Author Topic: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US  (Read 145908 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #425 on: October 16, 2014, 06:11:58 PM »
FTR, I would block all citizens/residents of the W African countries with ebola in a travel ban, not just travelers through.

We do so little for-profit business over there it is lost in rounding errors.  And the significant business we do (oil from Nigeria) can be handled almost 100% hands-off with the boat trip pretty much being its own 21-day quarantine.  I can almost guarantee you American oil execs are not chomping at the bit to jump into an ebola epidemic.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #426 on: October 16, 2014, 07:12:23 PM »
FTR, I would block all citizens/residents of the W African countries with ebola in a travel ban, not just travelers through.

We do so little for-profit business over there it is lost in rounding errors.  And the significant business we do (oil from Nigeria) can be handled almost 100% hands-off with the boat trip pretty much being its own 21-day quarantine.  I can almost guarantee you American oil execs are not chomping at the bit to jump into an ebola epidemic.

Nigeria already cleaned up their ebola problem through some pretty draconian measures... The US having open borders with the ebola-lands could come back to bite us if Nigeria refuses to do business do to an ebola epidemic in our country.

Let that sink in.

Nigeria could stop commerce with the US if we become an ebola threat to them.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #427 on: October 16, 2014, 11:04:32 PM »
Why is Ebola spreading? Just look at the flippant, dismissive attitudes about the seriousness  of the disease here and elsewhere...yeah, it's easy to say "well don't come into contact with an Ebola patient" but it's damn hard to tell who is a carrier of the disease before it shows the more advanced symptoms...it may not be airborne but with the way it spreads it doesn't necessarily have to be to start a pandemic, even in a "first world nation" where it is supposedly "impossible"

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #428 on: October 17, 2014, 02:04:45 AM »
Nigeria already cleaned up their ebola problem through some pretty draconian measures... The US having open borders with the ebola-lands could come back to bite us if Nigeria refuses to do business do to an ebola epidemic in our country.

Let that sink in.

Nigeria could stop commerce with the US if we become an ebola threat to them.

Yes, and the sun could potentially go dark, freezing all life on Earth.

Both events are possible, but are equally likely to occur this fiscal year.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #429 on: October 17, 2014, 06:25:11 AM »
Looks like Belize knows how to take it seriously ...  [ar15]

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2014/10/17/texas-based-carnival-magic-cruise-ship-stuck-at-sea-with-4633-passengers-and-dallas-healthcare-worker-with-ebola-symptoms-belize-refuses-port-entry-belizeans-saying-sink-ship-armed-belize/#more-90667

Texas-Based Carnival Magic Cruise Ship Stuck At Sea With 4,633 Passengers and Dallas Healthcare Worker With Ebola Symptoms – Belize Refuses Port Entry – Belizeans Saying “Sink Ship” – Armed Belize Coast Guard Keeping Ship At Sea…

The President of Belize’s quarantine may have come too late for Belize: “In a late night official press release issued by the Belize Press Office, the Belize government offered its version of the Belize Ebola incident. It stresses that while the patient did not disembark in Belize, it does not address the question that thousands of cruise ship passengers that may have had contact with the patient(s) did in fact disembark and tour Belize City today…”

« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 06:55:13 AM by Chester32141 »
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #430 on: October 17, 2014, 06:42:55 AM »
Lots missing and contradictory in that story. But that's typical

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

• friends
« Reply #431 on: October 17, 2014, 06:58:58 AM »
Yea Belize did great. They made some noise but let all the other passengers off the ship for their mandatory shopping trip

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #432 on: October 17, 2014, 07:35:47 AM »
Yea Belize did great. They made some noise but let all the other passengers off the ship for their mandatory shopping trip

Business and money for the win, Alex.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

• friends
« Reply #433 on: October 17, 2014, 07:42:54 AM »
It shows that politicians are universally stupid

• friends
« Reply #434 on: October 17, 2014, 08:04:40 AM »
If I were carnival I would reroute from now on. Belize would be off the list. Belize needs them more than they need Belize

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #435 on: October 17, 2014, 08:14:57 AM »
Because I'm not quite clear on this-

Someone who is "self-quarantined" and "monitored" for Ebola, after being exposed to Patient Zero, WENT ON A CRUISE WITH 3000+ OTHER PEOPLE IN A CONFINED SPACE!?!?!?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #436 on: October 17, 2014, 08:48:22 AM »
This is starting. To look like a really bad movie [popcorn]

Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #437 on: October 17, 2014, 09:14:40 AM »
This is starting. To look like a really bad movie [popcorn]

If it mutates into huge spiders on that ship we're officially living in a SyFy Original motion picture.

I also am wondering how frakking stupid texas nurses are.  They KNOW that guy had ebola.  Postpone travel for a little bit. 

My wife's hospital is considering plans to keep all workers who contact any ebola patients in the hospital for 21 days.  A mini little wing just for the workers, just to make sure.  Texas Presby didn't just send them home, but approved vacation time.  At min. you'd think another healthcare worker would want to check on them until the incubation period was up.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #438 on: October 17, 2014, 09:52:01 AM »
I also am wondering how frakking stupid texas nurses are.  They KNOW that guy had ebola.  Postpone travel for a little bit.

The problem is that they had the "experts" at CDC telling them all that there was no risk, that the protocols we now know didn't even exist were more than enough to keep them completely safe, and that they were OK to travel until after the ship left port.  That type of authoritative answer is supposed to be something you can count on even when it contradicts your limited knowledge of a situation you've never had to deal with before, never expected to have to deal with, and probably never even saw much detail about in your textbooks.

• friends
« Reply #439 on: October 17, 2014, 10:06:49 AM »
She was a supervisor in the lab. She MAY have handles his samples. And dollars to donuts she's fine

brimic

• friends
« Reply #440 on: October 17, 2014, 10:08:29 AM »
If it mutates into huge spiders on that ship we're officially living in a SyFy Original motion picture

Or Ebolanado.

Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #441 on: October 17, 2014, 10:09:59 AM »
Sharkbola!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #442 on: October 17, 2014, 10:19:44 AM »
If it mutates into huge spiders on that ship we're officially living in a SyFy Original motion picture.

Only if it mutates to social spiders, actually that might make for an interesting but really cheesy horror flick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_spider

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #443 on: October 17, 2014, 10:33:35 AM »
"Of course, you can’t expect our government to be as competent as Nigeria’s."

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2014/10/ebola-panic-and-the-limits-of-political-sanity.php

No explanation offered by the White House or the CDC about our refusal to impose a travel ban on Liberian or other visitors from affected west African countries to the United States makes sense, or so it seems to me. Indeed, what has been said (again, so it seems to me) ranges from the nonsensical to the absurd, from BS to balderdash. If a travel ban would serve to protect American citizens and institutions, however imperfectly, what is the rationale for refusing to impose one?

=================

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AF_EBOLA_AFRICA_CONTAINMENT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-10-16-14-24-38

Africa stems Ebola via border closings, luck

Health officials battling the Ebola outbreak that has killed more than 4,500 people in West Africa have managed to limit its spread on the continent to five countries - and two of them appear to have snuffed out the disease.

The developments constitute a modest success in an otherwise bleak situation.

Officials credit tighter border controls, good patient-tracking and other medical practices, and just plain luck with keeping Ebola confined mostly to Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea since the outbreak was first identified nearly seven months ago.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #444 on: October 17, 2014, 10:40:18 AM »
The problem is that they had the "experts" at CDC telling them all that there was no risk, that the protocols we now know didn't even exist were more than enough to keep them completely safe, and that they were OK to travel until after the ship left port.  That type of authoritative answer is supposed to be something you can count on even when it contradicts your limited knowledge of a situation you've never had to deal with before, never expected to have to deal with, and probably never even saw much detail about in your textbooks.

