthing your own people in public, and that speciously. I'm sorry if that doesn't seem very kind, to me.

How many states were motivated to make laws specifically aimed at keeping gay folks from getting "married" and weren't conservative Christians of every stripe the primary actors in that reactionary movement? Institutionally Christians have joined battle against the progressive homosexual lobby. There is a struggle for power, for control of the coercive force of government instead of a struggle for hearts and minds. This is not obvious? I fail to see how my argument is specious.   

If pointing out where we are deviating from what I perceive to be Christlike behavior is considered "badmouthing" then so be it. Nothing I've said is a secret to the folks reading these pages, they are widely read and politically aware. Not all of them see this political battle as a fight between the forces of light and darkness, good and evil. Many are opposed to what they see as Christians grabbing ahold of the levers of power in an attempt to build the Kingdom of God on earth. We need to reflect and consider if there is some truth to that.  Just because you disagree with my analysis you consider it badmouthing. If someone agrees they would call it speaking the truth. Myself, I call it dialog.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 07:50:54 AM »

Yeah, not so much.

For instance, examples of doctrinally coherent denominations are the Roman Catholic Church, the (big-O) Orthodox church, and those churches from the reformation that trace their current doctrine & practice back to Luther, Calvin, or Zwingli.  They have had ~2000 or ~500 years to refine their doctrines into logical and coherent wholes.  Heck, even those denominations that coalesced in the 19th century and were initially heavy on religious enthusiasm and light on doctrinal rigor have done a fair job in their 100 years of existence.  Think the pentacostal movement, LDS, and others.

You or I may disagree with their initial assumptions or logical conclusions along the way, but because/despite they have had 200/500/100 years for some very sharp men to help explicate their doctrine, their doctrines are coherent and not confused.  

On the other hand, there are the church bodies that have attempted to graft contemporary sensibilities on to their doctrine and end up with a Frankenstein's Monster where nothing lines up and coheres with the foundational doctrine.  Part of the reason they are dying is that once you get past the surface, the incoherence and doctrinal confusion is damn near impossible to miss.  Toss in the "new" church movements that come about every generation ("emergent church," for example) that usually are nothing more than ancient or medieval heresies long since discredited gussied up in hippie/hipster garb and you have the stable of "doctrinally confused progressive Christian" groups/denominations.

Ron:

You assume that Christians can not chew gum and walk at the same time.  And that somehow their doctrine requires them to exit the civil realm...when most Christian's doctrine requires them to participate in civil society, to include gov't policy.  It is a weak argument logically and unsupported by most churches' doctrine.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2014, 08:04:12 AM »
 =D [popcorn]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2014, 08:09:22 AM »

<snip>

Ron:

You assume that Christians can not chew gum and walk at the same time.  And that somehow their doctrine requires them to exit the civil realm...when most Christian's doctrine requires them to participate in civil society, to include gov't policy.  It is a weak argument logically and unsupported by most churches' doctrine.

Thanks for hopping in and speaking to orthodoxy. Even though we are pretty far apart in the Christian continuum I think you do a much better job at that than I do.

There are some areas where I believe followers of Jesus must try and influence the laws of civil society. In areas regarding the protection of life, liberty and property Christians should be in the vanguard.

Any law that expands or protects the individuals freedom is worthy of our support.

In America, let alone the world I don't find Christendom as a whole to be very small government minded, despite the occasional rhetoric otherwise.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:26:09 AM by Ron »

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2014, 08:38:45 AM »
As a Christian the only political philosophy(s) I find consistent with my walk with Christ would be classical liberalism or some form of libertarianism, just short of anarchy.

I believe in free will, freedom of conscience as well as inalienable human rights.

That also means the freedom to choose to reject my particular world view.

Governments like physicians should be charged first with do no harm (to life, liberty and property rights)

We should reject the use of government as a cudgel to forge the city of God.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2014, 10:52:30 AM »
=D [popcorn]

Announcer:  "To my left in the unrelieved black trunks, Thomas Aquinas! with his Summa Theologica, weighing in at over three thousand pages of closely argued objections & refutations rendered in tiny font.  To my right, in the stylish and mildly ironic light blue trunks that hearken back to the golden age of boxing (sourced from a store you wouldn't know somewhere in Austin, Texas) Brian McLaren! with his Why Did Jesus, Moses, the Buddha, and Mohammed Cross the Road?, weighing in at 281 pages of humorous and thought-provoking anecdotes deliberately lacking in propositional truth."

--three minutes later--

Ringside Commentator: "Bob, I tell you, I have not seen such a rout since Tyson destroyed McNeely in 90 seconds.  And the drama of Aquinas's trainer, Aristotle, encouraging him by shouting, "Give him the Averroes/Augustine combo, Thomas, for the love of faith and reason!" as Aquinas stepped out of his corner at the bell.  Despite his age, Aquinas was nimble on his feet and landed hammer blow after hammer blow with his Summa.  McLaren, careful up to this point to avoid a bout in the Theological Heavyweight division, quickly had his latest tome knocked from his grasp and could resort only to shouting out claims of tolerance and bad imitations of southern accents such as "The Bible says it, I believe it, that settles it," in a snarky and ironic fashion.  At 1:29 McLaren's trainers, Jacques Derrida and a previously unknown child who we were informed by McLaren's publicist is a Muslim refugee from Algeria, seeing McLaren in unrecoverable distress after being knocked down repeatedly, threw in the towel, shouting, "This is only a loss in this context!"

---ten minutes later---

Announcer: "Be sure to come back next week, to see Martin Luther and his Small Catechism take on Rob Bell and his Velvet Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith.  Sure to be a knock-down drag-out fight to the finish..."

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2014, 11:26:18 AM »
Announcer: "Be sure to come back next week, to see Martin Luther and his Small Catechism take on Rob Bell and his Velvet Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith.  Sure to be a knock-down drag-out fight to the finish..."

:lol:
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2014, 11:51:00 AM »
Thanks for hopping in and speaking to orthodoxy. Even though we are pretty far apart in the Christian continuum I think you do a much better job at that than I do.

There are some areas where I believe followers of Jesus must try and influence the laws of civil society. In areas regarding the protection of life, liberty and property Christians should be in the vanguard.

Any law that expands or protects the individuals freedom is worthy of our support.

In America, let alone the world I don't find Christendom as a whole to be very small government minded, despite the occasional rhetoric otherwise.

In America, let alone the world, almost no one is small .gov minded. It's an extremely minority position globally as well as locally.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.