Author Topic: Putin Bans US and Euro Imports  (Read 1641 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Putin Bans US and Euro Imports
« on: August 07, 2014, 10:31:41 AM »
In retaliation for sanctions. Was anyone not expecting this? If they thought they were gonna make the KGB guy who thrived during the days of Soviet food lines blink, well... naive.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/08/07/russia-blocks-agricultural-imports-from-western-countries-in-response-to/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: Putin Bans US and Euro Imports
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 10:57:40 AM »
Anyone know what Russia's domestic Ag production looks like?

Is this a situation of "the Peasants are going to starve while we see a 2% drop in exports" or "Russians are going to pay a little extra for beets, while the Eurozone looses 40% of their export market and crops rot in the fields"?

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 11:01:53 AM »
Yeah,I read it here:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28687172
There are some nifty charts.

This also,from the article.
"Russia is also banning Ukrainian airlines from transit across its territory, he said in televised comments to the government.

Furthermore, the Russian government is considering banning transit flights for EU and US airlines in retaliation for sanctions over Ukraine, he said.

Barring airlines from Siberian airspace would significantly increase costs and flying time for many jets bound for Asian destinations. "

I wonder how long before they have lines around the block for toilet paper again?
jeff w

I like onions!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 11:02:23 AM »
The USA's exports apparently account for only about 1% of agriculrural production - says Fox News this AM.

With the Ukraine still in doubt, the USSR Russia does  not have a lot of fall-back room if Globular Wormering takes hold this summer/fall or for some other reason the crops dry up.  Back in the day the USA kept the Ruskies alive with surplus corn and wheat (plus a few boatloads of welfare cheese each month).  Guess they are going to look to Cuba and Angola this year if things go south and the bans are still in place.

What's that German word?  Not "schadenfreude" but the other one that means the pleasure of anticipating shadenfreude.  I think I'm getting it, whatever the word is.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 11:06:06 AM »
Yeah,I read it here:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28687172
There are some nifty charts.

Those lists are percentages of export, not percentage of agricultural production.  Makes a big difference in computing just how big the sky that is falling really is.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 11:26:48 AM »
I think the Ukraine was the "breadbasket" of the USSR (and prior, hence the Ukrainians that died of starvation while Russia took their crops pre WW2). Kinda creates a situation FOR continued encroachment into Ukraine for Russia to secure food supplies.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 03:47:50 PM »
I think the Ukraine was the "breadbasket" of the USSR (and prior, hence the Ukrainians that died of starvation while Russia took their crops pre WW2). Kinda creates a situation FOR continued encroachment into Ukraine for Russia to secure food supplies.

Which kinda raises the question of whether or not The World will stand by and let it happen - again.

Pretty sure that the USA will not be doing airstrikes or anything else - unless you count strongly worded letters as "doing something".

I'm just curious to see what (if any) impact the ban on US/EU/Australian/Canadian/Danish food imports gets reported.  Part of me expects to see "Everything is wonderful" a la` the Norks when we were trying to ship rice there.

stay safe.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 04:08:54 PM »
Putin's a tough cookie, however he's not tougher than the combined weight of the various Russian oligarchs, if these sanctions create more financial pain for them than their sense of national pride will compensate for.
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 04:14:11 PM »
Putin's a tough cookie, however he's not tougher than the combined weight of the various Russian oligarchs, if these sanctions create more financial pain for them than their sense of national pride will compensate for.

I just don't think we'll see any real results with things like ag sanctions. Energy sanctions would be a different story, but KT McFarland makes good arguments about how the US has blown our ability to wield a big stick in that regard due to stuff like Keystone pipeline, etc., and Germany, the big Euro dog getting tons of energy from Russia, will likely not play the energy sanction game because they've painted themselves into a corner going overboard in the alternative energy game. They have no other good energy sources right now.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 04:35:30 PM »
I recall that in last quarters report, exports had a dramatic upsurge compared to the previous quarter. I haven't done the research, but I wonder how much of that increase was Russian?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought