Author Topic: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US  (Read 145883 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #225 on: October 12, 2014, 10:01:31 AM »
And the POS family members are suing Presby for taking care of their worthless sack of a relative. Don't really care if now if they DIAF wherever they may currently reside.

With all the recent media stories about how he was turned away from the ED at the first visit, and conjecture that he may have lived if he was admitted then, I told my wife that a lawsuit was being set up.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #226 on: October 12, 2014, 10:33:37 AM »
Number two in Dallas. Is this the first case of transmission in the US?

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/10/12/health-care-worker-at-dallas-hospital-tests-positive-for-ebola/

And a close contact of the health care worker is in 'preliminary isolation', whatever that is.

Supposedly, the "health care worker was wearing full protection gear and following all CDC guidelines when he or she made contact with Duncan."  And yet this person still managed to contract Ebola.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #227 on: October 12, 2014, 11:40:38 AM »
With all the recent media stories about how he was turned away from the ED at the first visit, and conjecture that he may have lived if he was admitted then, I told my wife that a lawsuit was being set up.

I hope this doesn't surprise you. I am sure Jesse Jackson is only charging the family 40% or so of any future payouts from a lawsuit after he whips the crowd into a racially divided frenzy. ;)

bob

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #228 on: October 12, 2014, 07:10:03 PM »
Her infection is nothing more than acceptable collateral damage in the war of political correctness vs common sense.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #229 on: October 12, 2014, 07:33:11 PM »
I suspect someone got careless. The lady in Spain thinks she touched her face while taking off her suit. I am a bit skeptical wonder if something more venal happened

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #230 on: October 13, 2014, 01:23:58 AM »

If that is true, they deserve to win and receive a giant payout.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #231 on: October 13, 2014, 01:40:34 AM »
I suspect someone got careless. The lady in Spain thinks she touched her face while taking off her suit. I am a bit skeptical wonder if something more venal happened

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very likely- the problem is, a perfect plan that does not include people making mistakes is not so perfect anymore-
 Outside of the medical issue, my problem is the ass's in charge have been lying so unremittingly that I no longer trust anything any government official says, at any level, or any capacity, unless they can prove it to my satisfaction. I am not sure , even at this stage, that they realize how much the average citizen distrusts them.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #232 on: October 13, 2014, 04:34:59 AM »
I heard the tape of the Liberian gal calling an ambulance - I couldn't understand what the heck she was saying - I can see emergency personnel not taking them serious - she sounded really dumb.
I worked with a Liberian dude 13 yrs ago or so - he was difficult to understand too - but not that bad
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #233 on: October 13, 2014, 06:05:28 AM »
Very likely- the problem is, a perfect plan that does not include people making mistakes is not so perfect anymore-
 Outside of the medical issue, my problem is the ass's in charge have been lying so unremittingly that I no longer trust anything any government official says, at any level, or any capacity, unless they can prove it to my satisfaction. I am not sure , even at this stage, that they realize how much the average citizen distrusts them.

If either of my senators told me the sky is blue I'd go check it myself, and I don't really dislike either of them.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #234 on: October 13, 2014, 04:03:38 PM »
To everyone with Hand Wavium "We can handle this", the simple fact is:  We Can Not.  This has already jumped the ocean, and will continue to do so, unless and until we quarantine Ebolaland.   The CDC either doesn't or refuses to acknowledge how virulent this virus is and the fact that in the past it has proven to be airborne.   Looking at the CDC reports this is NOT "burning out" but continuing to spread and grow.  Which it will continue to do until there is a wall built around it and it burns out within that wall.  

As pointed out our facilities are neither designed nor equipped to handle this.  And for those still practicing the Hand Wavium, tell me if you would take your wife or mother to Presby Hospital in Dallas today, if your loved one had been in a car accident?  Would you be willing to take that chance?  Are you willing to go there with your bleeding loved one (or yourself) in the same ER that DEG was in?  Are you that confident that "they got it"?

