Author Topic: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US  (Read 145869 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2014, 01:06:30 AM »
Hopefully the new z30 min test they claim is coming will help. Anyone know what the current testing requires?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2014, 02:19:49 AM »
I don't like the fact this guy apparently was ill with symptoms of flu, went to the hospital, then was sent home for a few days and later admitted in a very sick state. The opportunities for spreading the infection were present.

The truth is, neither the  "OMG we are are all gonna die" camp or the "don't be a hysterical rumor monger" camps have a clue- we just don't know. Yet.

The problem I have is that the official lying and obfuscation have grown to be SOP.
 There is no gov. info  anybody can really trust.

Yep, this. 

If there was real reason to un-ass DFW, we would have the same rat bastard bureaucritters claiming there was no threat, no risk, blah blah bullshit blah.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2014, 02:47:59 AM »
I read that a number of people in Africa were dying because they either were too afraid to go to a hospital, or the hospital was so overwhelmed by Ebola cases that they were turned away and so didn't get treatment for mundane ailments.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2014, 02:50:14 AM »
Never let a crisis go to waste.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2014, 03:09:22 AM »
Never let a crisis go to waste.

What does Winston Churchill have to do with Ebola?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2014, 07:10:20 AM »
explosive vests would make the body fluids rather air transmissable

:'(

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

roo_ster

• friend
Re: Re: Re: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2014, 07:48:34 AM »
I read that a number of people in Africa were dying because they either were too afraid to go to a hospital, or the hospital was so overwhelmed by Ebola cases that they were turned away and so didn't get treatment for mundane ailments.
Hospitals are where ebola really gets going in africa.  The various strains of ebola go from approx 25pct fatal to 90pct fatal even with first world medical intervention.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Re: Re: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2014, 08:48:32 AM »
Hospitals are where ebola really gets going in africa.  The various strains of ebola go from approx 25pct fatal to 90pct fatal even with first world medical intervention.

What I have read that they are separate species of ebolavirus, not strains.

A strain would be a modified species, such as if Zaire ebolavirus mutates with a stronger protein coat and can live for hours outside the host, then it would called Zaire ebolavirus xyz  (xyz would be the name given to the strain, usually the discoverer or location 1st found). Genetically the strain matches the species but is different in that a couple genes may be expressed or not.

Flu is usually strains since it a the same species of the flu virus, just has different genes turned on, this is why some years of the flu outbreaks are worse than others. Think Darwinism.

Easiest way is to think of corn, Zea mays and all the different non GMO Hybrids that are available. Each non GMO plant is slightly different though inbred single cross breeding, but still will test as corn. GMO corn, each plant could be looked at a different species since genetic material has been added to the germ plasm to get the plant to have traits that would not occurred in corn no matter how you crossed it, such as herbicide resistant or producing Bt (rootworm control).
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brimic

• friends
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2014, 08:55:12 AM »
Easiest way is to think of corn, Zea mays and all the different non GMO Hybrids that are available. Each non GMO plant is slightly different though inbred single cross breeding, but still will test as corn. GMO corn, each plant could be looked at a different species since genetic material has been added to the germ plasm to get the plant to have traits that would not occurred in corn no matter how you crossed it, such as herbicide resistant or producing Bt (rootworm control).

Not to nitpick... but your definition of 'species' is muddled. Differential gene expression =/= different species.
But if a gmo corn is able to crossbreed with a non-gmo corn and produce fertile offspring, its still the same species, regardless of the other traits of the offspring.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2014, 08:59:25 AM »
Not to nitpick...
But if a gmo corn is able to crossbreed with a non-gmo corn and produce fertile offspring, its still the same species, regardless of the other traits of the offspring.

I said could be.

Also lions and tiger can bred and produce an offspring. They are separate species.

Also wolves and dogs/coyotes and dogs/wolves and coyotes can breed with each other, they are separate species.

Same with black bears and brown bears. Horses and donkeys.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2014, 10:38:18 AM »
Except ligers, and mules are almost always sterile.

The wolf/coyote/dog mixes are fertile, but they are still same genus (Canis) and the difference between lupines, domesticus and wilyus is very small, and not especially significant to breeding.

Not sure about brown/black bears, but polar bears are more like a breed of brown bear so they can interbreed same as German Shepherds and Chows.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2014, 10:55:12 AM »
I am reminded of the folks trying to hang the recent enterovirus outbreak on the "brown hordes" . When in fact it was identified in the 60's in California
Interestingly enough, authorities are refusing to identify the infected person's nationality or age. Hmmm . . . http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/ap_0df7248061c142deaa3df064cb2e3263
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2014, 11:05:49 AM »
Interestingly enough, authorities are refusing to identify the infected person's nationality or age. Hmmm . . . http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/ap_0df7248061c142deaa3df064cb2e3263

They already let the cat out of the bag earlier in the week.  Easy enough to read between the lines.  Came from Liberia to visit family.  Duh, he's Liberian.  Age is irrelevant.  Victim's identity being withheld isn't some great conspiracy....last thing that needs to happen is some paranoid nutters to firebomb the families house.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2014, 11:43:54 AM »
I said could be.

Also lions and tiger can bred and produce an offspring. They are separate species.

Also wolves and dogs/coyotes and dogs/wolves and coyotes can breed with each other, they are separate species.

Same with black bears and brown bears. Horses and donkeys.

Dogs and cats living together! Won't somebody please think of the children?!?!?!?!

Oh sorry, I got my panics mixed up. Carry on.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2014, 11:56:32 AM »
They already let the cat out of the bag earlier in the week.  Easy enough to read between the lines.  Came from Liberia to visit family.  Duh, he's Liberian.  Age is irrelevant.  Victim's identity being withheld isn't some great conspiracy....last thing that needs to happen is some paranoid nutters to firebomb the families house.

Exactly, It's called HIPAA, they couldn't legally say anything about the U.S. Aid Doctor who was the first to be transported to Atlanta, even though everyone already knew who he was...
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2014, 12:16:59 PM »
second case reported in texas

DALLAS — Due to close contact with a patient diagnosed with the Ebola virus, a second person is under the close monitoring of health officials as a possible second patient, said the director of Dallas County's health department Wednesday morning in an interview with WFAA.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2014, 12:21:09 PM »
second case reported in texas

DALLAS — Due to close contact with a patient diagnosed with the Ebola virus, a second person is under the close monitoring of health officials as a possible second patient, said the director of Dallas County's health department Wednesday morning in an interview with WFAA.

That's not a second case, that's a person who was potentially exposed being monitored. It may turn into a second case, but is not right now.

Looks like the ambulance crew who transported him has checked out clean, but are still under quarantine for 3 weeks.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/health/chi-ebola-in-america-20141001-story.html

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2014, 12:48:34 PM »
So what are you going to do? Seal the your house with duct tape and refuse to come out?

Sealing off Dallas with a few million yards of plastic and duct tape sounds like a good start.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2014, 12:55:55 PM »

Besides, that's government's job.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2014, 12:58:08 PM »
Besides, that's government's job.

Why, are they Christians who like guns? Fed.gov only burns white conservative Christians to death, they can't be raciss about that.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2014, 02:18:47 PM »
I am reminded of the folks trying to hang the recent enterovirus outbreak on the "brown hordes" . When in fact it was identified in the 60's in California

You left out the follow on sentence. 

Compared with other enteroviruses, it has been rarely reported in the U.S. in the past 40 years.
   Plus that there have been 472 cases in 41 states with 3 deaths.   But we'll just leave out the facts that don't fit the narrative.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

• friends
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2014, 02:34:27 PM »
More details on that narrative
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6038a1.htm

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2014, 02:36:10 PM »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2014, 03:04:27 PM »
We got West Nile and Chikungunya reported where I live, hasn't slowed life down yet.

Mmmmm...   Chicken Gunya... [/Homer]
"It's good, though..."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2014, 03:32:07 PM »
CS&D not sure what point you are trying to make, but the CDC reports 34 cases of HEV68 in 2009 and 5 in 2010.   There have been 472 this years.  I'd call that statically significant.

The thing is we don't have any population data on these patients  (Simple things like Citizen or not) to draw any conclusions.

So what, exactly, is the point you that are trying to make?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.