Author Topic: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US  (Read 145861 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #375 on: October 15, 2014, 09:15:29 PM »
I read that book 2-3 years ago.  Very insightful.

Meanwhile we have gone from 0 exposed in the US over a month ago to 3 confirmed cases and

75+ Dallas Presbyterian Healthcare workers exposed
132 on a Frontier Airlines flight
20ish of DEG's family, friends and co-workers.
?? Because Dr. "Soup" Synderman couldn't keep her *expletive deleted*ss under "Voluntary" quarantine.
And an unknown number of unknowns that have yet to develop symptoms.

And yet "We got this."  

Yeah, we do....
 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #376 on: October 15, 2014, 09:27:19 PM »
There are DDT and pyrethroids (stuff bed nets are currently treated with) resistant mosquito populations now. So DDT is no longer the saving grace that the chemical happy crowd is always pointing at.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140224204808.htm

HIV/AIDS, last time I checked there was no cure, what is interesting it spreads in similar ways of the different Ebola species, not all but many of the way. Currently HIV is a manageable disease but it will kill you eventually, quicker unless you got Magic Johnson's money. Plus if I remember correctly HIV/AIDS had spread to a lot of people before they really knew what it was and how it spread. Not sure how the non politically correct method would have worked, also where would have put all those people infected with HIV? FDR's abandoned internment camps?

Yes, Malaria can be treated, but it is also not contagious, have to be bit by the mosquito that has the malaria parasite.

Maybe things like Marburg and Ebola viruses are nature's way of controlling the population of a certain species? This time its the human species turn for a population reduction? There are a lot more viruses and bacterial species then there is of any vertebrate or invertebrate and they evolve a lot faster than the other animals, I think Darwin would have appreciated the wee nasty beasties.

So advocating for genocide now?  "Just let it run it's course."  Nice....

1)  DDT is far, far, far more effective then anything else to reduce/eliminate malaria.  (Also works against bedbugs, btw)  And although you claim to be an expert at Microbiology, perhaps some basic chemistry is in order.  "The dosage makes the poison"  A little DDT goes long way.  As opposed to how it (and everything else) was used in the 40's, 50's and 60's.  We know better now.

2)  Transmission of HIV is much more difficult then Ebola.  (HIV doesn't have you puking and shitting blood).  Plus the primary transmission method of HIV was identified early on (Anal sex, as it had to go into the blood stream, hence the difficulty in males getting it from females.)  Had those ID with the virus been quarantined early on, its spread would have stopped.  However, they didn't want it to be a "gay and or druggie" disease, so enough "others" had to become infected (transfusions) to show that "everyone" is at risk.  And the only way to do that was to put everyone at risk.  The populations today primarily effected (now that blood is screened) are surprisingly Homosexual men and Intravenous drug users.

3)  And what happens if you test positive for TB?  QUARANTINED for treatment.

Why are we not doing it with Ebola? 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #377 on: October 15, 2014, 09:43:32 PM »
You know how many folks we've quarantined for tb? And when?

http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/state-quarantine-and-isolation-statutes.aspx
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #378 on: October 15, 2014, 09:45:07 PM »
So advocating for genocide now?  "Just let it run it's course."  Nice....

1)  DDT is far, far, far more effective then anything else to reduce/eliminate malaria.  (Also works against bedbugs, btw)  And although you claim to be an expert at Microbiology, perhaps some basic chemistry is in order.  "The dosage makes the poison"  A little DDT goes long way.  As opposed to how it (and everything else) was used in the 40's, 50's and 60's.  We know better now.

2)  Transmission of HIV is much more difficult then Ebola.  (HIV doesn't have you puking and shitting blood).  Plus the primary transmission method of HIV was identified early on (Anal sex, as it had to go into the blood stream, hence the difficulty in males getting it from females.)  Had those ID with the virus been quarantined early on, its spread would have stopped.  However, they didn't want it to be a "gay and or druggie" disease, so enough "others" had to become infected (transfusions) to show that "everyone" is at risk.  And the only way to do that was to put everyone at risk.  The populations today primarily effected (now that blood is screened) are surprisingly Homosexual men and Intravenous drug users.

3)  And what happens if you test positive for TB?  QUARANTINED for treatment.

Why are we not doing it with Ebola? 

Man trying to conquer and control everything is going to be the end of our species.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #379 on: October 15, 2014, 09:50:35 PM »
Man trying to conquer and control everything is going to be the end salvation of our species.

It is why we no longer piss in the same stream we get drinking water from and have to chase down herd animals with pointy sticks.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #380 on: October 15, 2014, 09:53:23 PM »
Man trying to conquer and control everything is going to be the end of our species.
So your plan is what? *expletive deleted*ck it?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #381 on: October 15, 2014, 10:08:26 PM »
So your plan is what? *expletive deleted* ck it?

That is what happens when you try to control everything, you play "God" and stuff comes back with vengeance.

Just look at the antibiotic resistant common bacteria, Round Up resistant weeds, etc.

Uranus is a gas giant.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #382 on: October 15, 2014, 10:32:18 PM »
That is what happens when you try to control everything, you play "God" and stuff comes back with vengeance.

Just look at the antibiotic resistant common bacteria, Round Up resistant weeds, etc.

Yeah, or introducing rabbits to australia... ;/

You miss the point, ebola zaire does not belong in the western hemisphere, its an alien species. To negligently introduce it go our country where prevention is incredibly simple is beyond criminal.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #383 on: October 15, 2014, 10:34:33 PM »

Putting someone with an Infectious disease isn't playing God
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #384 on: October 15, 2014, 10:41:47 PM »
Yeah, or introducing rabbits to australia... ;/

You miss the point, ebola zaire does not belong in the western hemisphere, its an alien species. To negligently introduce it go our country where prevention is incredibly simple is beyond criminal.

Nether does small pox. :)

I got the point, but if you are going to intercontinental trade and travel you got to understand the risks.

Malaria came from Africa, same place that Ebola showed up. Same with Yellow Fever, both came over during the slave trade.

Syphilis came from the new world, also Polio, Hepatitis and Encephalitis.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #385 on: October 15, 2014, 11:06:38 PM »
I read that book 2-3 years ago.  Very insightful.

Meanwhile we have gone from 0 exposed in the US over a month ago to 3 confirmed cases and

75+ Dallas Presbyterian Healthcare workers exposed
132 on a Frontier Airlines flight
20ish of DEG's family, friends and co-workers.
?? Because Dr. "Soup" Synderman couldn't keep her *expletive deleted* under "Voluntary" quarantine.
And an unknown number of unknowns that have yet to develop symptoms.

And yet "We got this." 

Yeah, we do....
 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #386 on: October 15, 2014, 11:33:25 PM »
So, FEG* visited her fiancé while in Cleveland. What do you reckon the odds are that they "exchanged" some bodily fluids?

* flying Ebola girl.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #387 on: October 16, 2014, 12:31:56 AM »
So, FEG* visited her fiancé while in Cleveland. What do you reckon the odds are that they "exchanged" some bodily fluids?

* flying Ebola girl.

Much higher than if they were married, but lower than if they weren't already engaged.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #388 on: October 16, 2014, 02:41:25 AM »
Much higher than if they were married, but lower than if they weren't already engaged.

Statistically married folks have a much higher frequency of sexual activity.

And the flying doc merely illustrates that voluntary quarantines never work. I am very reluctant to support .gov agents using force against people, but quarantines need to be enforced (and harshly) or they are always ineffectual.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #389 on: October 16, 2014, 06:44:28 AM »

What am I to see?

People today are healthier, live longer, and eat more than ever before.

World hunger is on the retreat.

There are many many many social problems.

But there's no meaningful argument against the fact that medical and industrial progress has consistently caused the simple problems of starvation and plague to retreat, step by painful step.

