Author Topic: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US  (Read 145943 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #300 on: October 13, 2014, 10:02:03 PM »
Uh, you guys realize that gloves are A) not sterile; and B) for their protection.

Yes, I know, considering I was a firefighter/first responder and have been to several infectious disease control classes...  

It is still inexcusable for medical personnel not to wear such basic protection when it is available. Even in light of the gloves not being sterile, it does provide a barrier between the patient and care provider that helps both parties, even if it is not a "perfect" solution. It's damn stupid of a care provider not to use the gloves and/or not change them between patients.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Neemi

• friend
« Reply #301 on: October 13, 2014, 10:09:40 PM »
Not wearing gloves is stupid.

Doesn't mean there aren't healthcare workers who wear them 100% of the time. (Some tell me that it limits their ability to feel the veins. I call BS, but whatever.)

And as far as nurses not knowing how to "sterile" remove a gown, mask, and gloves.... yeah. That's crazy talk, too. First off, a gown isn't a sterile piece of equipment. It's to keep things clean, not sterile. The only sterile gowns are in the OR; the rest of us use clean gear. Like the kid with the cake, it doesn't work all the time. It helps, but it isn't perfect.

We get retrained on proper gear use and removal EVERY winter/flu season: emails, demonstrations, the whole 9 yards. Yes, sometimes I skip using the full gown get up on a known flu patient, but I always mask and glove. Drives the floor nurses batty!  [popcorn]

MicroBalrog

• friend
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Re: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #303 on: October 13, 2014, 10:24:46 PM »
Yet she probably slipped up somewhere and got it.

Yep, you don't see me heading on a flight to go look at trees in Western Africa. :)
Thing is cdc needs a cya face saving scenario that does not make them look like fools for suggesting level two is good enough when it might not be.

Of course i witnessed docs and nurses screwing the pooch live and in color in the service so a nurse screw up would not shock me.

Still the cdc had zero facts when it instantly jumped to "the nurse messed up bexause our protocol is golden."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #305 on: October 13, 2014, 10:42:53 PM »
You don't design a policy around best case scenarios.

Allowing people from hot zones to travel here is counting on best case scenarios, "we can handle this".

It is bad public policy and it will probably kill some folks. 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #306 on: October 13, 2014, 11:10:44 PM »
We need to send Dr. Friedan a dictionary:

Quote from: Merriam-Webster on-line
quar·an·tine
noun \ˈkwȯr-ən-ˌtēn, ˈkwär-\

: the period of time during which a person or animal that has a disease or that might have a disease is kept away from others to prevent the disease from spreading

: the situation of being kept away from others to prevent a disease from spreading
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Re: Re: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #307 on: October 13, 2014, 11:20:31 PM »
Still the cdc had zero facts when it instantly jumped to "the nurse messed up bexause our protocol is golden."

I guess they are taking lessons from members of the modern press. Jump to conclusions and blame everyone. :)
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brimic

• friends
« Reply #308 on: October 13, 2014, 11:43:02 PM »
We need to send Dr. Friedan a dictionary:

Frieden, like our president, is out of his depth.

Barack Obama

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #309 on: October 14, 2014, 02:44:06 AM »
I am skrood!   Folks better come steal my toys before the whole city is infected.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/richmond-clinic-evaluating-whether-patient-is-at-risk-of-ebola/article_cb28d73a-5320-11e4-97f5-0017a43b2370.html

A woman who dropped by a South Richmond clinic with a low-grade fever Monday found herself being evaluated as the city’s first potential Ebola patient and was transferred to VCU Medical Center last night after being isolated most of the day at the clinic where she had sought treatment.

The clinic officially serves the entire homeless population, as well as large chunks of the employed lower socioeconomic class.

The woman had a low-grade fever and had recently traveled to Liberia, one of the West African nations hard hit by the deadly virus.

Stern stressed that the patient did not fully meet entry-level criteria for establishing the presence of Ebola, but nevertheless would undergo further testing at the hospital as a precaution.

“Since the additional testing recommended cannot be performed at CrossOver, the patient was transferred to a local hospital for further clinical and laboratory evaluation,” Stern said in a statement Monday night.

“Depending the on the results of the emergency department evaluation (Monday night), the CDC will advise regarding any further testing,” Stern said.

He praised the CrossOver clinic’s “high degree of professional expertise,” noting that the patient had not come to CrossOver out of fear of Ebola but that clinicians there placed the patient in isolation after determining that she had traveled to Liberia and showed a low-grade fever.

Patients with Ebola tend to show far more serious symptoms, such as vomiting and high fevers.

First, kudos for recognizing there may be a problem.  Still no word on what, if anything, they did about staff and other patients that were there at the time.

And about the last sentence in the quote above - does that mean that while the ebola is incubating and building up to the point it overwhelms the body it is "something other than ebola"?   :facepalm:  [tinfoil]

Anyhow, all y'all that want to can come and steal my toys.  Given that the whole city will be dead from this soon, there is no need to wipe your feet before you come in.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #310 on: October 14, 2014, 05:21:00 AM »
Ebola shows signs of slowing down in Liberia, first US troops now on the ground. It's Ebolavirus Zaire vs. the US Army, I know who I am betting on.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #311 on: October 14, 2014, 05:47:18 AM »
Betting on it being statistically impossible for the entire 4,000 US contingent to get out of there without anyone contracting the crap?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #312 on: October 14, 2014, 06:03:40 AM »
I was not referring to the reston virus which had multiple rooms of critters and different rooms came down with the reston virus at different times.  Very strong indications that it could infect via airborn means.  Super creepy but not a killer of humans.

I was referring to an incident earlier in the hot zone book witnessed or documented by the lady epidemiologist.  I also googled her after reading the hot zone.  Anyways the location was the usamriid level four facility.  One room had several deliberately infected baboons or monkeys and two uninfected controls.  They were dissecting the infected ones to see the progression of ebola over time on the internal organs.  And it came a big mf-ing surprise when the controls came down with ebola.  They could not explain how it happened but it caused quite a bit of heartburn. 

Of course i can no longer recall why i thought it significant so i will suck down a spaten optimator dopplebock on general principle.  Mmmmm.

Thanks for the clarification, roo_ster.  Read the same book and had forgotten that part.  Must be the oldtimers disease kicking in.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #313 on: October 14, 2014, 06:20:40 AM »
Ebola shows signs of slowing down in Liberia

Read recently where this is likely just a breakdown in the victim tracking process, not a real slowdown in the spread of the disease.  Many hospitals and other health care facilities overwhelmed, folks are not using them, many are holing up in their homes for self-care or otherwise not reporting when they are infected.
If I run across the story again I will post a link.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #314 on: October 14, 2014, 10:00:29 AM »
Read recently where this is likely just a breakdown in the victim tracking process, not a real slowdown in the spread of the disease.  Many hospitals and other health care facilities overwhelmed, folks are not using them, many are holing up in their homes for self-care or otherwise not reporting when they are infected.
If I run across the story again I will post a link.

I've read the same link. Massively undercounted, because there isn't anyone left who cares enough to count. Also, officials being bribed to change cause of death to something other than ebola so that family members can be buried together in cemetaries instead of incinerated.

Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #315 on: October 14, 2014, 10:09:13 AM »
Many hospitals and other health care facilities overwhelmed, folks are not using them, many are holing up in their homes for self-care or otherwise not reporting when they are infected.

This is where I really start to lose sympathy for them.  Hiding out by yourself, preferably with a quarantine sign at the door, is one thing.  Dooming your family to go with you (after spreading it to a neighbor or ten) is completely different.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #316 on: October 14, 2014, 10:15:39 AM »
Doc blows off quarantine   Says she's sorry.
http://us.cnn.com/2014/10/14/health/ebola-nbc-snyderman-apology/index.html?sr=sharebar_twitter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #317 on: October 14, 2014, 10:32:15 AM »
http://us.cnn.com/2014/10/14/health/ebola-nbc-snyderman-apology/index.html?sr=sharebar_twitter

A Western medical professional who "Knows better". Lovely.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #318 on: October 14, 2014, 10:36:48 AM »
It's the mindset that begets careless behavior

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #319 on: October 14, 2014, 10:37:25 AM »

My wife, the RN, told me about this last night.

IF we end up haveing an Ebola problem in the States, it'll be because of hubris like this.  Or Dr. "I'm just poking my head in I don't need to bother with full PPE".

FWIW, My wife's hospital is the designated Ebola treatment place in Tampa, and we've been discussing the actions and training they are doing just in case.  Don't know about the Texan's, but here the precautions are actually pretty good.  Negitive pressure rooms, designated (limited numbers of) caregivers, designated wet decon area and disposal, BSL-3 protocols, Stocked up on all the PPE they can get to ensure supply, Designated hot, warm and cold zones in advance with authorized, trained people already listed for warm and hot, retraining on first contact protocals and what to do with the ER folks and areas if people come off the street, so far 2 unannouced drills in the last month.  Basiclly, they're taking the whole thing seriously without freaking out, and acting professionally, in advance, to limit exposure and ensure containment.

From what I've heard, my county Sheriff also has plans in place to patrol and check in on likely first vector populations (we have a couple of decent sized African immigrant comunities)*, and they started a couple weeks ago doing community outreach to make sure folks know the early symptoms and who to call for help.

*There was a little drama early on when the SD just hit all the "Africans" and lumped a Somali mosque in with W. Africans.  Apparantly there is little love lost between those populations. =D

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #320 on: October 14, 2014, 10:39:41 AM »

Uranus is a gas giant.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #321 on: October 14, 2014, 02:17:58 PM »
And as far as nurses not knowing how to "sterile" remove a gown, mask, and gloves.... yeah. That's crazy talk, too. First off, a gown isn't a sterile piece of equipment. It's to keep things clean, not sterile. The only sterile gowns are in the OR; the rest of us use clean gear. Like the kid with the cake, it doesn't work all the time. It helps, but it isn't perfect.

Still taking it off the right way every time is sort of equivalent to treating every gun as if it is loaded; you don't set yourself up with a bad habit.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #322 on: October 14, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »
From Dr. Tim's Moment Of Clarity on FB

Ok, out of retirement for one more…. Not to be a jerk or anything, but I have to wonder how a government that can't build a website or find an email can assure us they have this Ebola thing dialed in. I'm not panicked about it, but if you can't stop a 10 year old Guatemalan kid from coming here you don't stand a chance against the plague - just sayin'. The President says we can't get it sitting on the bus and I believe him - even a virus won't ride those things. So far, the only Americans infected have been wearing the hazmat suits directed by CDC, so I'm going to avoid those like the…
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #323 on: October 14, 2014, 07:36:16 PM »
If I am a troll then you are Chicken Little.

I want to publically apologize to Balog for calling him Chicken Little. I though that this thread was going to be a ZOMG we are all going to die because its our government's fault, much to my surprise and pleasure this has been a very productive thread of good information and very intelligent debate.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #324 on: October 15, 2014, 06:03:45 AM »
Another health care worker that treated Mr. Duncan has tested positive for Ebola and has been hospitalized at Presby in Dallas.
Story here

"An additional health care worker testing positive for Ebola is a serious concern, and the CDC has already taken active steps to minimize the risk to health care workers and the patient," the CDC said.

That makes two.