Author Topic: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US  (Read 145871 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Ebola: first case has been confirmed in the US
« Reply #450 on: October 17, 2014, 11:35:56 AM »
Peter King is making a fool out of himself on this one, where there are very grave and legitimate concerns elsewhere that would better merit his attention.

When doesn't he make a fool of himself? He is the Joe Biden of the GOP. :)
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #451 on: October 17, 2014, 11:37:11 AM »

I was coming to edit brimic's line to "Peter King is a fool."

ETA: Just a bit less gaffe-ably affable than Biden.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 11:42:25 AM by SADShooter »
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

brimic

• friends
« Reply #452 on: October 17, 2014, 11:40:35 AM »
True dat.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #453 on: October 17, 2014, 11:46:59 AM »
I saw that one yesterday.
If they checked the deceased and cleared him of ebola, he was probably clear of ebola. If he was vomiting before suddenly dying, it could mean something as common as a heart attack or stroke. IOW, if he wasn't bleeding out of some or all of his orifices/eyes, it wouldn't be a bad assumption that he didn't die of ebola. He also came from Nigeria, which is reputedly clear of ebola.
Peter King is making a fool out of himself on this one, where there are very grave and legitimate concerns elsewhere that would better merit his attention.

I see others already curb-stomped his reputation.  I'll just give it the old "+1."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #454 on: October 17, 2014, 01:47:58 PM »
Now a scare at the Pentagon.  The lady involved was supposedly in West Africa recently, got off a bus and puked in the parking lot.  Hopefully it was just something she ate or a common stomach bug.
I suppose this will go on for awhile yet, another scare every day or two.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #455 on: October 17, 2014, 02:08:27 PM »
Peter king is the kinda guy who reaches across normal philosophical chasms and allows diverse perspective to find common ground

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #456 on: October 17, 2014, 02:37:21 PM »
Now a scare at the Pentagon.  The lady involved was supposedly in West Africa recently, got off a bus and puked in the parking lot.  Hopefully it was just something she ate or a common stomach bug.
I suppose this will go on for awhile yet, another scare every day or two.
We just need to drop leaflets over western africa with maps to NSA installations that are labeled 'ebola cure here!'  :laugh:

Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #457 on: October 17, 2014, 04:12:04 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #458 on: October 17, 2014, 04:13:41 PM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #459 on: October 17, 2014, 04:32:01 PM »
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-23/inside-an-ebola-protective-suit-that-feels-115-degrees.html

Brimic will also get a kick out of this: inside an ebola suit.

Those look like saranex- no reason to not douse them in bleach before doffing- unless bleach isn't available.

My coworker and I were charging a few hundred kilos of aluminum chloride to a reactor once wearing similar saranex garb. He got overheated, I told him to go outside and get some fresh air. He took his suit off without being cautious and caught some HCl fumes which weren't good for his chronic asthma.
After that incident, I was pretty much just me handling the aluminum chloride, and I would walk outside to be hosed off with a garden hose before degowning.

Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #460 on: October 17, 2014, 04:38:53 PM »
He took his suit off without being cautious and caught some HCl fumes which weren't good for his chronic asthma.

Not fun.  OTOH, deliming the toilet is pretty much how I check respirator fit and function; if I can see the vapor coming up out of the bowl, but don't smell anything except the rubber seal, I know the respirator is working right.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #463 on: October 19, 2014, 10:07:09 AM »
Great news for about about 4000 people!
They should still throw the bitch overboard, if only to make an example for anyone else who acts that selfishly in the future.

Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #464 on: October 19, 2014, 10:45:25 AM »
Great news for about about 4000 people!
They should still throw the bitch overboard, if only to make an example for anyone else who acts that selfishly in the future.

Meh.  She didn't have symptoms and the other nurses weren't even diagnosed until several days after the cruise left. 
Hindsight, this should have been a total lockdown of the personnel involved.  But we're just realizing in the days after that the CDC has it's head up it's ass.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

• friends
« Reply #465 on: October 19, 2014, 11:00:15 AM »
So so far the self reporting is working ? No failures of a zomg nature and it's therefore obviously flawed ? We need to do lockdowns? What about liberty? It's funny some of the folk advocating for more gov oppression . Could get tricky if they get their way with the 10's of thousands of false alarms. Maybe we can rename the FEMA camps liberty camps?
And look here
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/219638-ron-paul-warns-against-overreaction-to-ebola

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #466 on: October 19, 2014, 11:07:26 AM »
So so far the self reporting is working ? No failures of a zomg nature and it's therefore obviously flawed ? We need to do lockdowns? What about liberty? It's funny some of the folk advocating for more gov oppression . Could get tricky if they get their way with the 10's of thousands of false alarms. Maybe we can rename the FEMA camps liberty camps?
And look here
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/219638-ron-paul-warns-against-overreaction-to-ebola

Sweet baby xenu on a flaming pogo stick.  Did I *expletive deleted*ing say I am okay with quarnatining thousands of people?  Did I miss something in my post?

