Author Topic: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US  (Read 145857 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #275 on: October 13, 2014, 08:08:04 PM »
I am not referring to Reston Virus.

I believe you are, in fact.  USAMRRID handled most of the investigation and mitigation of the Ebola Reston outbreak in the Hazleton Laboratories facility in Reston, VA, the site of the Ebola Reston outbreak.  They did a lot of work on the remains of euthanized monkeys in their USAMRRID labs.  I don't recall if they performed any experimentation on monkeys in their labs, however.
For the record, CDC played a relatively minor part in the Reston incident.
Unless there is another incident out there that I have not seen a reference to.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 08:16:17 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #276 on: October 13, 2014, 08:13:32 PM »
Reston is the one that the zomg folks try to use as an example of "its gone airborne"
It falls short of that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #277 on: October 13, 2014, 08:17:14 PM »
Yes, totally isolated, separate rooms.   No mixing of food, people or utensils.  Nothing that had ever been in Room "A"  ever allowed in Room "B".   The only possible transmission source was.....wait for it......

The HVAC system.

So yeah.  Airborne.

And as someone who's entire life revolves around infection prevention procedures, I think this goes here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-JA1ffd5Ms

Got a link? Roo ster typed same room. I've noticed he has a memory like a steel trap, if he read separate rooms, I'm pretty sure he would have typed that because that is so much more alarming than infected and uninfected in the same room.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #278 on: October 13, 2014, 08:20:16 PM »
There may just be doizens or hundreds of cases already, but it won't be known for 20 days or so.

I have to concede a point though. Again today, I witnessed a woman at work (not the most outwardly hygenic person, I'll add), take the newspaper into the bathroom and then place it back onto the lunch table when she came back out 15 minutes later. I'm leaving a nasty note on the paper. [barf]

I pitched a fit to the nurse at work giving out flu shots on why she didn't wear gloves when giving shots. She was an older lady and pretty much gave me the screw you look. I dropped out of line and went to the nurse who changed her glove between each person.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #279 on: October 13, 2014, 08:27:29 PM »
Reston is the one that the zomg folks try to use as an example of "its gone airborne"
It falls short of that

It's neither proof nor disproof.  We should remember and understand that.  Something unexplained happened during that incident.  The virus traveled between isolated rooms to infect crab-eating Macaques from a completely different shipment and past the accepted quarantine period for Ebola Zaire (Ebola Reston seriously twigged the Mayinga Ebola test, the only test for Ebola Zaire at that time, scaring the crap out of the USAMRIID scientists.)
One hopes that there is a non-airborne explanation for how ER made it to that isolated monkey room.  But at the end of the day, we just do not know.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

• friends
« Reply #280 on: October 13, 2014, 08:39:10 PM »
I believe you are confusing the reston case with the outbreak of same virus at texas facility. Its described in link in post 265

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #281 on: October 13, 2014, 08:39:52 PM »

*edited the size, about choked my phone. -charby
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 08:45:13 PM by charby »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #282 on: October 13, 2014, 08:44:07 PM »
I believe you are confusing the reston case with the outbreak of same virus at texas facility. Its described in link in post 265

Who is confusing Reston with Texas?  My info comes from the Reston event.

• friends
« Reply #283 on: October 13, 2014, 08:48:53 PM »
Reston was one room different cages/enclosures i believe let me got look again its been a while

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #284 on: October 13, 2014, 08:50:36 PM »
snopes even has something to about it.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/disease/ebolaairborne.asp

Uranus is a gas giant.

