Author Topic: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US  (Read 145876 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2014, 03:42:24 PM »
Interestingly enough, authorities are refusing to identify the infected person's nationality or age. Hmmm . . . http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/ap_0df7248061c142deaa3df064cb2e3263

Britain's Daily Mail is more obliging:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2775608/CDC-confirms-Dallas-patient-isolation-testing-returning-region-plagued-Ebola-HAS-deadly-virus.html

The Ebola patient was named today as Thomas Eric Duncan, who had traveled to the U.S. from Liberia on September 20 to visit family

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2014, 03:50:33 PM »
A lot of other forums are exploding with reports of facebook profiles belonging to people of that name. Especially in light of the witch hunting that has gone on in the past for people who are totally innocent but have the same name as a high profile criminal, I don't have an issue with the feds suppressing the victims identity. I pray no one with a name similar to mine ever gets an exotic illness or commits a serious crime, even though I try to keep my social media presence locked down as much as possible.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2014, 03:58:59 PM »
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2014/10/cdc_dallas_ebola.php

Learn something new every day.

Today in multiple stories, our only and always comforting local daily, The Dallas Morning News, reiterates the official public line of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control: that physical contact with a person suffering symptoms of Ebola disease is the only mechanism of transmission by which the Ebola virus can infect a human being.

That's not untrue. But it falls short of the full truth.

A more careful look at the CDC's own pronouncements and at recent research in respected journals shows that "viable" (living) Ebola virus can survive for days on surfaces outside the body. And it shows that little is known about the ability of "environmental" (outside the body) Ebola virus to infect.

The Canadian bulletin is based in part on research published in 2010 in the Journal of Applied Microbiology, which found that Zaire Ebola virus, "can survive for long periods in different liquid media and can also be recovered from plastic and glass surfaces at low temperatures for over 3 weeks."

In Africa, there is little chance of the "cold" bit.  

Another CDC bulletin, "Interim Guidance for Environmental Infection Control in Hospitals for Ebola Virus," says, "Ebola on dried on surfaces such as doorknobs and countertops can survive for several hours."

It's notable that the CDC's own protocols -- aggressive decontamination or incineration of materials that have come in contact with an infectious person -- seem to assume that a viable virus on fomites is a risk.

Hospitals are one thing. What about homes? A 2007 article in The Journals of Infectious Diseases concluded that disinfection protocols in dedicated hospital isolation wards probably kill off any virus that may have escaped to a surface, but the same article also said, "The risk from environmental contamination and fomites might vary in the household or other settings where decontamination would be less frequent and thorough, especially if linens or other household materials were to become visibly soiled by blood."

Ebola: Hothouse plant that dies off outside a greenhouse (human host)?  Or more like kudzu?

Quote from: simpsonsbackwhenitwasgood
Skinner: Well, I was wrong; the lizards are a godsend.
Lisa: But isn't that a bit short-sighted? What happens when we're overrun by lizards?
Skinner: No problem. We simply release wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes. They'll wipe out the lizards.
Lisa: But aren't the snakes even worse?
Skinner: Yes, but we're prepared for that. We've lined up a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat.
Lisa: But then we're stuck with gorillas!
Skinner: No, that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.

==================

And this:

Dallas ISD Puts Parents on High Alert for Ebola Symptoms as CDC Monitors Five Students
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2014/10/dallas_isd_ebola.php

Early this morning, Dallas ISD received word from the Center for Disease Control that five district students have been exposed to the Ebola virus. The students attend Emmett Conrad High School, Sam Tasby Middle School, Dan Rogers Elementary, and Hotchkiss Elementary. Jack Lowe Elementary, which is located close to Tasby and Conrad High, is also being closely monitored.

The five students have been identified as within the patient's immediate family circle. They are being kept at home for the 21-day incubation cycle of the virus, but are not being quarantined. While CDC and local health officials are in close interaction with the families, they will be allowed to leave their homes until or if they exhibit symptoms.

That puts Mr Vibrant Ebola's residence in what is locally known as "The DMZ," a neighborhood chock full of third world immigrants near the local light rail station (W), the area's big indoor mall (Northpark, farther W), and a shopping complex with Sams, Walmart, JC Penny, and others(S).  Across the highway (W) from the DMZ is some high-dollar neighborhoods. Mr Vibrant Ebola was taken to the nearest emergency room (N) on the north border of the DMZ.

The DMZ is referred to as "Vickery Meadow" in the article.

The schools are located in the Vickery Meadow neighborhood, an ethnically diverse area with a high immigrant population, including many immigrants and refugees from Africa. "We're going to reassure people face-to-face and in close proximity that they're okay. That's one of the best ways that you are going to be okay," Judge Clay Jenkins said. "People are from many different countries and speak 33 different languages, and many people are going to be very afraid."

"And, uh, we want to get eyes on as many folk as possible to see if they are symptomatic."

Map of the area:
http://goo.gl/maps/trmFt

Oh, and Presby Dallas is not the first place one thinks of in DFW when one thinks, "OMG, I think I am dying from tropical disease."  They just got lucky to be so close, I guess.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2014, 04:04:33 PM »
Given that he was a Liberian visiting family, makes sense it hit in a heavily immigrant area. Given that African immigrants are not typically coming in on higher level visas to be well paid programmers or doctors, makes senses it's a poor neighborhood.

I wonder what the local cultural norms are? Lots of physical affections, close bond between families that results in lots of interactions? I think the potential to spread would be determined largely by factors such as those.

I hope none of those poor kids get sick.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2014, 05:06:33 PM »
That puts Mr Vibrant Ebola's residence in what is locally known as "The DMZ," a neighborhood chock full of third world immigrants near the local light rail station (W), the area's big indoor mall (Northpark, farther W), and a shopping complex with Sams, Walmart, JC Penny, and others(S).  Across the highway (W) from the DMZ is some high-dollar neighborhoods. Mr Vibrant Ebola was taken to the nearest emergency room (N) on the north border of the DMZ.

You forgot the flagship Half Price Books a bit to the south, and some upper-middle-and-up neighborhoods along the White Rock Trail to the east.  Lots of people go to and through that neighborhood for commerce, and it's a popular stop for downtown-to-points-north commuters both by US75 and the rail line so it would be a hell of a place for an outbreak.

Animal vectors would be another consideration; the restaurant up on Greenville near Pineland (? - place with a huge outdoor deck overlooking the creek) used to have amazingly large herds of raccoons chasing dropped food under the deck, and a lot of the area coons were pretty sociable, taking food from your hand or allowing themselves to be petted.  Never heard of any scratch or bite issues, but if they could carry a virus, that's another possible way to get it beyond the initial hosts.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2014, 11:50:06 PM »
Timeline of Mr Vibrant Ebola / Thomas Eric Duncan from when he left Monrovia, Liberia up to now and some associated issues.

Ebola in Dallas: What We Know So Far
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2014/10/ebola_in_dallas_what_we_know_so_far.php

September 20: Liberian national Thomas Eric Duncan arrives in Dallas from Monrovia, Liberia via Brussels. Duncan made an intervening stop at Dulles International Airport near Washington D.C..

There is more...

Suspected location of Duncan's residence:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ivy+Apartments/@32.8767762,-96.7513841,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x864e9ff32259865f:0x5c045cc13ee77325
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 11:53:29 PM by roo_ster »
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2014, 11:59:06 PM »
At the State Fair of Texas, Big Tex is sporting the latest fashions.

Given Big Tex's recent brush with death, who can blame the guy?
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2014, 12:34:46 AM »
Possible case reported in Hawaii. Yet no test administered yet? Is there a reason why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2014, 11:10:20 AM »
Possible case reported in Hawaii. Yet no test administered yet? Is there a reason why?

My assumption would be that it's sort of like those times when I know my account might be overdrawn, so I put off looking at the actual balance as long as possible.  As long as the test hasn't been done, they can still say it's unconfirmed.

• friends
« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2014, 11:20:24 AM »
I am hoping that it's one of those deals where they can't test till you reach a certain level of infection or symptoms. It's hard because so many of the early symptoms are similar to flu early on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2014, 12:29:09 PM »
On the bad side, the dude was puking on the street before he went to the hospital. On the good side, still no (reported) cases among the people thought to be in contact with him.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/01/us-health-ebola-usa-idUSKCN0HP2F720141001

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2014, 12:36:49 PM »
Interesting interview with the guy who discovered Ebola. I thought it especially relevant as he echoes a number of the things we've been discussing here: this round is different than previous outbreaks, the risk in 1st world countries is low, in Nigerian slums it's very dangerous, if it gets to India they're screwed.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/interview-with-peter-piot-discoverer-of-the-ebola-virus-a-993111.html

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2014, 02:38:48 PM »

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2014, 03:20:59 PM »
Farrakhan is adding a calm, rational voice to the discussion as he always does.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/10/02/farrakhan-claims-ebola-invented-to-kill-off-blacks/

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2014, 03:29:05 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/10/02/farrakhan-claims-ebola-invented-to-kill-off-blacks/

Well, that explains why the white doctor pulled through; they must have just given him a spoonful of mayo and dressed him in polo shirts until his whiteness had fully reasserted itself and sent the virus out to look for some fried chicken and watermelon.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2014, 03:32:11 PM »
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2014, 03:50:54 PM »
Well, that explains why the white doctor pulled through; they must have just given him a spoonful of mayo and dressed him in polo shirts until his whiteness had fully reasserted itself and sent the virus out to look for some fried chicken and watermelon.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That has to be about the funniest thing I have ever seen on APS.

Side note, I had better stay away from soul food until this is over, or I might get the Ebola

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2014, 04:16:53 PM »
Farrakhan is adding a calm, rational voice to the discussion as he always does.

He simply could have quoted Dr. Cyril Broderick, (Tenured) Assistant Prof. of Plant Pathology at Delaware State University.

http://www.liberianobserver.com/security/ebola-aids-manufactured-western-pharmaceuticals-us-dod

TL;DR:  What the Atlanta Journal-Constitution says about the letter sums things up nicely: http://newstome.blog.ajc.com/2014/09/30/professor-says-u-s-military-created-ebola/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2014, 04:18:14 PM »
I'm screwed.  I LOVE fried chicken and watermelon.  And I ate chicken & waffles the other day.  

Quote from: deuce_bigelow_european_gigolo
   Deuce Bigalow [Rob Schneider]: T.J., I'm so glad you are here.

T.J. Hicks [Eddie Griffin]: How did you find me?

Deuce Bigalow: Well, this seemed like the only chicken and waffles place in all of Holland.

T.J. Hicks: Ohhh, so the black guy has to go to a chicken and waffles place, that's Racist!

Deuce Bigalow: But you're here.

T.J. Hicks: Yeah, but figuring it out was racist.

Heck, I am even in a mentoring program to teach me rhythm how to properly cook ribs over a wood fire.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2014, 08:45:45 PM »
Meanwhile potentially around 100 people may have come in contact with this gentleman while he was contagious.

I'm sure all these links to how 'it can't happen here' and how 'we are so much better prepared' are very comforting to those now staring at the specter of having contracted Ebola.

:facepalm: read about the comedy of errors played out by and in the first world...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/03/us/dallas-ebola-case-thomas-duncan-contacts.html

Not advancing to a pandemic is cold comfort to those who may eventually end up with the disease here stateside.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 09:05:27 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2014, 11:21:18 PM »
https://twitter.com/wfaachannel8/status/517739906211528704

http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/196033/
UM, CALL ME CRAZY, BUT cleaning up Ebola vomit with a pressure washer seems like a lousy idea, with droplets blown into air and such. Note the absence of protective gear. Note woman in sandals standing next to runoff. Maybe they’d hosed everything down with bleach first. Somebody please tell me this isn’t as bad as it looks. . . .

No worries, Mr Reynolds.  In the night, a pack of coyotes licked most of it up and then they retired to the creek bed to the south to roam all over the north texas river waterways (AKA "Critter Highways"). 
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2014, 11:47:25 PM »