Author Topic: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US  (Read 145902 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #175 on: October 08, 2014, 10:12:40 AM »
Looks like their being nursing assistants they had an idea of what was going on and used good practices in protecting themselves.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #176 on: October 08, 2014, 10:17:00 AM »
Ms Jallah whose contact with Mr Duncan - who remains in a critical condition - was far more intimate and prolonged than that of her husband, told MailOnline on Monday: 'The CDC came yesterday. They said I can go back to work but I do not know what I will do. I will not go back yet.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2782694/Ebola-victim-s-stepdaughter-took-hospital-vomiting-wildly-given-clear-return-work-nursing-assitant.html

She sounds like the only smart person involved.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #177 on: October 08, 2014, 11:18:12 AM »
The Spanish government got a court order to euthanize the Ebola infected nurse's dog. Have there been reported cases in dogs in Africa or anywhere? There doesn't seem to be any indication that the dog is showing symptoms - more of a "scorched Earth" policy.

http://twitchy.com/2014/10/08/summary-ebola-is-really-really-hard-to-catch-but-lets-kill-this-spanish-nurses-dog-just-to-be-safe/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #178 on: October 08, 2014, 11:32:39 AM »
The Spanish government got a court order to euthanize the Ebola infected nurse's dog. Have there been reported cases in dogs in Africa or anywhere? There doesn't seem to be any indication that the dog is showing symptoms - more of a "scorched Earth" policy.

http://twitchy.com/2014/10/08/summary-ebola-is-really-really-hard-to-catch-but-lets-kill-this-spanish-nurses-dog-just-to-be-safe/

Dogs can carry it without symptoms.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/10/02/ebola-fido/

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #179 on: October 08, 2014, 11:33:51 AM »
Looks like Dallas patient just died.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #180 on: October 08, 2014, 11:38:17 AM »
^^^ Yep, I was just coming to post this. Died at 0751 Dallas time.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #181 on: October 08, 2014, 12:17:28 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/ebola-patient-thomas-eric-duncan-dies-at-dallas-hospital-201613535.html  IN the nooz now.  I hope they plaster that all over the Liberian news papers.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2014, 03:00:08 PM »
So if Ebola is found in one person in your current city and your boss is requiring you to go to work or lose you job, what will you do?

Whatever he does.  If Bossman stays home from the plague, I stay home.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #183 on: October 08, 2014, 03:18:28 PM »
Oh boy. This is not good. I hope they are wrong.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/?lead=frisco-patient-exhibiting-ebola-symptoms

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #184 on: October 08, 2014, 03:23:24 PM »
It was essentially impossible there would be no other cases. Until the number is high double or low triple digits, and getting transmitted through casual contact then it's not likely to be a significant problem.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #185 on: October 08, 2014, 03:32:01 PM »

Hopefully it's a false alarm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #186 on: October 08, 2014, 03:54:33 PM »
Hopefully it's a false alarm

Most have been.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #187 on: October 08, 2014, 04:03:09 PM »
Amen to that too. And I am ok with error on the side of caution

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #188 on: October 08, 2014, 05:28:49 PM »

The Apocalypse Masturbators over at ZeroHedge are going nuts.

It was essentially impossible there would be no other cases. Until the number is high double or low triple digits, and getting transmitted through casual contact then it's not likely to be a significant problem.

Pretty much this.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #189 on: October 08, 2014, 05:45:37 PM »
Amen to that too. And I am ok with error on the side of caution

Sgt Monning's son, Logan Monning, told CBS that his father had woken up with 'stomach issues' and had gone to the clinic as a precaution.
Logan said their family had been told that their father was at no risk of the virus, as he had only been in the apartment for 30 minutes and had not come in contact with bodily fluids.

Go into a room where someone has been spewing from both ends for a couple days, and try to stand there for 30 minutes without touching anything their bodily fluids might have gotten on.  Unless you're standing in the middle of the room with your hands in your pockets, it's going to be a bit difficult.  (Don't forget that most people handle their shoes when taking them off or putting them on.)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #190 on: October 08, 2014, 05:59:58 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/remains-ebola-victim-thomas-eric-duncan-handled/story?id=26048687

