Author Topic: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US  (Read 145933 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #101 on: October 03, 2014, 01:08:07 AM »
Under armed guard, no less.

Remember the whole swine flu scare back in what, oh, 2009? One of the guys I used to work with was one of the people who brought it to the US from Mexico- he had gone there on a spring break class trip and when they returned, several students were were sick. They were quarantined to their property by DHEC until it was confirmed that they were not a hazard. It's not often that you hear of a forcible quarantine in the US at least, but it does happen...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2014, 01:50:55 AM »
Well, now it's come down to this:

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/568394/20141002/hajj-pilgrims-ebola-saudi-arabia-mecca-liberia.htm

Saudi Arabia has announced it will be rejecting pilgrims from Ebola-stricken nations who want to observe the annual Hajj in Mecca. This is to reduce risks of the virus getting into the Muslim country.

According to The Guardian, Adel al-Faqih, Saudi health minister, said measures have been put into place to bar Muslim brothers from Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea to enter Saudi Arabia. ....

So far, no diagnosed case of Ebola has been seen among the pilgrims who are already within Saudi Arabia for the Hajj 2014. Medical personnel has been deployed in airports to continuously monitor the influx of travellers.

The decision to bar pilgrims from Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia has been coordinated with their respective governments. Visas to pilgrims from those countries will not be entertained, the Saudi government said, according to the same report.

The pilgrimage is highly regarded as mandatory duty for all Muslims to fulfill.

So does this have any effect on the faithful's ability to enter paradise?  Can they do an on-line virtual pilgrimage that will counts just as much as the real thing?

I'm all OK with the public health management part of the travel ban, but that evil part of my mind really, really wants to see this blow up into a Sunni/Shia fracas.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2014, 02:14:14 AM »
As I understand it the requirement is to make the Hajj if they are able to.  In this case, Muslims in Liberia, et all, are not able the make the trip.  So, for now, they get a pass from Allah on the requirement.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #104 on: October 03, 2014, 11:19:49 AM »
Given the close quarters and poor sanitation associated with the Hajj, ebola getting loose among the pilgrims would be a significant deal.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #105 on: October 03, 2014, 12:12:27 PM »
The reason Ebola Guy's apartment has armed LEOs outside and a court order for Ebola Guy's family not to leave the apartment is because Wednesday EG's peeps interpreted "quarantine" and "do not leave your apartment" as "send your kids to public school."

In this case, America is not a first world country dealing with ebola.
1. The outbreak took place in an enclave of third world immigrants.
2. The cleanup has been undertaken by third world (likely) illegal immigrants armed with pressure washers.

And the county, city, and school district gov'ts are half way to "Detroit" status.  Too much of America is trending third world.  We'll know how a first world outbreak occurs when it hits Bismarck, SD. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #106 on: October 03, 2014, 12:47:30 PM »
At least two third-world countries have already contained the virus.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #107 on: October 03, 2014, 12:49:42 PM »
Here's another one.  Maybe.   http://time.com/3461573/ebola-washington-dc/
"It's good, though..."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2014, 12:56:29 PM »

Using measures that wouldn't work very well here; how long, and how effectively do you think we could keep up the necessary level of travel restrictions and quarantines?

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2014, 01:00:48 PM »
This is what is scaring me -

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/delay-in-dallas-ebola-cleanup-as-workers-balk-at-task/ar-BB7aQWt

"...the sheets and dirty towels he used while sick remained in the home."

"The officials said it had been difficult to find a contractor willing to enter the apartment to clean it and remove bedding and clothes, which they said had been bagged in plastic."

Holy crap!  If it was me, the sheets and towels would have long since been subjected to boiling water and about a gallon of bleach!  Why are these people waiting around for a "contractor" to come in and clean up?  Seriously.  Put on some gloves and get to work!  I sure as hell wouldn't be waiting around for "a contractor."  

- Andrea
To the stars!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2014, 01:22:28 PM »
I'm quite frankly shocked that the fed.gov isn't handling it themselves.  Waiting for a contractor to clean up the mess?  Just seems so odd. 

My solution?  Dumpster placed just outside the apartment.  Throw the things in the dumpster.  Drag it to the nearest open area.  Hazmat crew pours gasoline in, and burns it all.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2014, 01:26:52 PM »
Holy crap!  If it was me, the sheets and towels would have long since been subjected to boiling water and about a gallon of bleach!  Why are these people waiting around for a "contractor" to come in and clean up?  Seriously.  Put on some gloves and get to work!  I sure as hell wouldn't be waiting around for "a contractor."

Bleach in cold water.  Boiling water for the rinse after the bleach has worked itself out.

Bleach in hot water on thick bio-goo will only sterilize the outer layer before it starts losing potency.

Anybody know how much they're offering on this contract?  Might be worth the drive.

My solution?  Dumpster placed just outside the apartment.  Throw the things in the dumpster.  Drag it to the nearest open area.  Hazmat crew pours gasoline in, and burns it all.

Nah, just lay it all out on the sidewalk and hose it off.  It can join up with the vomit and pressure washer runoff in the storm drains that lead to White Rock Creek, then to WR Lake, then to the Trinity River, and on down to Galveston Bay.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2014, 01:33:50 PM »
Vaccine shipments being delayed by bureaucracy

All we really need to do now is to vaccinate people faster than the rate of new infections.

Soon the struggle will be between the virus' ability to spread, and Western Civilization's ability to mass-produce.

Do you think that they're delaying the vaccine shipments to give ebola a fair fight?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2014, 01:36:26 PM »

They are not handicapped by PC bullshinola.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2014, 01:37:54 PM »
Are you seriously arguing that Nigeria and Senegal have better-organized health and emergency response systems than the United States of America?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2014, 01:47:24 PM »
Are you seriously arguing that Nigeria and Senegal have better-organized health and emergency response systems than the United States of America?

In regards to containing the spread of this one disease?  Yes.  (That may have something to do with their military having both the experience and willingness to shoot civilians who will not obey containment/isolation orders.)

Maybe not so much in treatment of this one disease.  But then our system also seems to be based on isolation, and then waiting it out to see if the patient recovers or not.  Yes, two folks got unobtanium-grade experimental vaccines that may or may not have had any impact on their survival, but Nigeria and Senegal have used witch doctors which may be just as effective as the vaccines.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2014, 01:50:46 PM »
I'm going to be bold and assert that The Western World (TM) will have totally defeated, and contained, Ebola both within "Western" countries and in Africa, within a year at the most.

Casualties in the US will be under 100-200 men, excluding people who will travel to the actual countries the disease is widespread to treat it.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2014, 01:54:31 PM »
In regards to containing the spread of this one disease?  Yes.  (That may have something to do with their military having both the experience and willingness to shoot civilians who will not obey containment/isolation orders.)

Not to mention that the vast majority of their people don't own a means of travelling a thousand miles in a day, nor could they do so without crossing international borders.  Even from north central Texas, I can hop in my car and be in any of four other states before I have to sleep.  There are no preexisting roadblock/checkpoints along any of those routes, and even if there were, the number of backroads bypassing the main routes would make it well nigh impossible to stop vehicle traffic short of using aircraft to attack any vehicle crossing whatever demarcations you're using.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #118 on: October 03, 2014, 01:59:34 PM »
So you're actually arguing that abject poverty and tyranny are actually an advantage in terms of stopping contagious disease?

MicroBalrog

• friend

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #120 on: October 03, 2014, 02:59:50 PM »
So you're actually arguing that abject poverty and tyranny are actually an advantage in terms of stopping contagious disease?

In the form of slow, difficult, carefully regulated travel, and damn few reasons to travel even if you could, (not like they're going to go spend a weekend in their timeshare at the Hamptons or hang out at Disneyland) absolutely.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #121 on: October 03, 2014, 03:04:23 PM »
In the form of slow, difficult, carefully regulated travel, and damn few reasons to travel even if you could, (not like they're going to go spend a weekend in their timeshare at the Hamptons or hang out at Disneyland) absolutely.

Also the local gov't gun-toters are unhampered by PC.  Thus they can close borders, close off towns/neighborhoods, impose curfews, atc.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #122 on: October 03, 2014, 03:05:30 PM »

There's a very good reason to travel if you live in Ebola Land.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #123 on: October 03, 2014, 04:07:57 PM »
Hazmat  ??? crew arrives to take away bagged linens & clean apartment

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/277982741.html

Check out the pictures.  The personal protective gear must have been specially designed so as to not cause a panic among the public.

Moar betterer picture at http://abcnews.go.com/Health/meet-crew-charge-cleaning-ebola-patients-apartment/story?id=25942099

When I first saw the pictures I actually said "Whut da ...." out loud.

Compare that to this woman who cared for her ebola-stricken family by herself - and managed to save two out of three of them.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/25/health/ebola-fatu-family/index.html

Now tell me who has the better handle on dealing with ebola.

stay safe.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2014, 04:15:03 PM »
There's a very good reason to travel if you live in Ebola Land.

There are also very good reasons for the folks in Ebola Land, as well as everybody in Not Ebola Land, to prevent you from traveling.

Among other things (which has nothing to do with why travel should be restricted) is the fact that getting essential supplies (food, water, source of heat for cooking) is actually easier in Ebola Land than it would be in the First World.  Stay home, stay away from people, and in 21-45 days it might be safe(r) to come out of your house again.

stay safe.