• friends
« Reply #285 on: October 13, 2014, 08:53:05 PM »
Your were right they were in room f and h. However they all came from the same place in 2 shipments. Were both infected when they showed up
https://web.stanford.edu/group/virus/filo/ebor.html

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #286 on: October 13, 2014, 08:56:44 PM »
Reston was one room different cages/enclosures i believe let me got look again its been a while

Actually multiple rooms.  From the book cited earlier, plus some other sources recently read.  
After additional reading, my earlier statement about the isolated room containing monkeys past incubation time may not be accurate.  YMMV.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #287 on: October 13, 2014, 09:05:02 PM »
Yeah, it's airborne:

http://www.nature.com/srep/2012/121115/srep00811/full/srep00811.html

http://ispub.com/IJPRM/2/1/12768

And, indeed researchers discovered that this was a new species of Ebola virus, which they named Ebola-Reston15, 28, 29. The new virus was highly pathogenic in monkeys but apparently not in humans. The researchers also dispelled the idea that filoviruses were found only in Africa, because the monkeys had been imported from the Philippines. The investigators documented a high likelihood of aerosol transmission outside a controlled laboratory setting, because the virus appeared to pass between rooms to infect susceptible monkeys. Specimens from animals that died or were killed to eradicate the outbreak yielded fertile ground for research in new Ebola virus detection and identification techniques and the virological and pathological events associated with infection.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #288 on: October 13, 2014, 09:17:01 PM »
Yeah, it's airborne:

That is about Reston ebolavirus which is a non-pathogen to humans.

The current outbreak is Zaire ebolavirus.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #289 on: October 13, 2014, 09:34:25 PM »
I pitched a fit to the nurse at work giving out flu shots on why she didn't wear gloves when giving shots. She was an older lady and pretty much gave me the screw you look. I dropped out of line and went to the nurse who changed her glove between each person.

Back when my grandfather was in the hospital for the last stretch, one of the DUMB ass nurses came to draw blood...and she drew blood without wearing gloves. What. The. *expletive deleted* ck. I believe that if Millcreek had been there to witness it he would have stroked out right there.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

• friends
« Reply #290 on: October 13, 2014, 09:36:18 PM »
Yeah, it's airborne:

Link 2 above your post shows both groups came from same farm were likely infected  when they came in door.

And from your link

The design and size of the animal cubicle did not allow to distinguish whether the transmission was by aerosol, small or large droplets in the air, or droplets created during floor cleaning which landed inside the NHP cages (fomites).

brimic

• friends
« Reply #291 on: October 13, 2014, 09:40:55 PM »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #292 on: October 13, 2014, 09:44:51 PM »
Uh, you guys realize that gloves are A) not sterile; and B) for their protection.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #293 on: October 13, 2014, 09:45:18 PM »
snopes even has something to about it.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/disease/ebolaairborne.asp

That settles it, snopes says ebola is not airborne. No need go wear masks, let aline supplied breathing air.

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #294 on: October 13, 2014, 09:46:25 PM »
Uh, you guys realize that gloves are A) not sterile; and B) for their protection.
Thats what she said.

Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #295 on: October 13, 2014, 09:47:43 PM »

Yes, but one should change them between touching different patients.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #296 on: October 13, 2014, 09:49:12 PM »
That settles it, snopes says ebola is not airborne. No need go wear masks, let aline supplied breathing air.

oh geez...

Uranus is a gas giant.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #297 on: October 13, 2014, 09:49:49 PM »
Yes, but one should change them between touching different patients.

Germophobe!

Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #298 on: October 13, 2014, 10:00:01 PM »
I was not referring to the reston virus which had multiple rooms of critters and different rooms came down with the reston virus at different times.  Very strong indications that it could infect via airborn means.  Super creepy but not a killer of humans.

I was referring to an incident earlier in the hot zone book witnessed or documented by the lady epidemiologist.  I also googled her after reading the hot zone.  Anyways the location was the usamriid level four facility.  One room had several deliberately infected baboons or monkeys and two uninfected controls.  They were dissecting the infected ones to see the progression of ebola over time on the internal organs.  And it came a big mf-ing surprise when the controls came down with ebola.  They could not explain how it happened but it caused quite a bit of heartburn. 

Of course i can no longer recall why i thought it significant so i will suck down a spaten optimator dopplebock on general principle.  Mmmmm.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends

Barack Obama