Author Topic: The second Amendment in plain English  (Read 1406 times)

brimic

• friends
The second Amendment in plain English
« on: August 06, 2014, 09:52:50 AM »
http://dlaster.com/DOCUMENTS/How_to_read_2nd_Amendment.pdf

I thought I'd post this here for people to share with their English challenged liberal cohorts.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: The second Amendment in plain English
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 10:34:54 AM »
Most readers will never get past the main title.  The glaring grammar fail instantly discounts the author's credibility in the reader's mind.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 02:55:52 PM »
The solutions are making criminals serve their whole sentences, eliminate parole, and executing people who commit crimes that should be punished with execution. That is we hold people responsible for their actions.
That is only one-sided and doesn't address the whole self defense aspect.  The other side of it is that liberals/communists/anti-rights people have sought to change the law by getting friendly judges to ignore pre-constitutional common law which has required states to rewrite self defense statutes to specifically allow self defense and has IMO restricted the self defense rights of Americans and drawn very thin lines between a  murder conviction and self defense.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 03:08:21 PM »
Most readers will never get past the main title.  The glaring grammar fail instantly discounts the author's credibility in the reader's mind.

Brad
I didn't notice that at first glance, but it ACTUALLY should be easy to fix.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 06:41:34 PM »
:facepalm:  I didn't notice it either; my mind automatically filled in the missing letters.
It is possible that the article was titled by the editor though .... so I'd not automatically ascribe it to the author.   Either way it's obviously an oversight.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 08:53:43 PM »

I'm a fairly accomplished native English speaker and I have no trouble understanding those words of the Second Amendment just as they are.

It's too bad that over the past, say, 10 decades, we have been put in a position to have to defend them against "interpretations" and bracketed "explanations" such as adding "[militia]" between "people" and "to keep and bear" in some school texts, among other things.

The limits of the anti-2A propaganda experts, patterned after some Axis propagandists in world War II, have not yet been reached.

Lies are lies.

Terry, 230RN

REF (Among others):

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09/16/wait-until-you-see-how-a-high-school-textbook-summarizes-the-rights-granted-in-the-second-amendment/#
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 09:06:10 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 11:46:34 PM »
A lot of liberals & progressives have a problem with the phrase "the right of the people," for some reason ... perhaps thinking it ought to be tempered or modified, "or taken in proper context with" the "well regulated militia" part of the 2A.
Author Stephen Halbrook in his book That Every Man Be Armed examines and debunks the liberal interpretation of the 2A (essentially a "group rights" interpretation as opposed to an individual rights one).

Hey, I majored in English in college and I never "got" the "collective rights" concept either.

But then, Shakespeare and Chaucer provided no help at all with the 2A.  [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 12:08:26 AM »

Not so easy.  There is poor grammar and awkward sentence construction throughout.  It makes me think it's a false flag. Who would accept a grammar lesson from this guy?  Certainly not a lesson on constitutional law.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 01:06:56 AM »
you dummies

dont' you know that 9 of the 10 amendments refer to individuals, and the 2nd refers to a collective right?

Duh

*someone whispering in my ear*

I'm being told that freedom of speech only applies to CNN, also
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 08:09:52 AM »
you dummies

dont' you know that 9 of the 10 amendments refer to individuals, and the 2nd refers to a collective right?

Duh

*someone whispering in my ear*

I'm being told that freedom of speech only applies to CNN, also

:rofl:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 11:07:43 AM »
Not so easy.  There is poor grammar and awkward sentence construction throughout.*  It makes me think it's a false flag. Who would accept a grammar lesson from this guy?  Certainly not a lesson on constitutional law.

* Eeeyup.  Perhaps it is a false flag, but I still think his argument makes sense.
Halbrook's disection in That Every Man Be Armed is a little easier to follow, IMHO.
If it isn't a F.F. then I am a bit taken aback that someone who is capable of decomposing sentences and analyzing meanings doesn't do better at outright composing sentences.....   

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 09:49:49 PM »
Yeah, I do like his argument.  As to his sentence construction, permayhaps English is not his first language.  Someone may be able to look at something and grok how it works without having the aptitude to build something as elegant on their own.  Or, I can take a transmission apart just fine.  Couldn't put one together to save my life.  Still, his errors do detract from his demonstration.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.