You know how we feel about the ATF?  That's how my wife and her colleagues feel about fed.gov health agencies, CDC included.  And that is not a new opinion.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #445 on: October 17, 2014, 10:46:16 AM »
You know how we feel about the ATF?  That's how my wife and her colleagues feel about fed.gov health agencies, CDC included.  And that is not a new opinion.

In ambulatory care, we have a new four-word curse phrase, courtesy of the Feds: patient-centered medical home.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #446 on: October 17, 2014, 11:06:55 AM »

ATF doesn't put out safe firearm handling guidelines.

If they did, I'd bet a lot of people would cite them as an authoritative source, even if they were wrong.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #447 on: October 17, 2014, 11:22:43 AM »
Oh lovely.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/10/17/rep-peter-king-serious-concerns-about-nigerian-passenger-who-reportedly-vomited-died-on-flight-to-jfk/

“These individuals transit the airport with the rest of the traveling population, including using the restrooms,” King wrote. “It is only after they arrive at the Customs and Border Patrol primary screening location that they are separated and sent to secondary inspection for a medical check and to complete the questionnaire.”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #448 on: October 17, 2014, 11:25:54 AM »
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/10/travel-ban-flights-ebola-111961.html?hp=f1

"Why a travel ban wouldn't work"

A breathtakingly shortsighted article.

Let me break each one down:

1. It would choke off aid and could worsen the outbreak
Travel goes both ways, and cutting off transport from West Africa would hamper the flow of medical supplies and aid workers into the afflicted region. That could allow the disease to spread further, allowing more cases to crop up around the world, including the United States.

Flights can still go IN. We're just stopping the out. You are concerned about aid? PROVIDE it with military planes. (Also you can have complete separation of the workers on the plane and the ground. Plane drops the stuff off, workers come get it after they taxi away.) And the workers? It's now part of the cost of providing the aid. If you want to come back, you go through a 21 day quarantine before getting on said military planes.

2. It would make it harder to track infected people
Experts say a travel ban would make people less likely to seek treatment or be honest about any contacts they have had with Ebola patients. And it could encourage people to leave West Africa in other ways before heading to the U.S., making them harder to track.

I am absolutely astounded by this one. We can't track an individual's origin? The nearby countries aren't already banning travel? We can't check someone's passport? We can't check a travel itinerary.

Yes, people will lie and people will get false travel documents. Those things take TIME and will make the symptoms more likely to appear before boarding. I honestly cannot believe these hacks are trying this as an excuse.

3. Lawmakers are long on opinions, short on practical ideas
Several lawmakers, mostly Republicans, have suggested the administration impose travel restrictions but have offered little in the way of how to implement a ban.

I'm sorry, a travel ban ISN'T HARD. Several other countries have already implemented one. How is "OH YEAH, HOW'S IT GOING TO WORK!!!???" an argument?

4. The math doesn’t add up
Health officials say the best way to control the outbreak is to stop the disease at its source. The methods employed to stop it from spreading elsewhere involve conducting airport screenings for West African travelers, both when they leave the area and when they land at their final destination.

So, this is one is saying the costs outweigh the benefits. As I've noted, they have inflated the costs and downplayed the benefits. This one (like the one before it) isn't really a new argument. It's just basically saying that the first two arguments mean we can't do it.

Honestly, this is the best the weasels can come up with?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #449 on: October 17, 2014, 11:34:42 AM »
Oh lovely.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/10/17/rep-peter-king-serious-concerns-about-nigerian-passenger-who-reportedly-vomited-died-on-flight-to-jfk/

I saw that one yesterday.
If they checked the deceased and cleared him of ebola, he was probably clear of ebola. If he was vomiting before suddenly dying, it could mean something as common as a heart attack or stroke. IOW, if he wasn't bleeding out of some or all of his orifices/eyes, it wouldn't be a bad assumption that he didn't die of ebola. He also came from Nigeria, which is reputedly clear of ebola.
Peter King is making a fool out of himself on this one, where there are very grave and legitimate concerns elsewhere that would better merit his attention.

Barack Obama