Just in some numbers:

When the Soviet Union collapsed, the number of people living in undernourishment conditions was about a billion. Today - despite the fact that the population of Earth has clearly grown - this is 805 million. Less people are starving in absolute numbers. Comparable to the grim darkness of the pre-industrial age, when hunger was commonplace in even the wealthiest parts of the world, this is nothing short of fantastic.

Malaria is on the decline, and has last year been eliminated in yet another country. HIV is on decline in Africa - a disease from which we have no cure and no vaccine, and yet civilization is making its inevitable advance.

Basic hygiene works. NBC suits work. Quarantines work. Civilization works.

In the battle between a virus and the United States of America, my money is on the United States of America, President Barack Obama, and the United States Army.

They're going to win, again.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

brimic

• friends
« Reply #390 on: October 16, 2014, 07:53:18 AM »
Nether does small pox. :)

I got the point, but if you are going to intercontinental trade and travel you got to understand the risks.

Malaria came from Africa, same place that Ebola showed up. Same with Yellow Fever, both came over during the slave trade.

Syphilis came from the new world, also Polio, Hepatitis and Encephalitis.

Erm no... Its a very simply matter to bar immigration from hot zones. Our government chose not to.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #391 on: October 16, 2014, 08:33:34 AM »
Erm no... Its a very simply matter to bar immigration from hot zones. Our government chose not to.

I don't disagree and more than likely most immigration could be stopped from the hot zones, well unless they went through Mexico first.

The question is who is going to got to the hot zones and keep the people from immigrating elsewhere and spreading the disease to others? Damn near be impossible to ban the entire world from entering the US.

Uranus is a gas giant.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #392 on: October 16, 2014, 08:40:25 AM »
Oh now you get all reality bound

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #393 on: October 16, 2014, 08:46:34 AM »
Well if we were in front of this and had a ban in place sooner we know of two women who wouldn't have contracted ebola.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #394 on: October 16, 2014, 09:34:39 AM »
And the flying doc merely illustrates that voluntary quarantines never work.

Except that it wasn't even a voluntary quarantine; CDC told her it was OK to travel.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #395 on: October 16, 2014, 09:45:41 AM »
Except that it wasn't even a voluntary quarantine; CDC told her it was OK to travel.
I heard she is claiming that she asked to travel and was told it was okay.  Claims they told her that her fever wasn't high enough.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #396 on: October 16, 2014, 09:54:16 AM »
I don't disagree and more than likely most immigration could be stopped from the hot zones, well unless they went through Mexico first.

The question is who is going to got to the hot zones and keep the people from immigrating elsewhere and spreading the disease to others? Damn near be impossible to ban the entire world from entering the US.

Err... unless they are swimming across the Med or the Atlantic (after walking through several countries that have already closed their borders), they will have had to get on a plane and use a passport.

Now, I might be just making things up here, but aren't there some type of computation devices that track where an individual's origin was while on the flights on those new-fangled aereoplanes?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #397 on: October 16, 2014, 10:03:56 AM »
I heard she is claiming that she asked to travel and was told it was okay.  Claims they told her that her fever wasn't high enough.

99.5 really isn't.  That would be like diagnosing someone with a heart problem based on a 10% elevated rate, from one measurement, without knowing current mental state and recent exertion.

Also depends on the method; when one of our friends got one of those non-contact thermometers, we played with it for a while.  Different vasoconstricting and vasodilating foods will let you register a strong fever or severe hypothermia on the thing while perfectly healthy.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #398 on: October 16, 2014, 10:25:35 AM »
Shows a lack of discretion and judgement all the way around.

Even though you've had contact with a fully symptomatic individual your fever isn't high enough yet to be of concern!   :facepalm:

Instead of telling her to lay low and monitor her condition they gave her the go ahead to interact in one of the most public forums possible that has the most potential to facilitate the spread of a infectious disease!  :facepalm:

We live in bizzarro world.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #399 on: October 16, 2014, 10:39:24 AM »
http://www.whdh.com/story/26802882/dallas-nurse-speaks-out-about-ebola-preparedness

Dallas nurse dimes the hospital out for making them use suits that exposed part of their necks.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”