Author Topic: Lightning strikes tree.  (Read 3181 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Lightning strikes tree.
« on: August 17, 2014, 05:46:28 PM »
I think this happened the night of 8/6. We had a storm come through and were woken up by a close strike. Didn't see this till this afternoon. I was finding strips of bark and hunks of wood 60-70 feet away.
Good size Oak tree, I'll get it for firewood when it cools off a little.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Lightning strikes tree.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 05:55:09 PM »
That would have been a forest fire here  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 06:01:41 PM »
That would have been a forest fire here  =(

I didn't see any charred bits from the ground. It was raining buckets when it happened, As wet as it was I don't think you could have lit off napalm that ngiht.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 07:08:57 PM »
I didn't see any charred bits from the ground. It was raining buckets when it happened, As wet as it was I don't think you could have lit off napalm that ngiht.

Yeah - eastern OK  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 07:10:16 PM »
Dayum!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 10:51:40 PM »
Lots of rapidly-expanding gas will do that, I guess.  <grin>

(True about the fire danger out west.)

Saw a tall pine tree on a hill get topped by a goodly stroke once.  I was actually watching for it to happen from my balcony.  Lightning all over the place, sounded like an artillery barrage.  There was quite an afterglow in the tree as the top fell off, but no actual fire.  

Retreated indoors, decided against taking a shower, as I had planned, but took a leak anyhow, then thought about the conductive stream of ion-loaded urine and what if...  Made the peeing harder, took longer.

Tree still looks like a truncated pyramid, ten years later.  

But I'm OK, not truncated.  Well, there was that little matter right after I was born, of course.

Terry

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 11:13:11 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

saltydog452

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 11:47:41 AM »
Slight shift but, maybe, a related question.

Wood is a non-conductor. So what path does the charge travel to get from the air to the ground?

Or, maybe it was a ground to air strike?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 11:54:23 AM »
Had a ~50ft pecan tree hit about 50 yards from a house I lived in a couple years ago.  The shock wave cracked several windows, and there were scuffs in the siding from pieces of wood hitting it.  Bark was scattered even farther.  Most of the wood damage was pretty high up in the tree, but it did strip a path of bark down to the ground.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 12:18:11 PM »
Wood is a non-conductor.

Wood is a poor conductor, especially when dry.

Given enough voltage (like 1.2 jiggawatts  :lol: ), it obviously does conduct.

I've seen a lot of trees that were hit by lightning while out working on wildfires.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 12:21:22 PM »
Wood, especially live wood, is not a non-conductor at those high voltages.  I had occasion once to watch a 10KV (14,000 peak Voltage)) oil burner ignition transformer start to burn a carbonized trace from a connection to its HV terminal through the seasoned wood bench top toward ground.  I shut it off right quick.

Sure, wood shows an "infinite" resistance to your ordinary multimeter, but that's only putting out, max, say, 9V from its battery.  And even in the old days, when wood was used in "breadboarding" circuits* at normal voltages (say, up to about 2-400 Volts) that was OK, but when you're talking millions of volts, the current will be enormous, especially through the live (sap-filled) trunk of a tree.  

I point out that you can buy what is called a "Hi-Pot" tester**, which is used to test for "microscopic" leakages in printed circuits, etc.  But these put out thousands of volts so that the tiny leakage currents can be sensed by the instrument and give you a readout.

So while well-seasoned wood can be pretty "nonconductive," it really isn't, and in the case of a blasted tree, much of the very large current mega-Amps) does indeed go through the internal wood of the tree causing instantaneous heating, causing instantaneous generation of lots of steam, which results in an explosive splitting of the wood.

Terry, 230RN

* An old-time "breadboarded" circuit. (Looks like a super-regenerative receiver circuit, but it's hard to tell.)  It is obvious where the term "breadboard" originated.

http://tangentsoft.net/elec/bitmaps/ab0cw-breadboard.jpg

** "Hi-Pot" stands for "High Potential."  Remember that "potential" is another word for "Voltage," much as "tension" is... as in "high tension power lines."

ETA Tallpine beat me to it.  Glad he put that smiley in after "jiggawatts."  Sort of like my "microscopic" leakages.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 03:11:10 PM by 230RN »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 10:16:35 PM »
A live tree has plenty of water in it to conduct. I've cut trees in the spring and summer and have had water dripping from the cut end. It's from the water/sap being more or less super heated and turned to steam in a few miliseconds that cause the tree to explode like that.

Samuel Adams

saltydog452

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 08:24:17 PM »
Got it.  Thanks.

I was thinking of a ground to air strike.  With that much voltage, I guess it wouldn't matter if the strike was ground to air or air to ground.

salty

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 12:23:56 AM »

Good size Oak tree, I'll get it for firewood when it cools off a little.

The weather or the tree?   :D
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 12:44:20 AM »
I'll get it for firewood when it cools off a little.

Dude, it'll just get hot when you burn it, so why bother?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 05:45:03 AM »
Thread necro.

Finally got around to cutting this up for firewood. Took my son in law out to help. He's a big fine strapping lad. I ran the saw and swung the splitting axe, he dragged brush and ran the hydro splitter and we both loaded the truck. . Cut and split it was a little over a cord.
Kids today, even with my iffy back I worked his ass into the ground.
Made this middle aged fat ass feel a little better. =D

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 04:38:57 AM »
Clarify:

I ran the saw and swung the splitting axe, he dragged brush and ran the hydro splitter

You had a powered splitter, yet you also split the logs manually?

(I don't mind necro threads at all, can't figure out why folks beotch about them.)

Terry

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 06:40:04 AM »
Clarify:

(I don't mind necro threads at all, can't figure out why folks beotch about them.)

Terry

Usually there is no real reason for a necro thread.  This one is ok because of the follow up.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 07:52:57 AM »
Clarify:

Terry

I've got a 22 ton hydro splitter. It works great but it's slow. On good straight stuff a man with a good axe that knows what he's doing can split a whole bunch faster. That and I still take a deep satisfaction in the process of swinging an axe.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 10:40:29 AM »
Thread necro.

Finally got around to cutting this up for firewood. Took my son in law out to help. He's a big fine strapping lad. I ran the saw and swung the splitting axe, he dragged brush and ran the hydro splitter and we both loaded the truck. . Cut and split it was a little over a cord.
Kids today, even with my iffy back I worked his ass into the ground.
Made this middle aged fat ass feel a little better. =D

He was just stroking your ego by goldbricking a little.  :rofl:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 02:16:05 PM »

Cut and split it was a little over a cord.

Pretty good haul from one tree. 

Oak is great firewood; makes our whole house nice and toasty.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 03:54:56 PM »
I've got a 22 ton hydro splitter. It works great but it's slow. On good straight stuff a man with a good axe that knows what he's doing can split a whole bunch faster. That and I still take a deep satisfaction in the process of swinging an axe.

Time to upgrade:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhmKBDIAXd0