Author Topic: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US  (Read 145885 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2014, 04:32:58 PM »
We don't have to get ebola here. It doesn't spread worth crap, but panic does. I'm guessing DC/Metro area just made a run on Trader Joe's. Any random sniffle will be hereafter regarded as the fifth sparkly pony of the apocalypse.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2014, 05:13:15 PM »
We don't have to get ebola here. It doesn't spread worth crap, but panic does. I'm guessing DC/Metro area just made a run on Trader Joe's. Any random sniffle will be hereafter regarded as the fifth sparkly pony of the apocalypse.

Yup.

Also, this is the worst partisan hack job I have ever seen. Just... astounding. http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/the-nra-making-the-ebola-crisis-worse
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #127 on: October 03, 2014, 05:37:06 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/texas-hospital-blames-records-flaw-reason-ebola-patient/story?id=25912405

It is all the fault of the hospital's electronic medical record.  The travel history taken by the ER nurse was not seen by the physician.

The hospital said in a statement today that the physician and the nurses followed protocol, but his travel history didn't automatically appear in the physician's standard workflow.

"The documentation of the travel history was located in the nursing workflow portion of the EHR, and was designed to provide a high reliability nursing process to allow for the administration of influenza vaccine under a physician-delegated standing order," read the statement. "As designed, the travel history would not automatically appear in the physician’s standard workflow."

The hospital said it has since relocated the travel history documentation so that it is part of both workflows.

"We have made this change to increase the visibility and documentation of the travel question in order to alert all providers," read the statement. "We feel that this change will improve the early identification of patients who may be at risk for communicable diseases, including Ebola."

As we say in the biz, oops!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #128 on: October 03, 2014, 06:06:45 PM »
It is all the fault of the hospital's electronic medical record.  The travel history taken by the ER nurse was not seen by the physician.

Seems to me some things should pop an alert in every screen.  Recent presence in a hot zone would be high on that list.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #129 on: October 03, 2014, 08:14:48 PM »
How about ACTUALLY TELLING EVERYONE,  YOU KNOW. .. LIKE "VERBALLY"?

:facepalm:
I promise not to duck.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #130 on: October 03, 2014, 08:28:54 PM »
Read today that folks he worked with claim he knew he was sick and thats why he headed to the us. If true thats a game changer or at least should be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #131 on: October 03, 2014, 08:55:13 PM »
Yup.

Also, this is the worst partisan hack job I have ever seen. Just... astounding. http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/the-nra-making-the-ebola-crisis-worse

Wow. But not surprising given the lead author of the article. She is a nutball.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #132 on: October 03, 2014, 09:19:13 PM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #133 on: October 03, 2014, 10:06:10 PM »
Call and raise:

brimic

• friends
« Reply #134 on: October 04, 2014, 10:07:00 PM »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #135 on: October 04, 2014, 10:16:58 PM »

Runoff -> storm drain -> White Rock Creek

About 2mi downstream is where a lot of folks like to fish for carp and catfish too.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #136 on: October 04, 2014, 10:54:11 PM »
Runoff -> storm drain -> White Rock Creek

About 2mi downstream is where a lot of folks like to fish for carp and catfish too.

and you'd have better odds of winning the powerball over getting Ebola that way.  :facepalm:

Uranus is a gas giant.

• friends
« Reply #137 on: October 04, 2014, 11:01:10 PM »
And that was them power washing the whole complex.  4 days later. What's the survival time for a virus? In the sun?
It did get the helicopter crew some zomg cred though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #138 on: October 04, 2014, 11:49:48 PM »
Problem with all the focus on this one case is simple- it is one case. I am not impressed with the handling of it.

As of right now, the best survival strategy for any ebola infected African is get themselves into the US by any means possible.

Whether or not this disease proves to be a flash in the pan or a world wide pandemic remains to be seen- but the possibility is not zero that a catastrophe could occur.

I will wait six months and see- by then, we will know.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2014, 12:06:33 AM »
A lot of what I'm reading here sounds like whistling past the grave yard.

Like the Obama administration they are sooo sure.

Strike one just occurred in Texas; multiple breakdowns in the system. Nothing so far that has happened inspires confidence.

I hope the doomsayers are wrong and the Pollyannas are right.

Right now, personally, I'm skeptical and pessimistic.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2014, 01:51:36 AM »
and you'd have better odds of winning the powerball over getting Ebola that way.  :facepalm:

Yeah the real danger is pressurewasher guy and bystanders getting virus blasted onto them or inhaling it after it aerosolizes from hitting it with a high pressure water jet.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

• friends

• friends

• friends
« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2014, 02:10:07 AM »
As to the guy in Texas if in fact he came here knowing he was sick I'd favor a quick trial and capital punishment if he makes it.  To discourage the others. Make it less popular an idea. I think of that kinda response as " Chinese style"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #144 on: October 05, 2014, 08:55:05 AM »
Yeah the real danger is pressurewasher guy and bystanders getting virus blasted onto them or inhaling it after it aerosolizes from hitting it with a high pressure water jet.

One would hope that the pressure washer had antiviral mixed with the stream, but risk is still pretty low with Ebola. Really not a tough virus outside of bodily fluids, which is a good thing.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #145 on: October 05, 2014, 09:05:41 AM »
As to the guy in Texas if in fact he came here knowing he was sick I'd favor a quick trial and capital punishment if he makes it.  To discourage the others. Make it less popular an idea. I think of that kinda response as " Chinese style"

Send him home. High altitude repatriation.  Fly over at 30,000 ft and drop him out.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #146 on: October 05, 2014, 10:14:51 AM »
Charge him full cash price for his medical care. Since he probably doesn't have it, deduct the cash amount from the money we undoubtedly give Liberia in Aid. (We spent in on aiding their citizen after all). Fly him to the Liberian Embassy,  and drop him off with the bill and explanation.

That way the hospital gets paid, it's a zero sum game for the US taxpayers,  and Liberia can decide if this kind of subcontracting is worth the cash cost.

• friends
Re:
« Reply #147 on: October 05, 2014, 10:20:33 AM »
I like that though  the precedent is tricky

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #148 on: October 05, 2014, 12:30:25 PM »
The way I see it working out is that since the Liberian gov plans to prosecute him when he gets back he claims racial persecution and Obama gives him political asylum.  :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #149 on: October 05, 2014, 12:39:37 PM »
From the sounds of things all of the talk of sending him back, prosecuting him, etc will bee a moot point in a few days or so. They can send his ashes home though. Which brings up another issue, do we burn them whole or do some sort of body prep, and who will be doing it?

bob