This is fire.  And the political correctness is going to kill people.  Just like HIV has done

http://news.yahoo.com/investigators-rush-ebola-struck-dallas-nurse-160629231.html

Money quote:

"We have to rethink the way we address Ebola infection control. Even a single infection is unacceptable," Frieden told reporters.

Frieden is Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

When the guys in the white lab coats say "Huh, that wasn't supposed to happen."  *expletive deleted*it just got real and bad all at once.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:06:41 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #235 on: October 13, 2014, 04:24:12 PM »
The CDC either doesn't or refuses to acknowledge how virulent this virus is and the fact that in the past it has proven to be airborne.

Even WND gets one right every now and then.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #236 on: October 13, 2014, 04:24:58 PM »
Frieden is Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

When the guys in the white lab coats say "Huh, that wasn't supposed to happen."  *expletive deleted* it just got real and bad all at once.

He sounds like a political hack who has been in over his head since day one. Not unexpected from the Peter Principle Presidency.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #237 on: October 13, 2014, 04:49:55 PM »
To everyone with Hand Wavium "We can handle this", the simple fact is:  We Can Not.  This has already jumped the ocean, and will continue to do so, unless and until we quarantine Ebolaland.   The CDC either doesn't or refuses to acknowledge how virulent this virus is and the fact that in the past it has proven to be airborne.   Looking at the CDC reports this is NOT "burning out" but continuing to spread and grow.  Which it will continue to do until there is a wall built around it and it burns out within that wall.  

As pointed out our facilities are neither designed nor equipped to handle this.  And for those still practicing the Hand Wavium, tell me if you would take your wife or mother to Presby Hospital in Dallas today, if your loved one had been in a car accident?  Would you be willing to take that chance?  Are you willing to go there with your bleeding loved one (or yourself) in the same ER that DEG was in?  Are you that confident that "they got it"?

This is fire.  And the political correctness is going to kill people.  Just like HIV has done

http://news.yahoo.com/investigators-rush-ebola-struck-dallas-nurse-160629231.html

Money quote:

When the guys in the white lab coats say "Huh, that wasn't supposed to happen."  *expletive deleted* it just got real and bad all at once.

Bold part is factually incorrect. No strain of the virus that affects humans has ever been shown to be air transmissible. And if it was I'd expect to see higher numbers in the African outbreaks. Not saying it can't happen, but it has not so far.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #238 on: October 13, 2014, 05:01:54 PM »
Bold part is factually incorrect. No strain of the virus that affects humans has ever been shown to be air transmissible. And if it was I'd expect to see higher numbers in the African outbreaks. Not saying it can't happen, but it has not so far.

"Proven" is too strong a word, but the bit I hit with bold face is also factually incorrect.  I recall reading that a strain of Ebola that kills both monkeys/baboons and humans, while at USAMRIID, manged to make the jump across a room in their level four containment facility.  Infected primates caged on one side of the room and uninfected primates caged on the other side, no physical mixing.  And the uninfected primates got the virus anyway.

USAMRIID was unable to explain how it happened, but it was considered rather disturbing.  I do note that USAMRIID has not participated in the hot & heavy news-releases as the CDC has done:
http://www.usamriid.army.mil/newsroom.cfm
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #239 on: October 13, 2014, 05:06:42 PM »
"Proven" is too strong a word, but the bit I hit with bold face is also factually incorrect.  I recall reading that a strain of Ebola that kills both monkeys/baboons and humans, while at USAMRIID, manged to make the jump across a room in their level four containment facility.  Infected primates caged on one side of the room and uninfected primates caged on the other side, no physical mixing.  And the uninfected primates got the virus anyway.