Like it or not, and I'm not a fan, the government has legal authority to do so, though.

And it's a hindsight discussion.  Obviously, nobody realized that the protocols broke down for some reason in the treatment of patient 0.  They *expletive deleted*ed up.  Whether the protocols were bad to begin with, or the guidlines were bad, someone dropped the ball at the outset.  I'm saying that in hindsight, if they had realized that, they should have considered quarantining the nurses. 

Like it or not, we live in a country that has socialized health care and public health. 

But if you'd like to continue to only make your arguments with links and hyporbole....oh, wait.... :facepalm:
JD

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #467 on: October 19, 2014, 11:15:36 AM »
In the interests of accuracy, I point out that the healthcare worker on the cruise ship was actually a lab supervisor, who may have handled a lab sample of Mr. Duncan.  Having worked in a hospital lab before, the potential for transmission to a lab worker is much, much less than it would be for a nurse providing hands-on care to Mr. Duncan. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

• friends
« Reply #468 on: October 19, 2014, 11:20:12 AM »
I suspect that the nurses got contaminated getting out of their suits. And I still think the total lockdown talk is a bit of what has sadly become typical american hysteria.
Or has something changed I missed. Still no Americans dead? 2 healthcare folks sick same vector? First patient?
Second guessing notwithstanding that's not too bad. I say the biggest fail was in the patient getting released, and no one in the folks he had contact with is sick yet. And that's allegedly a failure in the info collected in the er not getting in front of the docs who sent him home.

You don't like the Ron Paul link? Blasphemer!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #469 on: October 19, 2014, 11:22:30 AM »
I suspect that the nurses got contaminated getting out of their suits. And I still think the total lockdown talk is a bit of what has sadly become typical american hysteria.
Or has something changed I missed. Still no Americans dead? 2 healthcare folks sick same vector? First patient?
Second guessing notwithstanding that's not too bad. I say the biggest fail was in the patient getting released, and no one in the folks he had contact with is sick yet. And that's allegedly a failure in the info collected in the er not getting in front of the docs who sent him home.

You don't like the Ron Paul link? Blasphemer!

Not sure you're comprehending my post. 
JD

• friends
« Reply #470 on: October 19, 2014, 11:27:45 AM »
I think my response was directed to your idea that a complete lockdown of the medical folks woulda been warranted.

• friends
« Reply #471 on: October 19, 2014, 11:31:29 AM »
I think the current administration can and is playing this. When it turns out not to be the end if the world they get to play savior. And yea I think a great many folks are stupid enough to fall for that .  It's a win win for them. They can't lose. If things get worse they just throw a few folk under the bus. The same morons will love em for that . Heck

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #472 on: October 19, 2014, 11:36:09 AM »
I think my response was directed to your idea that a complete lockdown of the medical folks woulda been warranted.

In hindsight.  If they realized that the protocols had been breached.
But we know that most likely, they didn't know.  Which is also disturbing.
Notice you don't see me expecting this to be an outbreak, pandemic or epidemic.
I predict less than a dozen cases over a year.  I predict more people will drown today in the US than die from Ebola over the entire next year.

However, I also feel that Uncle Sam has it's head so far up it's ass that they are not inspiring any confidence in the handling of this fun bug.  Ebola is not an unknown quantity.  It's been in Africa for a long time.  We've been studying it a long time.
Several African nations have shut this bastard down and are no longer "hot zones". 
JD

• friends
« Reply #473 on: October 19, 2014, 12:50:58 PM »
Indeed much of the study has been done here. And that's where the protocols were born. Not on a blog.
I am looking at all the frantic waving of hands in dismay and disgust.
And it's not all estrogen based either more the pity and shame.
And my reply earlier was much too narrowly coached as a reply to you. You definitely are not one of the hand flutterers. Sorry .

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #474 on: October 19, 2014, 02:37:12 PM »
I think the current administration can and is playing this. When it turns out not to be the end if the world they get to play savior. And yea I think a great many folks are stupid enough to fall for that .  It's a win win for them. They can't lose. If things get worse they just throw a few folk under the bus. The same morons will love em for that . Heck

Yep, and I think they are evil enough bring infected people here to infect us and cause a few ebola deaths -- just so they will have something to save us from.  They think they can control it well enough to have a scary but small and manageable crisis.
"It's good, though..."