A protocol for handling the body of someone dead from Ebola.  Not that different than handling the body of someone who has died from other particularly virulent diseases.  Some years back, as part of the county emergency planning body, we had a lecture from an official of DMORT, the disaster mortuary people who are part of the Fed response to mass disasters.  The plans they had for handling mass casualties were really interesting, ranging from the conventional funeral home burial/cremation to essentially digging a trench and doing a mass cremation or burial of bodies.  That last one was pretty much reserved for a nuclear war or having to eradicate a widespread animal disease outbreak.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #191 on: October 08, 2014, 09:09:09 PM »
Slight tangent, but some interesting photos and text relating to how people dealt with the Spanish flu:

http://mashable.com/2014/10/08/influenza-epidemic-1918/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #192 on: October 08, 2014, 09:29:46 PM »
My grandpa was born in 1903. I remember him talking about it and the friends and family that went through it, both the ones that survived and the ones that didn't.  The little country cemetery where most of my family winds up dates to the the 1860s and has quite a few Graves of young people that died in 1918-19 time frame. Several were confirmed to me by older relatives to have died from the Spanish flu.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #193 on: October 08, 2014, 09:31:37 PM »

Texas health officials say the deputy is not at risk for ebola:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/08/health/ebola-up-to-speed/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I'm hoping they're right.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #194 on: October 08, 2014, 09:38:59 PM »
http://claytonecramer.blogspot.com/2014/10/why-i-am-less-fearful-about-ebola-than.html

Ebola is a hemorrhagic fever.  It turns that mant Americans (at least those of European ancestry) are likely immune to it, because so many of us have the CCR5-delta 32 mutation, which protects from HIV and hemorhhagic fevers.  Even if it were to break into the general population, the net effect would be to disproportionately kill the poorest and most reliably Democratic voters.  Since many Americans have already been exposed to HIV (especially in the 1980s through blood transfusions) without developing AIDS, my guess is that the risks of getting Ebola are relatvely lower than for the unlucky people of West Africa.  Our ancestors in Europe paid the price during the Black Death, thank them for their sacrifice.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #195 on: October 08, 2014, 10:40:12 PM »
While I have no particular worry about getting Ebola I have less than zero trust of what our government tells me. The stronger and more vehemently the tell me there is nothing to worry about the more concerned I get.

I'm actually a little more concerned about the EV-D68 virus and the "mystery" virus that may or may not be EV-68D that is causing the polio like symptoms. And of course it has nothing to do with the thousands of unscreened  central American illegal I migrant children that were dispersed across the country.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 01:51:46 AM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #196 on: October 08, 2014, 10:46:47 PM »
Seriously,  Wtf?

I'm starting to doubt the coincidences happening g around the worldhttp://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/10/06/what-is-marburg-the-ebola-like-virus-that-killed-a-health-care-worker-in-uganda/
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #197 on: October 08, 2014, 10:54:19 PM »
http://claytonecramer.blogspot.com/2014/10/why-i-am-less-fearful-about-ebola-than.html

That made my head hurt reading that blog.

Then I had to go see what this CCR5-delta 32 mutation is, looks like only 4-16% of European dissent people have it, and probably was expressed by the small pox virus, not bubonic plague which is caused by a bacteria. Long story short, if you have that mutation it has a negative effect on T cells which small pox and HIV virus attach to. How I understand it the mutation interferes with those viruses making them unable to bind to the T cells and cause the infection. Infection cause immune system suppression.

Ebola how I understand enters the cell wall, enters the membrane and starts to reproduce. As the virus replicates it releases inflammatory compounds which eventually leads the hemorrhaging if the immune system isn't able to control it. Also has a behavior/chemical that confuses the immune system which is why hemorrhaging happens. Nothing to do with T cells here, so I'm calling BS on the blog posted.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #198 on: October 08, 2014, 10:58:09 PM »
Seriously,  Wtf?

I'm starting to doubt the coincidences happening g around the worldhttp://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/10/06/what-is-marburg-the-ebola-like-virus-that-killed-a-health-care-worker-in-uganda/

Malburgvirus and Ebolavirus are like 1st cousins. Both are members of the Filoviridae family along with proposed Cuevavirus genus.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #199 on: October 08, 2014, 11:03:05 PM »
Ebola how I understand enters the cell wall, enters the membrane and starts to reproduce. As the virus replicates it releases inflammatory compounds which eventually leads the hemorrhaging if the immune system isn't able to control it. Also has a behavior/chemical that confuses the immune system which is why hemorrhaging happens. Nothing to do with T cells here, so I'm calling BS on the blog posted.

So... if you think you got The Obola, you should get good and drunk and stay that way until it has run it's course, so as to suppress your immune response. (reduce inflammation before it leads to hemorrhaging, blood pressure crash, and sepsis)

I'm kinda almost serious.
"It's good, though..."