USAMRIID was unable to explain how it happened, but it was considered rather disturbing.  I do note that USAMRIID has not participated in the hot & heavy news-releases as the CDC has done:

There was a lot more to that experiment than merely having monkeys in cages with no direct physical contact, but I don't have a link handy to the exact details.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #240 on: October 13, 2014, 05:07:26 PM »

Primates throw things and spit, not sure how big the room is. Also could have been bad hygiene on the part of the workers, like using same water/food bowls without proper cleaning.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #241 on: October 13, 2014, 05:15:29 PM »
Primates throw things and spit, not sure how big the room is. Also could have been bad hygiene on the part of the workers, like using same water/food bowls without proper cleaning.

Maybe so.  In any case, USAMRIID could not suss out the cause. 

Yet it still occurred.  Makes it hard to argue "Unpossible!" when reality defies the claim.  FTR, I do not claim to know how it happened, either.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #242 on: October 13, 2014, 05:19:32 PM »
Give a read to "The Hot Zone: The Terrifying True Story of the Origins of the Ebola Virus" by Richard Preston.  It lays out the reasons why it was thought that Ebola Reston may have gone airborne.  The best explanation USAMRIID could come up with was viruses tagging along on droplets of moisture coughed up by the infected monkeys and carried across the room by air circulation.  But even that explanation was never really proven.
And, it happened not once but twice.  The second occurrence was infection moving into a room that had no known infected monkeys.
Several humans also tested positive for Ebola Reston antibodies after it was all over.  Lucky for them, Ebola Reston was a mutation deadly only to monkeys.  Humans showed no symptoms of infection at all.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #243 on: October 13, 2014, 05:22:14 PM »

The line between "spit droplet" and "airborne" seems to be kind of vague at best to me.

I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #244 on: October 13, 2014, 05:23:06 PM »
Lucky for them, Ebola Reston was a mutation deadly only to monkeys.  Humans showed no symptoms of infection at all.

Actually, IIRC, some showed mild flulike symptoms, but recovered quickly.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #245 on: October 13, 2014, 05:24:43 PM »
The line between "spit droplet" and "airborne" seems to be kind of vague at best to me.

End result is similar enough; catch it without discernible direct contact with infected bodily fluids.  Only significant difference might be ease of filtration or raw distance covered by the transmission.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #246 on: October 13, 2014, 05:27:15 PM »
Actually, IIRC, some showed mild flulike symptoms, but recovered quickly.

In the book there were two folks that got sick during or after working in the lab.  One presented some classic Ebola symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea.  In the end he turned out to have food poisoning.  Another actually had the flu.

Finished the book not long ago.  However, the usual disclaimers for faulty memory and such.  YMMV.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #247 on: October 13, 2014, 05:27:26 PM »

I know monkeys can throw *expletive deleted*it pretty hard, but last I checked they can't throw it through a wall. It spread to rooms that had no infected monkeys.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #248 on: October 13, 2014, 05:33:35 PM »
Maybe so.  In any case, USAMRIID could not suss out the cause. 

Yet it still occurred.  Makes it hard to argue "Unpossible!" when reality defies the claim.  FTR, I do not claim to know how it happened, either.

Quite a big difference between "hasn't happened yet" and "unpossible."

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #249 on: October 13, 2014, 05:47:05 PM »

I would like more clarification on this issue, too.  

I can make the distinction between water as an aerosol and water dissolved into the air.  An aerosol is small to super-tiny droplets.  Anything form sea spray to fog.  Water dissolved into the air presents itself as absolute humidity.  The two act on the hardware I care about in different ways.

But as to the difference between "airborne" and "aerosol" in the medical/biological sense, I could use a hint.

Quite a big difference between "hasn't happened yet" and "unpossible."

That's the thing: IIRC, it has happened.  In a USAMRIID Level 4 protocol lab.  They could not explain how, though(1), so claims of "proven" seem premature while at the same time "hasn't happened yet" can no longer be claimed.  Not a happy place to be, but there you are.

I am not referring to Reston Virus.

But, again, you don't see any goobers form USAMRIID running in front of a camera to claim it can't happen. 

(1) And, yes, poo and urine flinging was postulated, as well as some sort of aerosolized bodily fluids.  They could not hammer any of them  down to their satisfaction.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton